Author Topic: Car plows through the lobby at the Econo Lodge  (Read 6488 times)

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Car plows through the lobby at the Econo Lodge
« on: July 25, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Scary night.

We just got into Branson this evening. We checked in at the Econo Lodge. We had a swim. After that we decided to check out the breakfast room. There's a little outdoor area. We were standing out there...

I looked down the street, and probably 200 yards or so away, I see a car driving on the sidewalk- fast!

I yelled at my family to get out of the way. I grabbed my son Chase and pushed him out of the way. My wife got our son Owen. The car missed by 5 feet or less. We were lucky to survive.

None of us were hurt, including the driver of the car who worked at the moon river I think.

I would write more, but I'm on the iPad.

We're all a bit traumatized, but we'll endeavor to have a good vacation.

I'll try to post a pic

http://t.co/ILpVHEFe
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:32:55 AM by coalesce99 »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: We almost died tonight at the Econo Lodge
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:41:06 AM »
Oh wow! I'm so glad you and your family are all okay!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:59 AM »
Glad you are all ok. What caused the driver to crash?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:32 AM »
wow! glad ya'r alright! always gotta be alert these days, thank God all ya'r senses were working.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
WOW!!!  glad you  were paying attention!  What caused driver to loose con trol?

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »
The driver didn't remember any of it.

Of course we were suspicious...the cops did a field sobriety test and I think they were satisfied that he wasn't drunk. None of us smelled alcohol on him.

He didn't appear to have a scratch on him...

But they took him away by ambulance anyway.

Brothers and sisters... I'm one of those people who remains very calm in these situations. Things don't hit me until much later. Wow. Just wow. My family and I were literally feet from dying!

Ah well. I'm going to try to forget about it today while I'm at SDC. Perhaps i'll see one of you there. I'll be the tall guy in the Lady Gaga shirt ;)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
I'll repeat your words - Wow!  Just wow!  And in my words - How scary!

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:29 PM »
I got the call soon after it happened and Rick let me know that your family was seconds away from getting hit. I am so relieved you all are okay and so sorry this happened! It is from brief understanding that the guy driving the car may of had a seizure which caused him to lose control. We are just so relieved again that no one was hurt including Rick who was behind the desk when it happened. They are working hard to get the lobby repaired but has not hurt normal day to day business. It's my understanding breakfast, etc is all good. If any new details I will be sure to post.

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Thanks Paige. Yeah, the only other thing I could think of is maybe he was distracted (texting or something). That would explain him leaving the road and missing the light poles etc. but why wouldn't he have just hit the brakes? A blackout/seizure makes the most sense.

I can't stop thinking about the whole thing. Walking anywhere near the street is feaking me out...

Cironnu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »
Whatever caused the crash, I'm just glad you're all alright.  NOT the kind of vacation story you want to hear, especially from Branson!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
Good to hear that you and your family were not injured.  There was another incident this week of someone driving on the sidewalk on 76; that driver did hit some one and then took off.  More in this from Hometown Daily News:

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/11251/update_truck_strikes_pedestrian_on_sidewalk_.html

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
I stopped by the Andy Williams Moon River Grill -- where the guy worked. The maître d' said that the guy was suffering from heat exhaustion.

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »
There have been many reports of heat exhaustion here in Branson including fire fighters. It is something we don't always think about and the effects the heat has on our bodies. I'm asking my staff to take extra breaks and we provide plenty of water to ensure all is good.

Coal, again we are just so relieved you and your family are okay and that I did get a chance to talk to you today. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanks Paige!

Really appreciate it. For what it's worth we really liked the Econo Lodge. We'll be back. Thanks!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
That’s incredible! Some things in life are all about being in the right place, or the wrong place at the right time. Thankfully, you and you were family were in the right place, albeit cutting it close. :o