Author Topic: Red Roof Outlit Mall Status  (Read 19418 times)

underdog

• View Profile
Red Roof Outlit Mall Status
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Has anyone been by or taken pictures of the Red Roof Outlit mall since it closed? I went to visit it and the few stores that were left (got a steal on a pair of Reeboks) but haven't been back since. I didn't know if the city would keep up mowing and the tree trimming until it figured out what to do with the area. 

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Red Roof Outlit Mall Status
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
There is talk of the city putting in a sports complex but other than that only like two stores left due to they made a deal with the city as I understand. So not much more at this time but hopefully more info soon!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:17:45 PM »
I also have read a couple of times about an "organic" garden going into the complex ??? ???

i think for this year anyway the city will keep the property clean and presentable to entice new renters and investors... ;)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
never liked it cause it seemed inside out with the back of the stores showing on the perimeter.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
It was always really hot there.  Not a good layout which in turn trapped the heat in.
So are we down to just Tanger and the Landing now?  Meadows is closed too for the most part, right?
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Swoosh is correct. Tanger and the Landing are the places. Red Roof and Branson Meadows are dead. There are a few stores left, but not many. It is too bad. Red Roof used to be the only place in town...and I always enjoyed the layout of Branson Meadows, liked the Foozles book store, and my wife liked the Vanity Fair discount clothing place. At Red Roof, my favorite place was the Auntie Annie's fresh pretzel place. Tanger is good, the landing looks nicer, and I like walking through Pro Bass Shop. I think it's cool they have a Ride the Ducks down on Taneycomo. However, I am "Mr. Old School." I wish the powers that be would have been able to preserve some of the old landmarks...Mang Field, Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise, and so on. When I was a high school kid attending Branson schools, us kids would cruise downtown, making a loop from McDonalds down the main street to the lakefront, and then circle on back around and back up to McDonalds. We thought we were soooooo cool! 8)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Dude I was so cool I cruised main with my mom so I wouldnt have to drive and spend more time looking at the boys!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
Dude I was so cool I cruised main with my mom so I wouldnt have to drive and spend more time looking at the boys!

Yo!  I was so cool I made sure that I always sat on the passenger side of the car because you can't be seen if you're stuck in the back seat! ;D

Trams!  Dude!  Seriously?  Your mom??? 

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
I know. My mom rocked. We would all gather at my house and my mom would fire up the stang. We would put the top down and misbehave. It was so much fun. No responsiblity of driving. My mom was a hoot. She would condone mooning. Ha! So yes. I took mom cruising main and LOVED IT!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »
I know. My mom rocked. We would all gather at my house and my mom would fire up the stang. We would put the top down and misbehave. It was so much fun. No responsiblity of driving. My mom was a hoot. She would condone mooning. Ha! So yes. I took mom cruising main and LOVED IT!

If I did that with my mom, she would have to drag my four siblings along, and she would have had pink curlers in her hair.  ;D  My grandmother, on the other hand, would have probably said, "Cathy, turn on the car radio and wait while I touch up my makeup and put on a new blouse!"   :D :D

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »
I haven't ventured into Branson this year, but I thought that the stores that didn't have a presence at Tanger that was at Red Roof was mostly going to Meadows cause it was managed by the same outfit, Simon. There's really nothing all that cheap about outlets. Lots of them have product lines just for those stores.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
we catch a movie at the Meadows every now an then..

I can tell you that it appears to have more vacancies than tenants...

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »
That's sad to hear. I've always liked Red Roof not because of the stores so much, but it has a bit more character with the grassy areas, the staircases, etc. Tanger is nothing but a parking lot with 3 walls of doors. Meadows is not much better. The old Red Roof for all it's faults at least had a bit of charm, when you walked around it didn't seem like you were just going from one end of the concrete to the other. My .02
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

underdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
Ok so I stopped by the Red Roof this weekend and wandered the whole place. The entrance over by White Water is chained off with signs that say "Trespassing City Property" so I parked at White Water and hoofed it in. The whole place was deserted until I saw some "mall walkers" and then discovered that the Crocks store was still somehow open. I walked in and sure enough the music was playing and there was about 10 people in the store. Keep in mind I'd been walking around for probably 30 min without seeing anyone before I came across this. It was like suddenly stepping through a time bubble.

I talked to the sales associate and she said that they were the only remaining store left and that the other entrance was still open. They had a big tarp on the rear part of their store saying "Yes, We're Open." They struck a deal with the city to be there until Christmas and then they will be moving to Tanger.

So there you have it. Even though the bathrooms are locked, the trespassing signs are up, the soda machine's are turned off, and google maps says "Permanently Closed" we were able to still visit the last remaining shop it will ever have.  I plan on checking up on the place about twice a year just to see how well they keep up with the grounds and see the dilapidation. Other than that I see it being there unused for a very long time.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
A sad, slow death end to a once thriving, vital place in Branson. I don't really expect anything to go in there soon. Thanks for the update.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"