Poll

Does Grand Exposition seem out of place for Silver Dollar City?

Yes
No
Maybe

Author Topic: GE  (Read 10689 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: GE
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
This is going off into a New attractions direction but here is the new ride at California Adventure, kinda like bumber boats but on dry ground

It doesn't have to be cars per se.... come up with some kinda fictional steam powered hovercraft contraption.

You'll hear a negative like capacity get thrown out.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
the round bumper on these could be easily designed to look like wagon wheels :)

zsc100

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
I voted "YES".  But, I have two kids 4yrs and 4months.  Even though GE doesn't fit the theme, I agree with its need for little kids and I'm happy that SDC management recognized that it didn't fit the theme and decided to segregate it from the main park.  Some time in the past,, maybe 10 or more yrs ago I remember when a few of the "carnival like" rides were where river blast is now.  Right smack dab in the middle of all the SDC unique goodness so many of us come back for; it was absolutely disgusting to my whole family who are lifetime patrons of the park.  I can still remember when I would walk up the hill toward the saloon show and just before passing under the railroad track would look to the left and just be ashamed of that area, how someone could completely disregard the general SDC theme and decide to put that ride there was beyond me.   I was disgusted to the point I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I'm so happy that someone with power realized that it didn't fit.  Now we can at least go to GE and satisfy the small children without ruining the theme SDC is all about.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
I voted "YES".  But, I have two kids 4yrs and 4months.  Even though GE doesn't fit the theme, I agree with its need for little kids and I'm happy that SDC management recognized that it didn't fit the theme and decided to segregate it from the main park.  Some time in the past,, maybe 10 or more yrs ago I remember when a few of the "carnival like" rides were where river blast is now.  Right smack dab in the middle of all the SDC unique goodness so many of us come back for; it was absolutely disgusting to my whole family who are lifetime patrons of the park.  I can still remember when I would walk up the hill toward the saloon show and just before passing under the railroad track would look to the left and just be ashamed of that area, how someone could completely disregard the general SDC theme and decide to put that ride there was beyond me.   I was disgusted to the point I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I'm so happy that someone with power realized that it didn't fit.  Now we can at least go to GE and satisfy the small children without ruining the theme SDC is all about.

your knocking the beloved balloons, take cover ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
Chittlins', that is what I was thinking, too. Watch out! I understand the balloon ride is laying in pieces on the grounds behind the park, waiting for a refurbishment...it may reappear. If it does, the perfect place for it is GE, or maybe the refurbished Geyser Gulch or Half Dollar Holler.  We'll see.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
I, for one, am not a defender of the balloons either! I didn't like them at all! I thought they were out of place in SDC. However, I do agree that they would fit well in GE.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
1880's theme or not.... i dont think whatever they do in the GE will make or break our park.. its lioke when you walk past the expo hall, you step into a time warp and enter a new dimension...

It makes an excellent area for the kids, so add some rides and move on,  just dont cross that threshold at expo with the out of theme sttractions.;...LOL

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
One of the things I recently noticed at Dollywood was that their County Fair area, the precursor of GE, has a lot more of the game booths. It fits their theme, but even so it doesn't look quite as charming as DW once did, but I haven't been there myself to see. Just pointing out that it could be worse  ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
The County Fair at Dollywood is just awful.  Course it *works* there because there is no real theme for the entire park.  It is just a huge juxtaposation of bunch of different themes
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
It’s interesting to note that The Grand Exposition actually started out as a back employee parking lot. To me, The Grand Exposition has always been somewhat of a stepchild to the rest of the park. I am thankful however, that the area is tucked away a bit. Out of sight, and out of mind. I do think the little rollercoaster, was a nice addition.

The flying dumbo's are definitely the worst part and IMO are the only thing that absolutely doesn't mesh well with everything else. I don't know who thought that was a good idea...

Walt Disney of course! Oh wait, wrong park. ;)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
I was pondering SDC today, big surprise. And I got to thinking about GE. We have been 5+ times this year and went to GE once. My son is in this inbetween stage where while he doesnt mind riding the cheesy elephants, its not his cup of tea. And after a ride on powder keg he just doesnt care for the tiny tot coaster. It has lost its appeal. I was reminded of the saying too old for toys too young for boys. He is too old for GE too young for WF. The only ride he is truly interested in is the elctrospin. Which he is not tall enough for. I dont want more rides for this age set. DO NOT! That is about the furthest thing from my mind. He is growing into the GG stage. Which led me to another thought. Thank goodness it is so far removed from the city itself. It really is a blessing. I am rambling. Does anyone see what I am trying to get at?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
I do remember when the GE was the parking lot area! The little building now on park that is a nursing station stuck in between Red/Gold Hall and the other exhibition/special events building in GE is the remnant of the old cabin known as "Shad's." At the time I worked there, it was used not as Shad and Mollie's old cabin, but as a security office, and a little covered area next to it was where I clocked in each day. I had to park on the employee parking lot across Highway 76 which was known at that time as "C Lot." When I first laid eyes on GE, I could not believe it! I was a bit disoriented at first, because things had changed so much. Most of us here agree, GE does not really fit in with the rest of the park theme...but I do have to admit, they did a GREAT job of taking what I consider carnival rides and tayloring them to fit in there the best they could. I still pine for the days though when that was a wooded area. I really hate the fact that they are running out of developable property, and had to build right there at the intersection of Indian Point Rd/Hwy. 76. Things have changed, time marches on...what the PTB drilled into the heads of employees when I was there was that SDC was an 1880 community in the Ozarks, and I was a "citizen" not an employee. We were required to say "howdy" to everyone we met on the streets, and we were allowed to taylor our costumes to fit our personalities, so we were more individual "citizens" rather than employees. Those days are GONE. SDC is a well done theme park, and thank goodness there is still enough of the "old days" left...the flavor, the spirit of the old days, that is. That's why we all still love the place so much. OK, all you season pass holders nod your heads, raise your hands skyward, and say, "AMEN!"  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
AMEN!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
Nodding my head,
Hands raised up,
AMEN....

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
It may break the theme some, but it filled an important niche that park was lacking.
If we are going to get all nit-picky.  Geyser Gulch is probably more out of place.
SWOOSH