Author Topic: A food stand idea  (Read 5993 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
A food stand idea
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Being as I'm native of the flat lands of the Delta and Libertyland in Memphis being a big part of my childhood, I remember one thing that I always enjoyed, Watermelon. They had a stand where you could get some watermelon. They kept the melons in a huge tub with ice and the melons floated. Man, wouldn't this fit right in with Wilson's Farm especially with the traffic that will head there with the new ride. Serve other melons like cantaloupes and honeydews and candy and caremel apples as well. Watermelons are pretty well a year round fruit these days. Make it look like a old fruit stand and the melon tub look like a giant oak barrel. Have a seed spitting prop if it serves the seeded varieties.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: A food stand idea
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
Or a seed spitting contest. Winner gets a trailblazer pass. Something useful instead of those dumb stuffed animals. What a great idea you had!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
I have always wondered why they didn't have watermelon.. They might have to try to keep it in a certain area but what a fitting snack.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
they already have the fruit stand at wilson's,,  so another one selling melon would fit right in...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »
Back in the early 80s, they tried watermelon and other fruits and had a concession called "the fruit boat" in the Riverfront area. They sold banannas, apples, and other stuff, plus soft drinks and fruit juices. It was a popular concession. Here was the problem: watermelon rinds and sticky, gooey paper plates and plastic forks left all over the place. The people working the concession patrolled from the Lumbercamp down to the diving bell, all around Tom Sawyer's Landing, in the Cookies and Cream/candy store seating area, and the seating area for the ribhouse, and along the pathways. The guests were exceptionally messy, and did not do a good job of throwing away their waste. About three or four in the afternoon, that section of the park looked like someone tossed the contents of a couple of trash cans all around. However, they did sell ALOT of watermelon. My guess is, the clean up patrol was not worth the trouble. You will remember on the "remember the sippers" thread that the reason the sippers disappeared is because of the nasty mess the empty containers left around park. Employees were constantly fishing plastic containers out of the waterways, kids dropped the sippers and left sticky messes on the streets. It seems Copper said he was cleaning along the cave pathways in the last year or so, and discovered an empty sipper behind a rock...it had been there for over 30 years! I can tell you, that watermelon on ice was GOOD! So were the apples and banannas!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
How is it any different than any of the other trash generated. Was it a stand without seating? This would be a covered eating area with picnic tables and it certainly would not be located right on the water. If Libertyland pulled it off, surely SDC can. It popular there. Besides the seed aspect is greatly reduces if you used seedless melons.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
I can see the mess ti would generate and it would be tough to keep the watermelon all in one area.
It would be a great fit but tough to pull it off. And the stickiness of the area it would be served in would be CRAZY.
Mandatory ride on the Lost river after eating watermelon......

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
MMMMMMM??  After eating a piece of melon here at the house today, your'e right..  what a hassle... even if every threw away their trash, ( which we know wont happen). The sticky mess would be awful.....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
Chittlins: I'm serious, by 3 or 4 in the afternoon there would be melon rinds, paper plates, and plastic forks strewn from the Lumbercamp to the diving bell! It was a mess. It would have taken three or four people working non-stop to keep the grounds cleaned, especially on heavy visitation days like Saturday! I wish I would have taken a few snapshots of that stuff back in the day, then you could see what I'm talkin' about! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
Well...then...how about offering frozen watermelon on a stick?  I would definitely buy frozen watermelon if it was offered in the park.  Or, put chunks of it on kabob sticks?  I would still prefer the frozen melon on a stick.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Whats bad about this conversation, is that we are mostly in agreement that there would be too big of a mess afterwards...   
Its a darn shame people wont take care of our city like we would.. 
But they dont, I was in Wilson farm last time and there was a group of 8-10 kids and parents, AND you could follow their trial out of the farm toward the main park :'(
its a shame!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 04:36:15 PM »
This idea for a stand would only work during world fest and harvest fest as the other festivals have too many tourists that think the world owes them.  The two festivals I mentioned are more AP holders
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
What's amazing was that this was never an issue at Libertyland. I Get that it was a smaller park nut that stand was popular and everyone say there and ate their slice on shaded picnic tables. Never once did I see folks take it with them. I guess us true Southerners understand proper melon eating procedure better than most. I Loved walking up to that faint tub and looking over the side and see 20 plus melons iced down floating in that chilly water. Later on in life I went and hauled melons for my Grandfathers stores straight out of the fields of NEA and the bootheel, often picking them myself by the hundreds. I LOVE WATERMELON. My thoughts will not be swayed and I want watermelon. I grow watermelons in the back yard but they are special melons.  They are yellow on the outside and red inside.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
I am a teacher, and one of my favorite stories is Watermelon Day.  It's about Pappy growing the biggest, sweetest watermelon of the season.  And, trying to be patient while it cools in the stream...waiting patiently by playing with cousins, playing another round of ball, and dancing to the fiddle; waiting patiently for Pappy to whack it with his hand and declare, "It's a watermelon day!" SDC needs to feature literature like this during Kids Fest.  Dang, I wish I was the Education Coordinator (my dream job).  ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
I am a teacher, and one of my favorite stories is Watermelon Day.  It's about Pappy growing the biggest, sweetest watermelon of the season.  And, trying to be patient while it cools in the stream...waiting patiently by playing with cousins, playing another round of ball, and dancing to the fiddle; waiting patiently for Pappy to whack it with his hand and declare, "It's a watermelon day!" SDC needs to feature literature like this during Kids Fest.  Dang, I wish I was the Education Coordinator (my dream job).  ;D

now i am hngry for another watermelon! THANKS Gilligan