Author Topic: The Waterfall  (Read 18067 times)

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
The Waterfall
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere
In the mid eighties I seemed to recall a trail that led around the pond to the Waterfall & the walking trail went behind it & out the other side. Any info on the waterfall & when they closed the path??
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: The Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Water fall was built sometime between 1971-1976. It's only a guess that as time has passed, the concrete "rocks" have possibly aged and weakened to the point it is not advisible by their insurance carrier to allow guests to walk under it anymore. I don't know what year they began blocking the path. The "cave" at the old float trip ride, now American Plunge, was replaced a few years ago with a new concrete tunnel as it apparently aged to the point it needed replacement. Also remember the waterfall feature in front of Grandfather's Mansion? It too disappeared as the concrete aged. It has been cheaper, apparently, to remove the old water structures rather than rebuild them. The park consistantly has tried to find ways to lessen their expenses while increasing profitability. That's business, but some of the old character of the park has vanished, probably forever.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:32:15 AM »
The park consistently has tried to find ways to lessen their expenses while increasing profitability. That's business, but some of the old character of the park has vanished, probably forever.

The sad part is nobody will make a big deal about it until there is no character left.  I hate to see any of it go.
I was thinking about the faces on the Miners in the FM last night, they used to have the projectors on the faces.  It was a cheesy thing but kind of neat.  When the moisture became to much of a problem ( after 15-20 years) They went with stagnant formed faces.   That odd charm was lost on that day. Falling Rockslides, small water features...... I would love to see SDC do what Disney does and try to improve the effects, not remove them completely.
The waterfull trail was a hidden little spot that was enjoyable.  It was a little off the path kissing spot for kids most of all.
At least that's what we used it for.  I wish they would being these things back.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:40:35 PM by mhguy77 »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Unfortunately I think they see it as what will bring guests... A renovated waterfall and a few restored signs and details, or a major ride or new merchandise store?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
That's it, Rube! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
im glad we can have "constructive criticism" on this subject. i used to bring this stuff to peoples attention on this site in the past and wasnt treated very well for it. i understand its a business and that our opinions might not matter, but i hope everyone will continue to voice opinions good or bad on the changes. as for the changes i find myself visiting less and less every season. i will never stop going, but i wonder if maybe these changes are hindering my decisions to go more than i think?

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:59:32 PM »
Thank you for all of yer answers & comments. I'm so glad all of you are here to help me remember. Some memories of early eighties SDC are so vague to me & after spending hours on here reading all of the threads...it good to know I'm not crazy & others remember too!
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
I'm glad I was lucky enough to be able to go to the park when you could still walk behind the Falls! I Remember it like it was magic when I was little! At least they did bring it back! At least its not gone completely :)
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »
Things evolve and so will this park and it has to to continue to capture our ever decreasing attention span. All things considered, the park has done well with the themeing but the company does need to put some effort into the effects of the dark rides. What we see as nostaligic, folks under 30 think as lame. Fire in the Hole could be incredible as it is still one of the best dark concepts I've come across. I will say this, after see the two new coaster that freefall like Verbolten and Thirteen, that would make one heck of an experience on the burning bridge in FITH.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
Maybe if so many people didn't scream for major new rides every couple of years, they might be able to invest those dollars back into the older infrastructure.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

SDC Gal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
Since my last couple of trips have been during Christmas, and if there isn't water, I assume it's weather related.  But just wondering, is there still a little waterfall going into the Springhouse restuarant?  I used to think that was the neatest little entryway, and always wanted to eat there in the old days.  It just doesn't seem to be the same these days.

Lori
Howdy Toots!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
The water feature by the Springhouse is still there. The reason the waterfall, and the creek with the artisian well, and the bucket lift system at the corkscrew overpass are usually turned off in winter is weather related. If the water were to freeze on the concrete, it could crack and break.

SDC Gal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
Thanks!  I'll have to take a look next weekend when we go!! :o
Howdy Toots!

SDC Gal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
We've been at SDC the last couple of days ( weather has been beautiful!)

So, I made a point to take a look at the Springhouse.  Yep there was the water feature.  But help me out, didnt it once kind of look like a cave as you entered instead of the wooden wall? 

Howdy Toots!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
I wish I was old enough to remember this!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin