Author Topic: So Betamike how ling?  (Read 9121 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
So Betamike how ling?
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
Betamike , now that Disney is allowing beards, how long will you let yours go? It might be cool to have one like Shad  wore.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: So Betamike how ling?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:13:21 PM »
You all KNOW that I'd be all over this.   I have very thick roots and can grow a beard within two days.  Well, not a FULL beard, but close enough.   There are limitations to the length of the beard however:

"As with mustaches, all facial hair (beards, goatees, mustaches) must create an overall neat, polished and professional look and must be fully grown in, neatly groomed and well-maintained at no longer than a quarter of an inch in length."

I would give you all the official Grooming Guideline from within the Company, but obviously that isn't allowed to post:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/01/beards-and-goatees-now-allowed-in-disney-look-for-theme-park-cast-members-casual-fridays-added/
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
I dont get it.....how can they block people from choosing to have a beard? Isnt that Beard-ist?  ???
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
I dont get it.....how can they block people from choosing to have a beard? Isnt that Beard-ist?  ???

Hahaha.  Beardist!  No one will get blocked from being able to HAVE a beard, it's just that you can't start growing it today and come in to work operating "it's a small world" tomorrow with only a day's worth of stubble.   Any facial hair (this includes when we began to allow mustaches in 1999) have to be fully grown in.   Whether this means you grow it while you are on vacation, what-have-you, or are now hired with it fully grown in, the expectation is that you don't come into work in any regard looking like you're Andy Capp on a 3 day bender.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
Oh, and the restricted piece you read (and I believe that is what you were referring to) is a clause that pertains to a very minute group of Cast Members that may work near open flame, food and beverage preparation....Golly, not sure.   Just whatever is deemed not conducive to safety or sanitary needs of a specific location.   Those instances will be very few, but a loophole nonetheless.

I've already seen beards as of TODAY and the policy doesn't go into effect until February 3rd.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »
Hmmm I dont see how someone somewhere hasnt been sued for this clause. For instance, working near open flame and not having a beard would be the same as excluding ladies with long hair working near open flame. And they have beard nets for cooking. They look funny. I understand cast members and binge drinkers needing to keep a certain look. It would look creepy to see a pedofile lookin fella runnin the small world contraption......anyhow, I still dont see why they are beardists. Rather it be short or long grey or black. Beards a beard.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »
Well, first I would not go as far as saying that this one teeeeeeeny restriction (that probably will keep some machinist from suing from having his facial hair ripped out from some machinery) would put Disney in a beardist category.  Sure, by default, the long exclusion of any beards makes the Company an easy target.   But I can tell you from being on the inside we are VERY inclusive. 

As far as someone suing, thank GOD people are better than that especially if there is a reason; without knowing what that restriction is (and I certainly don't).  My guess is that it's Safety related.   

It's pretty crazy to see how riled up people have gotten over this announcement.  Me?  Not so much.  We've had beards at Disney for YEARS now.   Contractors, Imagineers, and Animators have had them...just not the theme parks based on a grooming guideline that frankly, is part of what Guests themselves have said set our Company apart.   If you study the history of our Park's creation, you know that clean shaven is one of the things Walt Disney demanded his theme park employees to observe.   One of the things people don't know is that we have been pushing for this change for what seems like EONS and have come close for quite a few years, but the focus groups of Guests kept saying the clean shaven look is what set Disney apart.   So the Company to be beardist....not so much.   Late for the prom...ummmmm....probably.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
I'll try to find out the nature of the restriction and report back.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
Oh its not that big a deal I am just nosey when it comes to silly things like that. I hope I didnt offend you. Clean shaven people are going to show more trusting qualities than someone who is unkempt. I get that. I just realized that there was a beard ban. Found it a bit funny.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
Oh, gosh....it takes TONS to offend me ;D   I am ultra-aware of the hilarity of this even making the news this week.   I just think it's also pretty funny how it's been too long in coming.   

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
I am surprised it has taken this long!  It seems every picture I ever saw of Walt Disney he was with mustache.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
Yep!  That's exactly what made our company introduce mustaches in 1999.  A Cast Member pointed that out to our Grooming executives.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
Yep!  That's exactly what made our company introduce mustaches in 1999.  A Cast Member pointed that out to our Grooming executives.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »

My sister's boyfriend refuses to cut his hair. He says, "Jesus had long hair." (its only to the top of his shoulders, so I don't think its a big deal. But if it gets as long as mine, we'll start talking!)
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
Ha!  Or give him a set of curlers as a hint.