Author Topic: Craftsman Downsizing  (Read 12205 times)

craftsman73

• View Profile
Craftsman Downsizing
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:59:45 PM »
Has anyone heard of the downsizing of the craftsman at the park? I have heard several conversations about this. The craftsman are a big part of why our family goes. The rides are fine and all but isn't it really the home of the American craftsman.... I can spend alot of time watching the blacksmith, glass blowers, woodcarvers, etc.. If they are really planning to downgrade these things don't you think it will take away from the attraction of the park and make it just like every other theme park. Could you imagine going there and for example walking into the carving shop and there would be no carvers to watch or no one blowing glass in the glass shop.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Craftsman Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
Well, we do know hours are being cut here and there. I'm sure downsizing in this case will mean they won't put on anything that isn't going to be ostensibly noticeable to guests. This might mean we will see a lot less of the steam powered lathe, log cabin building, and lesser known craftsmen such as the guy that cuts designs into glass in the glass shop and the broom maker. We might also see less in general of the craftsmen as they put on less demonstrations.

It's sad because I really think the park earns their ticket price through the craftsmen. The rides are nice but you can get more and cheaper elsewhere, and the food and shopping isn't exactly a selling point anymore since you can do a lot better at the Landing or any mall outside the park. The crafts are the heart of the park, and they would do well to set themselves apart from the competition by putting more emphasis back on them. I don't think people even know about half the craftsmen in the park. I didn't know about the glass cutter until my last trip to the park. Hmmm, maybe I should work on adding more info about them to the site over break so people can be sure to support them next season.

craftsman73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
I would be very supportive of getting the word out about bringing the crafts back. It seems that the focus is on import items and not hand made items. I don't want to purchase products made in china when I go to see craftsmen demonstrating their craft or trade. I think they need to take a long hard look at why people actually come to the park, and your right it is because of the craftsmen.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:21:26 AM »
over the years the number of craftsmen have decreased on park...in the mid 80s visitors began to tire of historical attractions. this was about the time the park started moving toward expanding the season with christmas, and shepherd of the hills sold in the mid 80s, then SDC diversified with the showboat, ride the ducks, dixie stampede, and so on...later celebration city. So, the craftsmen have been decreased steadily since the mid to late 80s. People are not buying the arts and crafts as they did in the 1960s-early to mide 80s, and that is why. They can put in shops with import stuff that sells, or keep dozens of craftsmen on park that don't make them as much money as the old days. Support the craftsmen and buy their wares, and you will help contribute to keeping them around.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
I don't want to purchase products made in china when I go to see craftsmen demonstrating their craft or trade. I think they need to take a long hard look at why people actually come to the park, and your right it is because of the craftsmen.

My sister's boyfriend's grandma (Becky) was at SDC with us during one weekend of National Harvest. We went to Christmas Hollow cuz Becky wanted to get an ornament for her newest grandbaby. She was looking at all the ornaments and decided not to buy anything. She said she didn't come all the way to SDC to buy something from China.

I love watching the craftsman! The two main things I go for that I can't get anywhere else is the old timey charm of the park and the craftsman. I have so much handmade stuff from SDC, one of my friends asked if I was part Amish. I made a rule that the only stuff I buy in the park has to be handmade. I think the only exception I've made were the 2 garters I bought myself and I bought some trading pins. The rest of the stuff I own from SDC that's not handmade was given to me as gifts.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
I do hope they are not going to "cut" back on the craftsman..  IMHO they are already cut way back.!

I was hoping that since they added the log builder this year, maybe they were going to get back to the "roots" of SDC. ;D

I refuse to buy anything there made in china,  which makes it real hard sometimes.  But I can buy china made products anywhere!

craftsman73

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
So what can be done to get the word to the people that make decisions. We support the craftsman will all of our purchases. We love the pottery and have more pieces than we can use, we also have several glass items, woodcarvings, etc. I understand the import items make them more money but that's not what the park is about. One memory I have that stands out for me is going down into the carving shop and seeing tons of handmade suveniors and the people carving some of those items. We take our daughter there to get exposure to these individuals that have wonderful talents in all art forms and to show her that it's not just about going to the store and buying something that is made in china. Those craftsmen take the time to produce quality items and that means alot more than a mass produced item. I hope someone higher up at the park is reading things that the guests want and makes changes for the better to show they care.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
We bought yet another craftsman made item there jsut last month and have another itme or two on the list for this wekend.  Of course, i recognize that I am out of step with modern culture, but SDC is SUPPOSED to be out of step with modern culture. . . .  How to maintain that and keep the doors open?

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
We have always loved the demonstrations of the crafts.  But i must confess, other then candy, candles, and other small inexpensive items we haven't sent enough money to support the crafts.  I don't know the answer to the made in China problem.  My favorite CC coffee mug, made in china!  The sheer volume of items stocked at SDC would prevent in house production.  US made t-shirts probably don't exist?   But anything is possible. I saw a news story of a small company in the US making chop sticks, made to ship overseas.  Maybe Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation could open a small operation to produce just one item, (t-shirt) in a nondescript warehouse and supply all their parks with a US made t-shirts.  It could provide new jobs in the Branson area or provide off season work for some park employees? Just a thought!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
I always stock up on candles because I refuse to buy them anywhere else but SDC. I bought 6 or 7 candles during my last visit for Christmas presents.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
"I hope someone higher up at the park is reading things that the guests want and makes changes for the better to show they care."

--I can asure you, they do read these post.

"I always stock up on candles because I refuse to buy them anywhere else but SDC. I bought 6 or 7 candles during my last visit for Christmas presents."

--I have found that SDC Candles have the longest lasting scent. We purchesed one at the Harvest Festival, and put it in our Master Bath, never lit it, but I can smell it every time I walk into that room.

To me, the Craftsmen are the heart & soul of Silver Dollar city, each and every one is as important as the last.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »
I think they need to take a long hard look at why people actually come to the park, and your right it is because of the craftsmen.

I think the problem is that these days more people come to the park for rides and general entertainment, not the old timey stuff. It's when they get there that I think people actually begin to appreciate the craftsmen and all the special old timey stuff, even if they don't completely realize it. Consciously or unconsciously, I think it's what makes the park worth a bigger ticket price for most people, but with them begging people to come in at $30 bucks or less a pop, that's going to go away real quick unless people's habits change. I think a lot of the current younger generation is going to snub a lot of the crafts and old stuff because it's what our parents were into. It will definitely be a challenge to overcome this and keep the place special, but I know they can do it if they try.

As for all the made in china comments, I'm not sure what you expect the park to do in a lot of cases. If they didn't stock their stores with merchandise made elsewhere they'd all be pretty much empty. There's only so much that can be made by hand by a handful of people, and a lot of it doesn't even sell. They need these stores to actually sell things if they're going to stay open.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
In the days of peak craftsman product demand, the craftsmen had from November through March to produce product and get it ready for the summer season. In the winter time, they set up crafts workshops in the HH, and I remember the basketweavers working in there. Also, some of the hand made items were purchased from potters and other craftsmen who supplied the city, but lived and worked in the Ozarks in Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Don't know if they still do it, but at one time they had the craftsmen train fellow park employees in the winter months how to make things including brooms, baskets, pottery, and so on. It was a way to continue the crafts from one generation to the next, and to make an in-house team of people who could make things that could be sold on park. The time period I'm talking about is the mid 70s through the mid 80s.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Someday I will carry on the legacy, right now I am just honing my skills!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
As a former craftsman (oh...do I ever lose my skill?), some of the downsizing talk could be in preparation of the season winding down.   

I was lucky to be a part of the City when Craftsman was the height of role appointment within the Citizen groups.   I felt honored to be a part of such a wonderful tradition.   They even hosted a contest to create a "Made by hand" craftsman stamp/sticker.   All of this in the mid-late 90's

On recent trips however, it has been clear that more products are being outsourced in favor of "purchasing" items that fit the theme.  A great example is the taffy that we on this board all know and love.   It's 80% purchased...and that's being generous, may be a higher percentage!   All the jams and jellies are bought outside and just have the label stuck on them.  Of course, I don't remember too many canned goods being made there anyway.

Anywho, it is disheartening to have the "heart" ripped out of the City.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!