Author Topic: Grandfathers Mansion CLOSURE?  (Read 7171 times)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfathers Mansion CLOSURE?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 01:37:35 PM »
That's why I think the best thing we can do is encourage the park to do a serious remodeling of the attraction to bring it up to code rather than trying to keep it on life support.

I couldn't agree more.  I'm psyched for an all new, bigger and better, even cooler "funhouse", with viewing areas for the disabled guests to enjoy the "gravity room" features.

I'd still be quite sad to lose our current GM though.  It's rather historic at this point and becomes better with age.  It's past the stage where it's just getting old and outdated and nearly reached the stage where it's more like, "Wow, this is really old and cool for that reason."  Keep the paintings clean and what we have is a museum piece.  I know the bottom line is the bottom line, laws are laws, and judgement calls have to be made, but if this were to go, what's next?  It's a Small World?

Junior:  The more my memory is jogged about the Bell the more I regret its fate.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »
Injun Joe: With today's special effects, bringing back the diving bell would be fantastic. It would be nice to see, but don't really know if SDC would revisit the past like that. I think if they did they could put the attraction in the spot the waterboggin occupied next to the kids attraction on the lake, but, likely something else will eventually go there. Time marches on.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Granted I can only speak for the st louis area since that is where I work for code enforcement. Grandfathers mansion does not fall under some of the same rules as a grocery store, departmet store or apartments. Since it is considered an amusment the need for ADA requirements is completely up to SDC. I do inspections on carnivals and picnics and there are no ADA requirements for them. The key is that it has to have the proper safety precautions in case of fire or power failure. Becuase you do not have to go into the atttraction. That may hurt one feelings but it is impossible to requir it. Like it was talked about before there are rides that can only handle certain size people and those are some of the new west rides and so some have to be turned away.
Also many times if you do a remodel you only have to have the part that is remodeled ADA compliant by no means do you have to bring up the entire building to that standard. The only exception to that is if the percentage of the remodel hit a certain amount.
Either way unless Branson does it differently the st louis GM would not be affected.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Either way unless Branson does it differently the st louis GM would not be affected.

The Mansion is safe.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »

Instead of looking at what you cant do, look at what you can do.

Please do not give advice to the handicapped.  Unless you have walked in their shoes, it's best not to make such broad statements. Their struggles are far greater than you can imagine.

There is so much open to those who are in predicaments beyond control. SDC has done great finding a way to open so many of their rides to everyone. Lets say your in a wheel chair and want to ride FITH. Find an attendent let them know whats up enter thru the exit with a friend to help you get on ride. It is that easy.

I beg to differ with you.  It's not that easy.  Don't assume that it is.  There are obstacles that you are unaware of.  SDC does an "okay" job outfitting their park for the disabled, but they have a long way to go in my opinion.  They need to start by educating their employees, and then move on to physical changes.  I have been called a "wheelchair" on numerous occasions within the park, and to me than is UNACCEPTABLE.  I will say with 100% certainty that the last time I looked in the mirror I was a person, not a wheelchair. 

Please do not shut down GM. There is no reason for it.

On this point, I must agree!  LEAVE GRANDFATHER'S MANSION ALONE!  It holds historical significance.  And, I have stated before - if you can't enter it, you can't enter it.  Find something else to do.  There are many other choices. 

ADA guidelines do need to be revamped!  I know that it will cause hardship to some businesses, schools, etc, and it would certainly be nice if the government would kick in and help them a bit. I teach in a school that is not accessible.  Without the use of a power chair, I would have to leave my position.  Very few accommodations have been made to help me get around.  The few that I have had to request when my power chair was delivered were rejected due to cost.  The costs to the district to honor my requests would have been less than $2,000.  Because of the clause within the ADA Guidelines - reasonable accommodations - I can't force the district to make physical changes.

I don't intend to continue on and bore you with details, but I would like to reiterate my point:  SDC can easily make changes to better accommodate their guests.  My suggestions for improvement are simple:  1)  Educate their employees  2)  Send out surveys and ask their disabled guests what would improve their day in the park  3)  Hire me as a consultant!  :)

LEAVE GRANDFATHER'S MANSION ALONE!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:13 AM »
Gilligan,
I hope you're not offended because I don't think that was anybody's intention.
I see your point. I've never had to be in a wheelchair, but I agree 100% with what you said, how nobody should give advice to the handicapped unless they know exactly what it's like. I noticed, several times over the weekend, at the Opera House where some of the ushers weren't extremely warm to people in wheelchairs. They seemed rushed, even though there was still a good 20 minutes til the show started. I'm sure the ushers were stressed. I probably would be too, dealing with huge crowds of people all day, but a huge part of the theme park business is "Service With a Smile!" It was strange how the ushers seemed more stressed at the first show than they did at the last show (the only 2 times I saw on Christmas Carol on Friday). I understand how "stressed" feels. It's easier just to grin and bear it, makes the day go by a lot faster.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:14:40 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Tiffany,
Thank you very much for your concern -  I am in no way offended!  Trams gave me an avenue to speak my mind, and I did it!  And,  I'm glad she did!  I know the PTB read these forums, and sometimes that's the best way to get a message across. My response did sound a little defensive, but it was late at night, and I jumped on the bandwagon.  I should have re-read it before I posted. 

You are right about the Opera House, though.  The friendliest people do not work there.  I posted somewhere else on here about getting stuck in there while my husband got locked out trying to find my wheelchair after an employee moved it. I'm sure crowd control is tough to handle, but they should have lots of experience by now - it's the end of the season.  Trams and I decided that we're going to be co-presidents and turn that place around for them! :)  (Hope we get a big salary!) LOL

I hope you enjoyed your trip!  Other than fly fishing, there's no place I'd rather be in Missouri during any season!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
gilligan, let me throw this in also..

I have a good friend of mine that is "handicapped"!!!!   YEA RIGHT!!  Dont tell him that. :o :o

He has been in a wheelchair for almost 20 years now, he is only 40 years old or so now,, AND there is NOTHING he cant do.  (or seems that way)..  (I dont know the terms, but he is paralyzed from the waist down)

when we are out with him, people look at us funny., 
we dont hold doors open, because he can open them.
we go upstairs, he goes around them,
go to a restauraunt, he moves chairs out of the way and wheels right in..
He wheels up to his pickup, he pulls himself inside the truck, folds up his chair, it goes int he backseat and her is on is way,!
He also plays baseball, basketball, rides quads and buggies with us,
And I wont even get into the word games we paly with each other, while doing the things we do,,,  LOL

i have learned from him that "handicap" is more of a frame of mind, rather than  physical. If dont want to be considered handicap, dont act like you are,\

He is an amazing individual.