Author Topic: Anyone agree to the spiel over in the new season pass room?  (Read 8564 times)

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Anyone agree to the spiel over in the new season pass room?
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
So I go in to get my X-mas ornament...kind of over by the Flooded Mine. I've been to SDC on 5 trips now -- on 10 days total. Apparently I can't get the ornament because we only went to 4 festivals. It has to be 5 separate festivals, so I'm SOL. Not happy about that.

Anyway, in that room, there's a lady who wants us to go listen to a spiel for 90 minutes about some hotels or something. If we did, we'd get a free Vegas vacation (there were other available destinations).

It sounds promising. But it also sounded a little fishy to me. I'd of had to have paid $30 (which would have been refunded) to make sure I'd attend the spiel.

Anyone do it? Was it legit?

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Re: Anyone agree to the spiel over in the new season pass room?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
I don't know anything about the spiel you are talking about, but my Grandma and I went to Branson for her & my bday (only 10 days apart) a few years ago. Every restaraunt we went to, Grandma said, "Watch this, we'll get free stuff." She talked to the people at the desks that give away show tickets and discounts on things. So I would go get a table while she was 'getting free stuff'. She also did this when we went shopping. Pretty much anywhere there was a person 'giving away free stuff', she would stop and 'get free stuff'. We got almost the whole trip for free. I was thinking "Maybe I should travel with her more often!"
One of my friends said "Isn't it embarassing hanging out with your grandma?" I said, "It's Branson. Its probably more embarassing for her to be hanging out with a teenager." No offense, but I do have a point.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:12:59 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
that's funny tiff and i wouldn't think you grandma would be embarrassed too be seen with you, she loves you and probably enjoys every minute of your company. and as far as the spiel i have a buddy whom i work with that does that all the time, he recently went through a divorce and has no credit so too make a long story short they run his credit and then tell him sorry we cant help you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:08:07 PM by Avalanche04 »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
I know she's likes to be with me. It was a joke. There are a lot of older people that visit Branson, so I was saying how teens don't like to be seen with other age groups, so maybe older people don't like to be seen with other age groups either.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:25:15 PM »
That spiel thing sounds like a timeshare thing. As long as you're strong-willed enough to get up and leave the second 90 minutes has been reached, I'd say go for it. My mom and stepdad did a timeshare thing in Branson, but they're way too nice so instead of getting up as soon as 90 minutes hit, they stayed for the entire spiel, which lasted some 3 hours and ended up cutting into the time we got to spend at SDC with tix we'd gotten free for going to the spiel. We also got stuck in the rundown Boxcar Willie motel instead of one of the timeshare condos they'd promised we'd get to stay at because "they weren't finished."

You also have to be very firm when they try to get you to buy the timeshare. Unless you know 100% for sure you can afford a timeshare and will actually use it, don't get one and don't let them convince you otherwise with payment plans or whatever they may throw at you to try to convince you to get it. And if you get one and want to sell it? Please be VERY careful, 'cause my mom & stepdad got duped by a fake company offering to sell their timeshare for them and they lost nearly $6,000 in the deal when the company suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. That's what put us behind in our mortgage payments and ended up with the house going into foreclosure and us having to move to a rental.

Oh, and the people trying to sell to you will be UBER-nice and will tell you their life story to try to get you to open up. They're really friendly; overly friendly. The guy who worked with my mom & stepdad through the process was this huge blond ex-wrestler guy who was really nice and even paid for our family to have a breakfast buffet with him. But as nice as he was, it all ended with my mom & stepdad being convinced to buy something they really couldn't afford and put us on a bad path financially.

So yeah... with forewarning and a strong will, you can get some good free trips out of timeshare spiel offers.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:28:50 PM by Joy »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
I have been on the Bass Pro time share deal. Used this in Pigeon FOrge to pay for my rooms. it was worth while but yes as mentioned you HAVE to be a strong willed person and just say no.
I must chime in that it really turns me off to think that SDC is letting these people in there gates.
That is expected in Branson at the Golden Coralle but not when I am visiting the city.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:07 PM »
even so it sounds like you will still be paying for something or other. My husband and I won a trip to somewhere (we didnt take) due to having had read the fine print and we would of had to pay out the tail feathers for our "free" vacay
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »
I would love to go on these...I am a tightwad, and very stubborn when it comes to spending my money...but my wife doesn't like the spur of the moment easy going trips, nor does she like wasting time on the timeshaere if she in fact will not be buying it. She is a planner, and would feel guilty about not buying or wasting their time.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
we picked up our passes and ornamnets 2 weeks ago and their was noone their doing the "spiel",,,  BUT  that does no belong in the city!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
I also agree that it doesn't belong in the City!

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
Is this for real? Sponsored by or allowed by SDC?  Can anyone confirm?  If it has to be, then keep it out by the front gate.  Really??  Very disappointing to hear about this!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »
Oh gosh.. 1 of our worst trips EVER to Branson & SDC had to do with a timeshare thingy. All we wanted was to see the show Spirit of the Dance. We got 2 tickets for free & was 3-4 rows from the stage. We went thru the whole timeshare thing, & by the end my wife was almost in tears. We kept saying no, & then he went & got his boss. Bad mistake!! That was it!! I took out my last bit of $$$$ & asked the boss -- you really think i'm gunna give you my last bit of $$$$??!! We walked out.... And will never do anything like that again. Period.

600+ posts! I'm a Blacksmith now.  :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:21:27 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
Yes they have a little dek setup where you get your season pass and where you can enter to win the boat out front. After I had gotten my pass they were asking me about a timeshare I told did not need one because we have a condo already. Well the they wanted to offer me a free meal which I thought I could sit through one of these things but the issue was I have to bring my wife and she would not go and sit through one so after that they thanked me and walked away.
I have never understood why these people expect both spouses to be there, except I guess to try to convince one and then wear the other down.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember seeing the boat during 3 or 4 of our visits, and everytime we walked passed it, Dad would say "Boy, that would be nice to have!" but he wouldn't fill out the ticket for the drawing.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
the boat drawing was inside the building when i was there last weekend... :-\