Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 724186 times)

sawblade5

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #435 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:06 AM »
I went back and looked for footers of other wooden roller coasters. I have found the footers of El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure to be similar to what is going on for the footers of the Bull here at SDC. Based on this photo here: http://www.rcdb.com/3183.htm?p=15335 you can see some similarities of the metal connection as our Bull here. So whoever is building this has taken notes from the Intamin ride at Great Adventure, so I am thinking it's gonna be wooden structured. When they get the bents in place it would have prefab footings that would bolt right onto the footers.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
It's such a double edged sword with the park only being open on weekends at the beginning of the season. On one hand, it's tough waiting an entire week to see what's been done on the new coaster. On the other, significant progress can happen in a weeks time.

Can't wait to see some vertical construction start. That should help answer a lot questions and begin to give us an idea of what this coaster will offer. 

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 31, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
No updated pics on the coaster progress? It's been a week, and it's killin' me. Still drives me nuts that SDC doesn't have the foresight to utilize a soft marketing push with this project, by posting their own regularly updated photos and updates of the ongoing construction. I understand the desire to remain tight-lipped about the details of a project for a given time, but I firmly believe that should only be prior to breaking ground. It's such a wasted opportunity to not be driving folks to the SDC site for the latest happenings within their own park. Many major parks offer videos, photos and new project construction updates to convert every ounce of anticipation and exposure into excitement that ultimately drives interest and tickets sales to the park. It's such a shame that many like us have to rely on a fan site/blog just to see what's changing at SDC.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:00:19 PM by BackInTime9 »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 31, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
I snapped a few from the area behind TGS, but nothing too great showing anything other than some earth movers.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #439 on: March 31, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »
Sounds like things have definitely slowed down some. Perhaps the contractor is able to fit the schedule around their needs to some degree since they have so much time to work with. Could be other projects they've diverted to for the time being now that so much foundational work is in place. Maybe they are waiting awhile before starting the truly vertical construction. Some of the construction looks like it's taking place out of sight way behind hobo junction.

As for the marketing, I'm positive they'll be marketing the fire out of this thing in a few months. They know what they are doing in that respect. The constant construction updates from some parks might keep enthusiasts entertained, but I doubt it helps the general public understand what is going on. When SF parks update their facebook pages with construction photos people are always asking what is going on and spreading false rumors - right on their facebook page. Sometimes it's good to control the public releases more.

krash9924

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 01, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
Took a few pictures from the train this Saturday. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krash9924/

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #441 on: April 01, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Looks like the base of the station is complete now with the footers
SWOOSH

krash9924

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
Yes, and from what it appears,it will be a short trek from Wilson's Farm.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
Do we have any clear indication of how expansive the layout will be. May seem like a silly question at this point, but from all the pictures I'm seeing, it seems like the existing footers start near the tracks and disappear down a hillside. Shave, I remember you posting an updated overhead a while ago showing where work has been done or is ongoing. Just curious if this is coaster is shaping up to be one with woods around it's perimeter, or one that utilizes the woods taking you in and out of it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
The footers/clearing is definitely stretching back into the woods behind Hobo junction. I'd appreciate it if anyone going to the park soon could cast a glance back there on the train and tell us how far back they've gotten. Seems like most of the course will be in that valley, and it might be along the lines of a slightly twisted out and back from what I can tell, sort of like the Voyage, but that's just going by what has been cleared so far.

What I find strange is the location of the train crossover next to hobo junction. Why would the track cross over here? It's a long ways from the station and there's no room for track to go on the other side. Maybe it will lead up to the break run, but it still seems like an odd place to put it.

As far as the woods go, I'm sure it will stay in the trees as much as possible like Wild Eagle does. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it will have trees that close to the track, but it will again be like the Voyage in that it charges into the woods.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
^Wait.  When was it announced that it was crossing the track at Hobo Junction?  I thought that was just a helix/turn around
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Look at some of the photos taken...they have laid concrete for a "crossing" that was not there before. I wonder if this is for maintenance access or for the public to cross into the area for some reason?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
From this video that was posted a few pages back you can see where the crossing is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtzmlVSB7OI

Start watching at the 3:18 mark and by 3:34 you can see where the footers cross the train tracks. It's way down there where the tracks meet each other not more than a hundred yards away from the hobo junction caboose. There's definately some twists and turns going down in that valley from the video as well, but it's too shaky and grainy to really tell what's going on yet.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05:55 AM »
I watched the video again, I don't see where they cross the tracks. I can see where they come up to the tracks and run parallel for short distance, but nothing showing footers crossing. When you watch the complete video and the train is on it's return run, there isn't anything shown on the opposite side of the tracks that indicate footers or clearing or anything.

There is a service road crossing that occurs in the location you are talking about, but that service road has been there a while and can be seen from some of the aerial photos that have been posted as well as the GIS maps available from the City of Branson http://69.29.44.91/BRANSON_AREA/

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2012, 08:17:10 AM »
So service road across the tracks = the coaster is going across the tracks?
Um, ok... I guess I can follow that type of logic. 
It's not going across the tracks there.
SWOOSH