Author Topic: Frisco Silver Dollar Line  (Read 13150 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Frisco Silver Dollar Line
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
If they are indeed changing up the styles so the cars will not match but will reflect theme.......?   
Thats a good idea! I just hope they do it with some effort and love instead of doing it on the cheap.
I am not a fan of fiberglass.........

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »
FWIW, the rounded roofs are in theme--at least the time period.  The roof profile we're all familiar with was far from universal in the 1880s, especially on backwoods branchlines.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
I haven’t seen a good enough look at the new cars to make a preference, but I do believe that their current cars do match many of the passenger cars of the 1880’s. I just hope the new cars don't lose any of the nostalgic feel. :-X

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »
Upon some further thought I think they can only improve the train cars.  We love them yes but they are a little rough if you take a good look a them.  This is improvement.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »
I have no doubt that they can improve the ride comfort, and ride quality, but can they improve the looks? Can they keep that genuine 1880’s feel in the new cars, or will they end up looking too modern, or fake?

cocodane3

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
The way the end of the car is constructed looks like it won't be the 4th car due to the conductor seat.Unless the other end of the car is the back. In that case they would have to turn the car around.

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
I was going to ask as well...are you still at the City?

Nope I am no longer at the city, I now work for Sight and Sound theatres in the lighting operations dept. I had been working both at SDC and S&S part time but I'm not at the theatre full time and no longer employed at the city. The stage is sure a lot better in July and December than the back of a train! lol

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Very cool. I can only imagine how the elements wear on you out there! We as guests would always move from building to building to keep cool or warm (depending on the season). Spring and Fall would be great though! I am sure it was a great experience for you at the City.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
what do citizens do in extreme heat and cold?? the costumes dont help much for the heat aspect,,,,
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:55 PM »
Back in the days I worked on park, we were issued thermal underwear shirts to put under the "Junior" shirts. Also we were issued a denim jacket. It did get kind of nippy early on some mornings in April, and in September and October. I worked there before the Christmas thing started, so those three months mentioned were all we had to really worry about. (When guests were not around prior to rope drop and after park closing, some of the guys wore modern goose down jackets to keep warm.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
I would love to work at the city and I enjoy the cool/cold days but I hate the heat of summer. and with the long dresses the ladies wear seem to me unbearable!!! AHHH! I am glad there are folks les pansy than me out there!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
We kind of liked the cold days, because crowds were low, and that meant more time to play pranks and jokes on each other, and it was just more mellow...breaks were leisurely, people seemed relaxed, happy...but when it was really slow, sometimes staff got sent home early, that meant a lower paycheck...no one liked that! Even on a slow day there were at least four of us at the diving bell, but that would usually mean only two or three rides all day for each of us, with half empty diving bells. We never turned anyone away. Seems like if there were seven or more we would take a ride, and that usually was not too difficult to round up at least that many.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 07:20:25 PM »
I couldn't handle the conductor job. As a coach in Fall, I am out side from the Heat of  summer, into cool fall, through wintery fall, and eventually winter temps... in Spring it is usually below freezing, and eventually warms up to near summer temps by the end of the season. I dread the one-two days a week in the cold when I have to coach outside all day.

I'd rather sweat than shiver any day of the week!

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »
Yup, the back of the train sure gets cold during christmas. The grandpas could go in and get warm, the conductors were so busy that we could never take a break to warm up...you've seen the crowds at the train during OTC...the hottest role is the robbers...i now have quite the hatred of overalls...

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:29 AM »
I'm smiling as I read these posts, but it's a gentle smile!

I know what everyone is talkign about.  As an ACW reenactor, I wear the wool in the heat of summer and shiver under thin blankets in the freezes of late fall and early spring.  Just last weekend, we woke up to find the water frozen nearly solid in our captain's wash basin, and I went down with the heat twice in the summer (not too many trees on most battlefields).  What made me smile is that I am volunteering for it:  nobody's paying me  :D