Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 5716 times)

ladyjayhawk

• View Profile
A few questions
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
Hi. Planning a short notice trip to SDC. What are your "must do" rides and shows at the park? What is your favorite place to eat a meal or have a snack? And what would you recommend for lodging? Thank you for your help. We are really excited about the trip, it will be the first time for most of us.  Thanks!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
welcome ladyjayhawk, enjoy the site. AND your 1st trip to the city..
Lodging: homestay inn, 417-336-2666. we get discounted rooms there, call and tell them you are a SDCFan!
Shows: heading west, saloon follies, catsh all of the lumberjack demos, watch for entertainers on the main square.
Food: molly mill has a great buffet, ribhouse has good BBQ, by lake silver you can get a great philly!
Rides: ALL of them
Have fun! here is a link that might help you plan your day.

http://hfeimages.aristotle.net/General/2011-SDC-EntertainmentSchedule-Oct12-16.pdf

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
Must rides?  For us, it's the Silver Dollar Line and the Flooded Mine.  My boys might do Fire in the Hole or Lost River or River Blast, but no visit is complete without the train and FM.

Take the time to go to the Homestead, listen to the Pickers play and Aunt Judy tell some stories.

Get some ice cream at Hannah's and a turnover at Sullivan's Mill.

These things are the heart of the city.

Your mileage may vary!   :D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
Must ride: Fire in the hole, Train, Flooded Mine, and if you dont mind getting a bit moist, Lost River of the Ozarks and American Plunge. These to me are all classics.

I adore all of the big roller coasters they have to offer. They dont dissapoint. And again if you dont mind being moist, River Blast is fun. and they do have a full body dryer for use but ya hafta pay for it.

Dont pan for rocks, waste of time and money. But do go through Grandfathers Mansion. Have a turkey leg and a bowl of Buckshot Corn.

Take time to look at things, there is alot to see and easily missed if ya buzz around too fast. Go into shops and look around, they have a great selection of different shops.

But most of all have fun! Its a great place
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

ladyjayhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
Thanks to each of you for the great suggestions! Can't wait!!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
Dont forget to ask about the cave, some might be interested in that.
Live life like it's the last day!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
Rides
Fire-in-the-hole and Flooded Mine are the classics and they are very mild rides.
All three coasters are good.  My kids love Thunderation.

Food must haves:
Ice Cream from Hannah's Ice Cream Parlor (I like the blackberry)
Cinnamon Bread from Sullivan's mill.
Apple Dumpling with cinnamon ice cream.

Other Must-do's
If you are there on a Sunday--attend the church service!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
I am a big fan of the skillets with all the assorted combinations they offer (the family feud succotash, and sausage bowl are two of my favorites). The potato bowls are also really good.

And yes, if you are church going folk, the service at the church is a wonderful way to start the day at the city (or any day for that matter!)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:15 AM »
make sure your there to early  enough 1 day to see the opening ceremony too..

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »
No one has mentioned taffy yet so I will. Go by first thing in the morning to get your free piece. Make sure to catch one of their taffy demos. Its cool to see and you get a huge chunk of taffy if not many people are around. Most of all make sure to get about 20 or so pieces of taffy. You will not e disappointing.
My favorite place to eat lunch is the barbecue place next to the lost river. After eating there I am never hungry the rest of the day. The baked beans rock there.
I would agree all the rides are worth it. You might want to do them in a particular order though. Do thunderation first. then wildfire, then the barn swing then powder keg. That way thunderation doesn't seem underwhelming after the other rides. Rid the train early so you can avoid the line.
Most of all realx and enjoy the park. If you don't get to do everything don't sweat it just have fun.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
The performances are always top notch at the park. The craftsmen, wether it be a potter at the pottery shop, or a glassblower or a woodcarver; all are quick demonstrations hat help break up the rides and the food! The Homestead Pickers will be on their porch near the city square playing and telling stories several times during the day and they are a greatopportunity to grab a drink or some taffy, and sit back to relax and laugh a bit. Like iThai mentioned above ^ relax and enjoy the park most of all! If it looks like fun, DO IT! all of us here more than likely would do everything if e had the time!

ladyjayhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »
Thanks for the additional suggestions! Where can I find the apple dumpling? That sounds really good!!

Also, are the weekends pretty crowded? Is Sunday better than Saturday? What is the most popular ride? We will try to do that first.  Thanks!

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:57 PM »
There's a stand next to and just to the left of Fire-In-The-Hole that serves the apple dumpling.  The stand is between FITH and the Opera House.  There is also a stand across the street from the Frisco Barn.  The weekends are pretty crowded with Saturday being worse than Sunday on a usual weekend.  It's better to go Wed-Thur-Fri if possible.  The most popular rides are probably Wildfire then Powderkeg (large coasters) as far as people going thru the rides.  My choice would be FITH for a classic and popular ride but it's really just a matter of opinion.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
like I said earlier Fire in the Hole is a must!!! something I ride everytime I am there. As for the most popular, thats a hard one. Just about every ride is a winner!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
Are you planning on breakfasting at the park? If so, there are a few options:
  • The buffet at Molly's Mill
  • Cinnamon Rolls (and similar breakfast items) from either Eva and Delilah's (directly inside the gates) also served at Sullivans Mill (next to the swinging bridge)
  • Apple turnovers from the Apple Butter Shop (Next to the homestead near the square)
  • Some skillets are available for breakfasts but you have to check which ones

As for rides, I am a big fan of Wildfire. The view from the top of the lift hill is well worth the line to ride.

For a leisurely ride that is fun for the whole family, The Flooded Mine offers a seated shoot out, it makes for a great after meal ride seeing that it is in no way a thrill ride that will be taxing on you. This along with the train make for great times to rest your barking dogs (feet) that will need it by lunch time! (The train is by coincidence is directly next to the Flooded Mine, so it is very convenient)