Author Topic: Top 5 Unusual Happenings at SDC  (Read 6823 times)

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Unusual Happenings at SDC
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
i only have one that i can remember at this moment, and it might have been the same one that junior had mentioned, back in the 70s i remember that the cable car coming out of the cave was broke for some reason, anyway the sheriff gave our family a ride from right outside the exit of the cave too the top. also junior i dont remember a fatal accident on the FITH, if you dont mind could you tell us about that? if not i understand just curious.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
just remembered a couple more, on the old water tabagon my uncle and his girlfriend and i were rocking back and forth around the corners and nearly went over and i mean nearly went over the edge of one of the turns,it was the first year it was open and if i remember correct they didnt have the extended saftey sides up around the turns but honestly i thought we were going over the edge. we litterally had that sponge like boat rocking. and at the end of the ride where it droped off we went airborn.and yes my uncle and girlfriend were a little on the heavy side. also when the rain maker made it rain i thought it was really raining but there wasnt a cloud in the sky, couldnt figure it out. lol

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »
i only have one that i can remember at this moment, and it might have been the same one that junior had mentioned, back in the 70s i remember that the cable car coming out of the cave was broke for some reason, anyway the sheriff gave our family a ride from right outside the exit of the cave too the top. also junior i dont remember a fatal accident on the FITH, if you dont mind could you tell us about that? if not i understand just curious.

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=833.15

I'm sure there are more if you search.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
The FITH accident was the most unfortunate incident I have a memory about regarding SDC. I knew the dispatcher that routed the train into the maintenance area. Worked with him on and off 1978-1980. I worked with his girlfriend on park, too. Good guy. Bad day. Simple human error, a mistake. Some of the FITH crew working that day doubled as "Junior" at the diving bell. It was a hard time for all. It is my understanding that steps were taken so that nothing of that nature can happen again. SDC learns from tragedy. The goal always is to provide memories worth repeating. Nobody on park then or today would ever want to see a guest have a bad experience. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
Sorry junior if i brought back some bad memories!! And thank you thelarsonsix for the link!!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
Great stories ya all!
Junior -- them stories from the late 70s & early 80s sure show how free & open people were back then.

I've told these stories before on here, but i'll re-tell them. My brother & i lied to my wife & told her she wouldnt get too wet on the water boggin ride. It was her 1st time at the park with us. Well, she got soaked. She got so mad that we had to go back to the motel so she could change clothes. Not fun.

And, i had rode the go-karts in Branson the night before & got into a crash & my glasses fell off & got crushed. Went to SDC the next day without my glasses & had a headache all day!

Heading into the park one time, we saw Catfish riding his moped with his overalls & pink long underwear on. That was a sight!

Our last trip in Aug., we was heading down into the cave, & a lady was affraid of heights. She had her eyes closed till we got to the bottom of the entrance tower to the cave.  

Rode the log ride one time, & as we pulled back in, a citizen poured a bucket of water on us. It was funny to us, but i can imagine how some people would react.

I was shooting the water guns on Lost River & hit a lady right in the face, not on purpose ofcourse, just lucky. And she says -- " i cant believe he hit me in my new sunglasses!" She was very upset.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:33:39 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
And, i had rode the go-karts in Branson the night before & got into a crash & my glasses fell off & got crushed. Went to SDC the next day without my glasses & had a headache all day!

That reminds me. Years ago when they first decided to reverse the two cars on Thunderation, my father tried it out, and suffered from motion sickness for the rest of the day! :-X

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Went on the cave tour with my family and when we got to the bottom an older couple man and wife were the last ones down.  Well she had just had knee replacement and was having lots of trouble(go figure)  the tour kept going and they turn out the lights.  Sent my younger son up to stop the guide and my son in law and I help carry her until they got some help down in the cave for her. 

Had to walk down the American Plunge ramp one time.

Walked into Grandfathers Mansion and found a couple making out.

Was riding the PowderKeg ride and my cell phone came out of the pocket at the top of one of the hills a man in the car behind me caught the phone as it hung in the air

Saw and older lady in slick shoes take a ride down a rain soaked Hill Street.  She did not fall but is was so funny to watch them trying to catch her as she was sliding.  She was twisting and turning as she slid down the hill.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
I was offered a notebook sized pork rind one day, why I didn't take it, I will never know...

I was able to sit and make baskets with Bob one cold morning while he was warming his hands (he allowed me to take over for him for a bit).

I was chosen to do a jig on stage for the Dillards at Echo Hollow, only to have it rained out before out big show biz performance.

I saw John Davidson filming his Christmas Special at the homestead. This was great to see, it might not have been too weird if the snow were not fake, it was not August, and it wasn't all being lip synced and filmed take after take.

I was able to sample the custom ordered batch of vinegar flavored taffy  one day....very unusual until you try it...then you would never know that was the flavoring!