Poll

Should Silver Dollar City Serve Alcohol

NO
27 (87.1%)
YES
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Alcohol on SDC Grounds?  (Read 20867 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol on SDC Grounds?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
I love the novels you write magnolia!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
Merged the two topics.

Anyway, I may be the only one here who doesn't see a problem with a little alcohol on park. I'm not talking bud or miller lite, I'm just talking about a little authentic wine tasting. I don't know much about the Herschend's thoughts on the subject, but if they weren't opposed to an authentic Ozark wine stand, I think it'd fit right in. I don't know anyone who gets belligerently drunk from a sip of wine.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
ok shavethewhales i will agree with you there. wine tasting and a little dheese factory maybe? i would be ok with that. but beer and wiskey no way.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »
come on who doesnt want a lil moonshine??
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »
lol Miss about my novels.

I like the tease of white lightening/moon shine just not the real thing. I mean that was always some of the funniest bits on Beverly Hill Billies, and of course on the Train ride with Icabod and the train whistle too. lol

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
I know we would all prefer to have as much of an authentic 1880’s experience at Silver Dollar City as possible, but at the end of the day it is still a theme park.

Yes, I am about to use some overly exaggerated, and overly drastic examples, but not everything has too be exactly authentic. Back in the 1880’s, it was common place for someone have a gun on their hip. That doesn’t mean that Silver Dollar City should now sell six shooters. Back in the 1880’s, the main mode of transportation was by horse. That doesn’t mean Silver Dollar City should now sell horses. Back in the 1880’s, alcohol was sold at the Saloon. That doesn’t mean that Silver Dollar City should now sell alcohol.

Like most things in life, moderation is the key. In reality, a little alcohol is fine, so long as that is not the main attraction. Plus, you have to define your criteria for alcohol. There is a big difference between selling knock off beer in a can, and authentic alcoholic recipes of the 1880's.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:44:41 PM by Ozark BBQ »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
Its the liability that would eat them up as well as the churches.  They will never do it.  Its a tough mix parks and booze, disney knows how but six flags sure doesnt.  It can effect the crowd and that would concern me.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
If alcohol was allowed at SDC we'd have all kinds of loose articles on rides!  ;)

Looks like everyone has decided that SDC only has room for one kind of spirit... the Holy one!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 11:40:20 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D All the references to moonshine and I couldn't find any last time I was there. ;D ;D ;D

No, seriously, I'll have a drink now and again, but there is no place for that at SDC.

I love the fact that there is a working church on the property, and that would definately send the wrong message.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
^^ I like that haytater! A friend of mine tells stories about being in a church school as a teen, and at the dances, the administration would walk around and pull two cuddling slow dancers apart to near arms length and tell them to "Leave room for the Holy Spirit"

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »
Ozark BBQ said:  " Back in the 1880’s, it was common place for someone have a gun on their hip. That doesn’t mean that Silver Dollar City should now sell six shooters."

Just to stir the pot a bit:  SDC DID sell six-shooters up until a coupla-three years ago, and I personally wish they would again. 

I think I noted elsewhere that I went once (just after they stopped) with the intention of getting a replica Colt Army Model 1860.  I needed one for my re-enacting, and I had my eye on one the Gun and Knife shop had, and I would have preferred giving my $$$ to SDC, but ended up having to enrich Bass Pro.

I cannot imagine that the selling of the black powder repros would lead to real shootouts on the square--heck, most folks couldn't load one if all the supplies and implements were set in front of them  ;D

My son is saving up to buy his first 3-band Enfield or .58 cal Springfield Rifle-Musket.  Such a firearm would be well within theme and hardly a danger to the City or its guests.  And it would bring a little more revenue into the coffers.  But, alas! I am sure it won't be available there.   :(

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
palallin,  i agree with you on this.. I myself am not a blackpowder enthusiast. but if SDC were to sell them , since it is time period correct. I would think it ok.. 

Years ago, the actually made rifles on site.! Now i might consider buying one of those.!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
Re:  Alcohol
I don't believe that any of the Herschends are teetotalers (having partied with some of them), and it's not due to any "religious" considerations that SDC doesn't serve alcohol.  It's simply a matter of "why open the door to the possibility of trouble?"  Some people hold their alcohol pretty well, but others do not.  But there was a time when employees were allowed to bring alcohol onto the park grounds for after-hours events (I've see the Saloon bar set up with drinks), but even that is not allowed anymore.

Re:  Firearms
Black powder guns used to be a big part of the City, and the reason they don't sell them now is simply because there is not much of a demand for them.  It was pretty fun back in the day when guests could shoot one in the demo area of the gun shop.  That became a safety concern so it was stopped even before they stopped the sales aspect.  But, I don't think they ever actually "made" guns there; the process of making barrels is too exacting even for their craftsmen.  They were able to demonstrate the process, but not turn out actual usable firearms.  What they would do is start out with a "kit" and give it a treatment...whether it be a bluing process to give it a special finish, or carving on the stock and forearm.  I've seen Bruce Grimes turn out some pretty cool looking rifles.

What is really strange to me after all these years is to see security guards carrying pistols on park.  A sign of the times I guess.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
Zephon: remember that "spirit of 76" rifle that Bruce Grimes made for the bicentennial year? It was fabulous. The stock had a detailed carving of that famous painting and was offered for sale at a premium price. Wonder what became of it?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
Would be the end of a great family park.  SDC is a theme park not an amusement park.  If you need to drink at SDC you might have a problem.    We love to have beers and bbq each night back at the condo but at SDS   NO WAY