Author Topic: SDC Candy Shop Question  (Read 7229 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC Candy Shop Question
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »
I wanted to throw out this question...perhaps Betamike or Zephon or Copper can answer...but anyone else can, too: While visiting the famous Martin Greer Candy Shop at Gateway, AR today with my wife and grandkids, I got into a conversation with his son, a college age student. His son said Martin Greer helped set up the original candy shop at SDC, known way back in the early days as "Copper Kettle Candies." I asked if he trained June Ward, who is the resident Master Craftsman at the candy shop today. He said he didn't know. So, Betamike, or any one else, ever heard of Martin Greer? What do  you know about his role in the candy shop in the early days at SDC? I can tell you that Mr. Greer, a retired educator and artist, has been working in the candy business in Arkansas for decades, and his family owned and operated shop is a place a traveler must stop at when they are going from Northwest Arkansas to Eureka Springs. All candy is handmade. The family uses equipment that ranges in age from 70 years of age to about 150 years old. They still use copper kettles everyday, and use the marble slab to roll out candy onto. As far as I know, the Greer family are the only ones in Arkansas that still practice the old methods of candy making. They do a killer business, and the prices reflect it, too. (As they should) Two moderate sized sacks of candy for us today cost $55.00! Well worth it though, from time to time. I highly reccomend a stop at his shop.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: SDC Candy Shop Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:28:23 AM »
I know that the Candy Shop used to be just off of the square proper.   This was before they had a candy production basement.   June started in the Candy shop back in 1960, but I recall her saying that she wasn't there on the first day by any means....maybe later in the year.    She is still the longest employeed citizen of the city currently.   

She learned her craft from a man she called "Pa", but it was not Martin Greer.   I know of Martin Greer having passed those billboards a million times travelling to the City as a kid, but she never mentioned him.  I wonder in what capacity he was involved in setting up the Candy Shop?   It might have been before June worked there when it was directly on the square. 

Funny you should mention the prices at Greer's because just this past month, when we were heading up to SDC, my parent's pointed the billboard out to me and mentioned how much it cost for the candy there.   $55?!  Hoooo-weee!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
From what I recall, this is "Pa Davis" that June learned to make candy from.   That's June with him in the photo during the "Root Diggin' Days"

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:47:10 AM by betamike »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:31:01 AM »
I have been to that candy shop and let me tell you their candied choco aplle dealys are to DIE FOR! mmmmmmmm yum!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
From their website http://www.martingreerscandies.com/heritage.shtml

"He (Dad) began teaching me to cook candy in 1955, and by the time I was 20 I was cooking over 500 pounds per day. Dad said, ” Son, you may not make a living at art. You need a trade, and since I’m a candy maker, you are going to be a candy maker.” As a result I made the candy that was sold at Silver Dollar City from 1960 to 1965. It was hard work, but it paid for my college."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Ah, so he may have been a peer to June (not necessarily the head craftsman) during that time.   I'll have to give her a ring and ask.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
As a result I made the candy that was sold at Silver Dollar City from 1960 to 1965. It was hard work, but it paid for my college."

Oh, and I can TOTALLY relate as that is actually what paid for my four years of college, too.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
WOW Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday... :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
that is grandpa davis! he owned grandpa's old time candy in mutton hollow. i knew the man very well he and his wife would come too our campsite and talk have coffee.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
Yep, many SDC citizens went on to either Mutton Hollow or Engler's Block or moonlighted at both.   The relationship with them over the years was very reciprocal. 

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »
Wasn't the candy shop known as "Copper Kettle Candies" even until at least the 80s or early 90s?  I could have sworn that it was called that when I was a kid.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
Little known fact:  The production platform is known as "Brown's Candy Factory" (probably including the basement too) since it is run by the famous Brown Family (yours truly is a part of).

The shop side of the building is called "Copper Kettle Candies"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
Wow, that is interesting! Such amazing history all over some edible pieces of sugar. :)

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
Little known fact:  The production platform is known as "Brown's Candy Factory" (probably including the basement too) since it is run by the famous Brown Family (yours truly is a part of).

The shop side of the building is called "Copper Kettle Candies"

Ha!  I knew I saw it somewhere!  I don't go to the candy shop that much anymore, but I'm sure I've seen it all the time (I just remember it from being a kid I guess more than I do from the recent past).

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
This just in!

I just got off the phone with June Ward, and here's what she said:

Mr. Greer did indeed make the first candy at Silver Dollar City when it wasn't as much a demonstration area, but a little shop within the City up on the square.   Much of the old equipment that is used in the Candy Factory (some of it is downstairs) was antique equipment that he used when the City first opened in 1960.   

June joined the City in 1968, the very first year that Brown's Candy Factory that we all know now (in its current location).    At that time, Mr. Greer was already gone from the City and she learned her craft from the Master Craftsmen at the time.   Paul Davis and Mr. Whitmire.   They both soon left and either retired or worked at other locations including Mutton Hollow.   June then became the Head Craftsman at that time, but always drew on their inspiration and occasionally worked with them both. 

Mr. Greer was, as she puts it, an elderly man at the time the City opened, so the shop in Gateway, AR, must be run by the 3rd generation of Greer by this point.    The statement on the website, is true however in that the first candy that was made at Silver Dollar City was made by Mr. Greer.   She said that the candy made at that time might have been limited to mostly brittles.