Author Topic: 2011 Crowd Levels  (Read 11299 times)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Crowd Levels
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »
"""Cut the number of Chinese items being sold in the stores by 50% or more."""

Double like that!
triple like that....
Colorado SDC Fan

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Something I've mentioned before as have others...it is so hard not to see anything major added at SDC (with the economy being the excuse) yet seeing millions of dollars pumped into Dollywood every year for a new major attraction...I still say HFE needs to show SDC some love...With that being said, however, I love SDC...I just wished the waterboggin would not have been taken out if nothing was immediately going to be put in its place...
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
^I still don't know all the details, but due to Dollywood's co-ownership with Dolly Parton and the Dollywood company, there are a lot of factors driving its development that don't effect SDC. Besides having an obviously growing market to cater to, Dolly's contributions must help a lot.

pintrader

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
I still say HFE needs to show SDC some love...With that being said, however, I love SDC...I just wished the Waterboggin would not have been taken out if nothing was immediately going to be put in its place...

I agree completely!  If something wasn't going in immediately in the old Waterboggin site, why get rid of it?  After all those years it suddenly becomes that big a liability just like that.  I don't know how many people on here remember the Waterboggin before they revamped it to get everyone wetter.  It was a very smooth and fun ride that you really hardly got wet at all.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »
Move management back to Branson, or at least have a mid or upper level manager (someone within 1 or 2 steps down the ladder from Mamby) on park all the time. HFE would be nothing without SDC and although I realize that the aquariums, ducks, etc. are fine it seems like they are forgetting where they came from.

Agreed! The company definitely needs a resident board member on site at Silver Dollar City. Having the company ran from a different state really puts the “head cheeses” out of touch with the day to day needs of Silver Dollar City.

The log hewing is a step in the right direction, IMO, would like to see more of this.

I also agree that they are making some initiative in that respect. In fact the most recent Times issue talks about bringing in the lumberjack show, chalk street artists, sand sculpting, pumpkin carving, and wood art this fall.

Now not trying to jump topics here, but I firmly believe something will be done at the old Waterboggan site soon, and that the existing water tower may possible be used for it. After all, it’s made with steel beams that can support at least some weight. The only odd equation is why did they remove the slides so soon before installing something else in its place?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
I would guess if they don't have to put money into the upkeep for the Waterboggan and Splash Harbor they can invest the money into something new.  (Fingers crossed)
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
I agree that the hospitality house product selections needs reworked. Wish there was a steakhouse type of restuarant on site.

Needs a woody, the theming screams for a woody.
Needs a modern version of the diving bell. I would like to see it back with the technology out there now.

We had decided not to come during the summer this year and only during fall fest where some of the craftsmen having things that interest me more. That brings me to missing Wilson and Wilson Decoys. Blakely has a great folk art shop on Eureka where some of the hand carved decoys can be bought.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
lets see, the last few responses..

yes,
yes,
hopefully
yes
absolutely
love fall fest

;D

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
I agree that the hospitality house product selections needs reworked. Wish there was a steakhouse type of restuarant on site.

Needs a woody, the theming screams for a woody.
Needs a modern version of the diving bell. I would like to see it back with the technology out there now.

We had decided not to come during the summer this year and only during fall fest where some of the craftsmen having things that interest me more. That brings me to missing Wilson and Wilson Decoys. Blakely has a great folk art shop on Eureka where some of the hand carved decoys can be bought.

Steakhouse would be a good fit, except they're usually not open late enough for a full dinner crowd.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
Wow, Steve's first post in this thread sums up everything I've been feeling about SDC lately. There's nothing new for me to see. I experienced RiverBlast last year, and liked it a lot. But HDH just doesn't interest me or anyone in my family. Yes, I would like to see how it looks and incorporates with SDC, but that new addition alone is not worth the price of admission for us. In May, I just wasn't too upset about not getting to go to SDC. Yes, I would have loved to spend the day in the park, because I love it so much, but there wasn't anything new to be seen that we hadn't done and that is what kept us away.

I haven't been truly excited about any of SDC's additions since 2007 with TGS. Part of my excitement for that project was due to the new SDCFans and Conductor Sam's Official SDC Blog (SDC really needs to fix this issue. A Mom's Blog only interests a certain group of individuals, while the old blog was informative for everyone. I think this is another thing to be fixed).

And so, I completely agree with Tina. SDC needs something with real CHARM. Real ATMOSPHERE. Something exactly like Pirates of the Caribbean or The Haunted Mansion at Disney. After my trip to Magic Kingdom in Orlando, I was reminded of why Disney is so popular and well respected, and why every theme park in the world strives to be like them. It is because of their amazing charm. Every ride, shop, and tile on the ground there has it.

SDC needs an attraction like this again (what they had with the Diving Bell from what I've read). Something that incorporates today's excellent ride technology with some of that great old SDC charm I am missing so much.

That would get me excited again. If it comes in the form of a woodie, so be it. If it comes in some other form, that is fine too.

Off the soapbox now.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:39:11 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »
I have thought abotu the rides myself. I dont really know about a big huge ride ala Disney. But I have said for awhile that I would like to see the Flooded Mine and FITH spruced up a good bit. With today's technology, the two rides could get a lot better looking mannequins and the scenery fixed up a might. I also thought the Beverly Hillbillies should have had something too. Maybe a "Granny's store" or something.
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
I think that's pretty neat that some of you would like to see a revamped diving bell with modern special effects come to SDC. I'd love to see that, too! I would like to see some of the guys (former Junior Dugans) from the old days at the grand opening of the attraction. It would be fun for some of us fellows to gather for a reunion and to have a few publicity photos snapped for publication...would a new diving bell fit in the area where the waterboggin used to be? What do you think?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
A revamped diving bell with today's modern technology would be perfect. But also a lot of money, no doubt. And I don't see why it couldn't fit in the old Waterboggan area. They would just have to make it work with the train tracks right there and everything.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »
I know this conversation is getting off the original topic a bit, but anyway, I always figured they left the waterboggan tower there to be revamped and used as a queue line for something.  Possibly the Moonshot they ran by us in the new ride survey?
I'm Your Huckleberry

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
I know this conversation is getting off the original topic a bit, but anyway, I always figured they left the waterboggan tower there to be revamped and used as a queue line for something.  Possibly the Moonshot they ran by us in the new ride survey?

I've heard that before as well, but it doesn't seem anything is happening soon, and I don't see that it's that big a piece of capital that it couldn't be rebuilt if needed. Certainly looks an eyesore now.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett