Author Topic: Anyone brave enough to venture to the City this Memorial Weekend?  (Read 3864 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Give us a little report on the crowds, I am wondering if the high lake levels will assist SDC with attendance this summer.

pintrader

Re: Anyone brave enough to venture to the City this Memorial Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
Were going down tomorrow!  I hope there won't be a very large crowd but I suspect the way everything is looking it is going to be pretty packed.  I will give attendance report when we return.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
I don't thing we've been for Memorial Day weekend since 1993 when Thunderation opened.  I've always wondered since then if you get a "reverse effect" where most people think it'll be too crowded and choose another weekend and the holiday weekend isn't that crowded.  Probably not!
I'm Your Huckleberry

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
Like I said the string of lakes here are all in sad shape for summer sport.  I think this may help the city.
Maybe enough to invest some cash?

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
I went there Yesterday and the day before (Friday & Saturday). Due to the rain, not a lot of people were at the park on Friday. However, on Saturday, the park was pretty packed. Long lines for the major rides, shows, and at the ice cream shop. All and all i still had a blast!!!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Once Summertime hits, I refuse to go except early in the week. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are Monday.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »
Just returned(I literally just sat down from unpacking) from my quick Sat-Sun trip. Saturday we went and hit all of the outlet malls, and sidewalk sales for Memorial Day, and THEN went into the City around 3-4 pm. It was perfect, we had a great parking spot, stayed until closing, and there was hardly anyone in the park by that time of the day. All my photos would show this seeing that they were all void of people! Overall Great day!

Today was another story. We were there at opening, and it was not too bad. Throughout the day, around 11-12 it started getting a bit more and more crowded, lines were getting longer and longer, and then as we were leaving a HUGE influx of cars were lining the road from the entrance all the way to SOTH. I imagine that after 3 today it'll be pretty bad with the next day free offer.

I would never turn down a trip to the City, but tomorrow might be a bit crowded early in the day, and after 2-3 would be the time to go if you can seeing that the majority of the visitors will be heading back home by that time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:24:43 PM by rubedugans »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
i didnt even think about going this weekend, going next sunday/monday.  hoping weekend after holiday AND being the weekend before Kidsfest...... maybe......????????

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
We are headed for the City tomorrow (Monday) for the first time this season!  Today we went to White Water.  I'll post something in the WW threads about today's trip.   It was great!

pintrader

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
Just got back from the city!  They were expecting 10,500 today and got 11,000 ---I was expecting a few more so it was a pretty good day, about an average attendance day.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
Crowds seemed to be light Monday.  Didn't wait in line for anything.  See my post in Trip Reports for what we did!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »
Thanks for the check-in everyone! I am glad that Silver Dollar City wasn't packed like sardines on Monday. :)