Author Topic: Closing time crowds?  (Read 3373 times)

Gala

• View Profile
Closing time crowds?
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
My husband and I have been to SDC before, but not for several years.  He HATES traffic!  The Pathfinder indicates that the parking lots and road leaving SDC can be congested at closing time.  What are your best tips for avoiding the congestion?

- Should we leave the park early?  How long before closing time would we need to leave?
- Should we stay for the GAC show?  I know this is probably the recommended option, but we're not terribly excited about country music.  Is it informal enough that we could leave partway through the show without disrupting anyone?  How long would it take for the congestion to ease?
- Do the restaurants close promptly at 6 pm?  Could we stay and eat while the parking lot and roads clear?

Thanks for your help!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Closing time crowds?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »
I'll try to answer some of your questions...

The restaurants do close at whatever hour the park is closing, be it 6pm as it is now, or 7pm later in the season.

Some people do stay for the GAC Tonight show and leave at intermission, about an hour into the show.

This time of the season, traffic seems to move pretty smoothly going out of the park.  It can get backed up coming into the park in the mornings.  On Saturday, you might get caught in a bit of a line leaving between the hours of 3pm and park closing, but as I said, it moves pretty smoothly.  It's not like you'd be sitting in one spot for even 5-10 minutes, and I would venture not even close to that long.  I really don't think traffic congestion will be that much of an issue unless you're here on a high capacity day.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »
^ Agreed with the above post from Zephon. We typically don't have any traffic issues when leaving the park (we usually stay until the park closes).
The traffic we encounter is in the mornings when we are trying to get to SDC.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Gala

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
Thank you, Zephon and DollarCityBoy!  I'm glad to hear it's not a concern.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
Yes you can Leave the GAC show whenever you want, without looking obvious...

I dont like country music either, But i do enjoy the GAC show, try it!  They sing mostly good old country..  60-70's,  Not this new crap they call country :P

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »
While the traffic at closing is not bad the line for the trams can be 30 min long (like two weekends ago when i was there) it is really frustration at times. But like said before once u get to your car there is usually no problem getting out.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:30 AM »
Staying till park closing!?!? This is un heard of in my family. My husband refuses to stay after 4p at the park due to traffic. Its depressing. But I have to compromise with him. He doesnt like public all that much and he deals with my fanaticism well soooo, win win I suppose.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
^ Ah, see, this is what I was worried about. I don't want his final memory from this trip to be the traffic/tram lines/etc as I want to make several trips to SDC this year AND I want to stay all day!  :D

Based on the rain that's forecasted for this weekend, crowds probably won't be an issue.

Anyone have any rainy-day recommendations for SDC?!

Thanks for your comments.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
Gala,  stay for the 1st half of the GAC show, if u dont like you can leave, No wait at trams or parking lot..  IF you stay for the whole show... still no wait.!! 

Lots of shops and indoor show to see if it rains!

Good Luck!  have fun!

Double Kay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
During the summer months and when I go to the night time events where there's sure to be a crowd at close, I've started springing for priority parking.  I scoffed at the idea at first, but after waltzing past the crowds during Old Time Christmas and hopping straight into my car, I'd say it was worth the $6.