Author Topic: SDC Artwork  (Read 4590 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
SDC Artwork
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »
I wanted to spotlight some of the beautiful artwork located around the park. We all love the Hospitality House mural, and photos have been posted showing it recently. How about the beautiful paintings at Sullivan's Mill? The Fire in the Hole mural, and paintings there? We walk through the Ozark Marketplace through to the tram loading area, but do we notice the fantastic mural depecting an "ideal" Ozarkian lifestyle? Hey, it's there! Absolutely wonderful art work is located all around the park. Do we take time to notice it? It is some of the unique theming that makes SDC a special place. 14 shots of artwork around the city located on my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

;D ;D ;D

ENJOY, FRIENDS!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:19:27 PM by rubedugans »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:00:11 AM »
more great pics junior. thanks.  i remeber seeing most of those, but there are a couple i havent seen

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:33 AM »
I accidentally met Terry Snaders a few years back and didnt realize it. I am such a dolt!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Double Kay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
I love the art around the city quite a bit, but I think as a design student, my favorites are all of the signs.  The typography, the texture, the weathered look.  They're so beautiful.  I was down there working on a class project about the rides last week, but I took more time taking photos of signs than anything else.  Ha ha.  Maybe I'll throw a gallery up when I'm not so busy.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
I noticed while at the park last Friday, June 24th, that the "Sexy Lady" painting above the bar at the saloon that used to "cover itself up" when Carrie Nation threatened it with her axe is now gone and in its place is a new painting of a woman looking out over an Ozarks landscape. I did not notice this when I  was on park and saw the saloon show at Worldfest time. Anybody know when, and WHY the classic piece of artwork was changed out? A photo of the new painting is posted on the Flickr site, as part of the photos that were included with my trip review:

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
If I am not mistaken, I believe that painting has been there for a while now, or at least as long as I can remember noticing it. Just keep in mind that my memory is a bit rusted. ;)

I am curious though, does anyone have a picture, or link to the original painting?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
I could only find one photo published by SDC in 1978 taken inside the saloon that shows just a portion of the old painting that "covered itself" when Carrie Nation threatened to throw her axe through it. It is in the upper right corner of the photo on my Flickr site. Next to it is a photo I took in the saloon last week that shows the current painting of a woman looking at an Ozarks landscape that replaced it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Nice catch there Junior!

Although it is a classic, I suppose I could see how it would need to be replaced. Modern society is a bit more conservative than it used to be, and Silver Dollar City is no exception.

However, the old gag that went along with it sounds like it would have been funny! :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
I noticed on my trip last week that the mechanical parrott that used to be in the saloon as part of the show years ago is apparently now doing duty at the Grand Exposition at the automated shooting gallery next to the Red/Gold Hall where the trained dog show is now playing. If you hit a target next to the parrott, he moves around a bit. Not quite center stage as in his prime, but not a bad place to be in his elderly/retirement years! LOL!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
I could only find one photo published by SDC in 1978 taken inside the saloon that shows just a portion of the old painting that "covered itself" when Carrie Nation threatened to throw her axe through it. It is in the upper right corner of the photo on my Flickr site. Next to it is a photo I took in the saloon last week that shows the current painting of a woman looking at an Ozarks landscape that replaced it.

They're getting way too "politically correct"!  What's next- instead of shooting the Bolins the conductor from the train captures them then tries to rehabilitate them?  :(
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
I smell a top 10, Andy, are you gonna take the bait?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
They're getting way too "politically correct"!  What's next- instead of shooting the Bolins the conductor from the train captures them then tries to rehabilitate them?  :(

Actually they aren’t going to capture the Bolin brothers. The train engineer is simply going to toot his whistle at them, and tell them to “knock it off!” ;)