Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 274649 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #495 on: June 22, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Everyone keep your eyes out for markers near GE, who knows if we might see the return of the Balloon Chase, or a ride come in from CC to go along with the Splash Battle. I kind of doubt it, but it would be nice. I sure would like to see the flyers or the S&S double shot live again soon.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #496 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:17 PM »
I keep hearing the Shoot the Chutes is coming (as well), but all fancied up.
I sure hope so -- they need another water attraction, and if they decorate it like Pittsburg Plunge, that would look awesome back in the GE
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 23, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
All I know is I want the Balloon Ride back. I want to be able to take my baby niece on it when she's tall enough. In fact, I can see in my mind's eye what the Balloons would like all painted in the cream/gold color scheme of GE with extra details and gold embellishments and maybe a gold-framed Victorian painting on the side of each basket....

And I kinda hope they end up doing that Carousel of Seasons. I really like the idea of theming the horses by season.

Joy

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #498 on: June 23, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
It'd be easy to include the CC carousel.

Insiders, can you say whether the things in storage look plasticky?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
There's new signs up on the walls...bleh...I'm holding my breath...
...the worst part is that it'll distort my view from my favorate ride...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 24, 2009, 01:38:27 PM »
I agree with Swoosh. They need to work on this while it is sunny, not in the offseason when it is snowing.

I liked the old concept art. I hope it wasn't changed that much.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 25, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Why would it have changed?  It won't be exactly the same - the real thing is never like the concept art - but changing it would just cost more, wouldn't it?  I just don't want it scaled down, and I don't want them to take short cuts with the theming.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #502 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
I think a lot of the concept art was just for the sake of the survey, and may not have grasped the theme as much as they are planning. I personally hope it looks a lot better than it did in the concept art, 'cause there wasn't much there. Let's hope the extra year gave them a chance to boost the theming on this sucker.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
I wonder if they'll have water cannons up in Huck's Fort to shoot down on the rafts?  That would be a cool way to still incorporate that structure
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2009, 06:38:29 PM »
Though it would be ironic that Huck would build a fort that guests would use to shoot his own raft.  It's time for the fort to go.  I would love for this area to be completely revisioned for a new Tom and Huck area (BUT NOT WITH CARNIVAL GAMES!!!).

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 29, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
I miss the fort.  Climbing the ropes and those slides were highlights of our trips.  We used to go and camp for over a week every year, so we had a lot of time to enjoy all the little things about the park.  I feel like that is what is missing now...the little things. 

I want to get the balloons back and the carousel needs to be up and going again soon. 

I guess I need to worry less about my nostalgia for the park.  I just want my kids to fall in love with SDC like I did. 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 29, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
I'd like to see Twain face characters in Tom Sawyer's Landing... Personally, I would love to play Becky Thatcher.

Joy

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #507 on: July 06, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »
Anything happening at the pit? If anyone goes soon, I'd love to see some photos of the progress. Hopefully I'll get out there later this month.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 06, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

rode the train yesterday and the conductor made the comment that it was going to be a new ride, but they did not know what it was going to be.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #509 on: July 18, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »
I got some good views of the splash battle construction today, though it's hard to tell how much has actually been done recently. Looks like they've got everything dug out though, and they've definitely made some progress on the station area. I noticed a lot of wood on site, so maybe they'll start pouring concrete before long.

Does anyone know when the crew is on site? They weren't there over the weekend, but it looked like they had lights and fans set up so I was wondering if they've started working during the week, or after the park closes.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some work done on the old water mill thing-a-ma-jig in corkscrew pass and on what's left of the Landing. Looks like they really might be planning on using both of these things in the new area. There's also a big pile of rock that they've dug up and set aside, presumedly to be used for scenery.
Overall, it all got me excited again to see what they'll come up with for the whole area.