Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271520 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
Thanks for the update! Not quite as much as I had thought would be done, but they're still working in short spurts it seems. Just one more month! Hopefully they'll talk about this project in detail at Coaster Christmas. I'm curious as to how it's changed since the initial concepts. I get the feeling it's been a long, long project.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
Well, we did have a good deal of rain down here for a week or two; probably hampered a bit of their progress.

Joy

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
I had an interesting response, yesterday.  The gate was wide open, with a clear view of the new building.  As I pulled out my camera, a female employee slammed the gate shut with "Put the camera away, this is a closed site, meaning no pictures".  I said, " But I've taken several pictures through the knot hole, without any complaints".  Her sarcastic response was, "Yea, good luck with that..."

I can say that after 30 years of visiting the city, this was my first hateful employee I've met!  Thankfully I had a great time the rest of the day...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
well what new construction was there?
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 25, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »
She wished you luck TinMan? That was rude! Here are a few of what I snapped through the knotholes recently.

Notice the position of the train when in the station, and the building. I am wondering what the area directly next to the tracks will look like. Also what happened to what it was like back in the day? I remember 20+ years ago, when there would be a new attraction, it was not shrouded in mystery, there were scale models set up at the entrance of the park (where the show lovers pass/trailblazer pass location now is)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:16:28 PM by rubedugans »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 25, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
Here's a link to Great America's version of the "family" ride, construction started roughly the same time, only customers enjoyed it last year.  If you look half way down, the inside of the entrance building is nearly identical...

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAmerica/rides/BuccaneerBattleConstructionUpdate.aspx
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sdcforever

« Reply #546 on: October 25, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »
^^Wow!  They've definitely made some progress.  I have a feeling there will be a fence between RiverBlast and the train tracks and station.  You don't even have to go back 20 years for the lack of secrecy with a new ride.  They had a model of ThuNderaTion at the entrance of the park when it was under construction in 1992.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »
They were really trying to build up some anticipation with this originally. I guess a lot of that has fallen through. Don't know why that lady had to be such a bitch though. "Oh no, someone's gonna take a photo of our construction project!"

I do have to say that I'm impressed already though. The station is already a lot bigger than on other models. This bodes well for the rest of the attraction and the scenery.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #548 on: October 25, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »
It's just a good thing that it wasn't me that she pulled that attitude on -- I'd had some higher ups on the phone in a heart beat and who knows if she would have a job still at the end of the day.

Very impressed with the structure.  Would like to see some concept art of the attraction though.
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 31, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
Not sure if anyone has said this on here, but since River Battle is somewhat similar to Splash Harbor, they will be removing SH this winter, not sure if they will us any pieces from SH in the new ride.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 31, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
Copper...  I hope you are joking..  My kids love spash harbor....   What are they going to put back there?
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #551 on: October 31, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Lol, by now I've learned not to trust anything these guys say.  ;)

Docspeleo will be along any time now with the photos.    :D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #552 on: October 31, 2009, 08:27:08 PM »
Is that part of a longer-range plan to make a back path to connect the two ends of the park?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #553 on: October 31, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
I remember 20+ years ago, when there would be a new attraction, it was not shrouded in mystery, there were scale models set up at the entrance of the park (where the show lovers pass/trailblazer pass location now is)

Yeah, but most of the building was also done outside of the season (AKA winter) when most or all of the park was closed.  Construction wasn't blogged about, and there weren't construction updates on the internet.  It's been a while since anything was built in the middle of the park.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #554 on: October 31, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Hmmm, doesn't look like SH is on the list of attractions anymore... or was it ever on there? Ha ha, I hope Copper is joking.  :D

In the hypothetical case that this was true, the Splash Battle better have a huge set of water towers and such to replace the stuff SH had. I don't see any reason for them to take out SH though - it's a young attraction, still very popular, and is quite large, unique, and fun. The only reason that would make since is if it were indeed part of a huge expansion project. Can you imagine the backlash though? I'm pretty sure SH is very popular for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:40:05 PM by shavethewhales »