Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 160162 times)

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #510 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
Ah! Yum! We will be trying that!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
Yep, the works is the way to go!  It's takes yummy to a whole new level!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 16, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
OK?  never tried that... but may this weekend, supposed to be perfect hot chocolate weather,, ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 16, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
Go for the works...you won't regret it! And if you do, well at least you tried it, and you will have no regrets!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
Went on Friday 11/18 and Sunday 11/20.  Crowd level seemed to be the same both days.  If you ever wondered if the cast sings live during Dickens, well, yes they do.  There were a couple of noticeable clunkers during the show we went to on Friday.  (I'm a singer and I know that all singers have a bad day occasionally).  None of the shows we went to on Friday were full (Dickens, the Living Nativity, Pure Heart/Tracey Heaston, and the Saloon show).

Got our season passes and ornaments but nothing was said to us about purchasing the parking pass.  The SDC citizen made sure to go over the new BAF policy. We had to ignore the Welk people trying to get our attention on the way in and out.

Word of warning -- the refreshment stand across from Riverfront Playhouse (the one that sells pretzels and drinks) charged us full price to get our mugs refilled with hot cider on Friday.  Husband didn't argue because it was time for the Pure Heart/Tracey Heaston show at the Playhouse.  Don't know if the person running the stand was new or what the problem was.   

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #515 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
Thanks for the mini trip review biscuitcreek!

It sounds like you were able to make the rounds. That is some really good information for anyone wanting to visit during the Old Time Christmas.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19:09 AM »
Yeah thanks biscuitcreek.  Those Welk folks are surely ones to be avoided.  I feel that smaller crowds during live shows sometimes makes for a more intimate experience.  It can be good or bad. 

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 24, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
The Welk people should have giant scarlet Ws sewn onto their clothing.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »
I have another thought for the "welk" people, BUT i am not sure it is legal in all 50 states ;D

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 25, 2011, 06:12:25 AM »
Sorry kids, no trip this weekend. My big plans all fell thru. Parents canceled, wifes brother has guttering people showing up Sat. when we was gunna be leaving, 1 of our cars has a rear main seal & power steering leak that needs to be fixed. 45 degree weather, we aint good in the cold. We could go by ourselves, but the wife says " i'll leave that decision up to you.." I know what THAT means.... I could go by myself, but what fun would that be?
Sometimes i just dont like being responsible.... :D
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 25, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »
tough break how-do...  BUT as we all know...........

some things just aint supposed to happen!

better luck next time.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 25, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
Silver Dollar City is the town that never grows old. There will still be plenty of other opportunities to go.  :)

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 25, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
Went today 11/25 and turned out to be not to bad of a day. We did not get there until about 12:30 did not have to much of the desire to do the black Friday thing. Did get some conflicting reports on that. Talk to the parking guy and he sad not very many people had come, but when talking to one of the citizens inside the park she said that they were very busy. So got into the park and headed down to the measuring station in the GE very crowded for all the rides. So we got my son measured and then decided to just go ahead and grab some lunch. Headed to Wagon works for lunch very good had the Ozark chili I highly recommend. I do want to mention the good kindness of the people that come to the park. My wife was pushing around the double stroller and looking for a table for the rest of us, when a guy who was already sitting down got up offered the table to my wife and then even got a extra chair for her at least there are still some who care. Anyway after lunch headed around the park and headed toward half dollar holler and hung there for awhile. Noticed that they were running two trains and that the line for the flooded mine was all the way across the bridge, do not see that very often. After HDH went over to GG for a little bit to let my son get out some energy all looked pretty good. I do think lake silver looks kinda sad these time of year since they drain the water which I guess they have to that for freezing issues. After that we though we would head toward the train. Decided we would do the FM first wait was not very bad at all maybe 15-20 mins. at best. I do have two question for all you silver dollar city experts. First question as you waiting you go past the wardon room that has the picture that talks at one point weren't you able to hearhim talk. Second on the scene that the one prisoner says "I am getting out of her no matter what" is that not activated by the one gun sensor?
After FM we headed for the train, I figured we were in good shape since theyhad both trains going. So we are moving along and get to be about 1 train away. so one train come and drops off the passengers and leave with no passengers find out it has some engine issues. Figure no big deal still have another train and we would be the next round anyway. So next train come around and they load everyone up. We did not get on but figured that was fine we were first at the gate to get next ride. So just kinda standing there and next thing we know the conductor is telling everyone on the train to stay sitting that they were have a communication problem, but they were working on it. They seemed pretty confident it was going to get fixed. Well after about 15 mins. they started to remove people from the train, could not fixed the problem. What are the chance of two trains having issues almost one after another. It did very much suck especially for standing in line for so long I was just happy my son handled it so well since the train is his second favorite ride. Well after that we headed over to GM and a short stop at the mill for some fresh out of the oven cinnamon bread to eat there always an excellent choice I think. We then headed to the pottery store for me to get a mug and then watched the frosty show. I did hear the train go by at least once. We decided to skip the train and good watch the tree in the square so I can only assume it was fixed. Then headed out it was kinda nice to head out before the parade just due to the amount of people that leave at the same time after the parade is over. We did stop at E&D for some take home cinnamon rolls and a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread. I was told everything made in SDC was fat free so I figured it was ok.
As we left i did notice the preferred lot was full and the other over flow lots had cars in them and people were still heading in around 6:30pm. So I would think it was a good crowd over all.
So all and all another good day especially with the weather could not have asked for a nicer day. Only draw back was the trains but things happen so well just have to force ourselves to go back to the park, that won't be hard.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:31:28 PM by jmc75 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #523 on: November 25, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
I was also there today. I'll probably write more later when I actually get home, but here are a few notes:

The new train car looks a lot better than I was expecting based on the first reviews. It sticks out a little, and it seems a little less quaint than the old style, but it's not bad at all.

The park was packed to the gills today around 5-6, lines were so bad I spent most of that time just wandering around. However, it really petered out after the first light parade and by 8 the lines were getting fairly short on everything.

Man, the prices keep rising. A bottle of sasparilla is now $2.60 for some reason. I don't know why they felt they needed and extra 10 cents halfway through the season. All the other prices were noticeably higher too...

I didn't ride the train till dark, and I couldn't see much from TGS or from the gate nearby, but I did spot one marker that was almost directly on the train tracks on the other side from the old cabin. I'll ride the train tomorrow in the daylight and try to spot more and get some photos.

Pretty good day all around, headed back for more tomorrow.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 25, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
Awesome trip review jmc75! ;D

It sounds like the park was either packed, or roomy depending on which section of the park you were in at any given time. The gentlemen near the Wagon Works Grill is what Silver Dollar City is all about! You can’t help but to show love, and concern for your fellow man at a place like that. I’m glad to hear they were running two trains today. It seems like the train is absolutely one of the most popular, if not the most popular attraction at Old Time Christmas. However, I am bummed to hear that you were not able to catch it later on in the day. What are the odds that both would fail?

In reference to your question about “I’m getting out of here no matter what!” at the Flooded Mine, no that is automated, and is not controlled by the gun sensor. It goes off each, and every time regardless if you hit anything, or not. :P

Cinnamon rolls are definitely a perfect way to end your day! It sounds like you, and your family had an amazing, and wonderful trip overall. Thanks for sharing! :)