Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 160092 times)

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:21 AM »
Sounds like you all had a good trip, enjoyed the video. Sorry didn't run in to ya while we were there but as you could see with all the people we would have been lucky to be able to find our own feet at times.LOL

Now on to our review. We were actually part of the chaos of the extra people on the park Sat. Aug 20. My wife works for our local hospital and as it is owned and operated through the Mercy hospital group that also runs the St. Johns hospitals we were grouped into the St Johns co worker day. Anyway to explain the chains being down at 9:50 when the park didn't open until 10:00, apparently some type of deal was made between the Hospital Group and the City to open the park an hour earlier to the St Johns group( people running around with the green armbands on). Also the park was supposed to remain open until 10:00 pm for the St johns group while closing to the general public at 6:00 pm. But the unexpected Thunderstorm cut that short.
 So anyhow we left our home at around 8:00 am for the 2 hr drive from southeast Kansas to the park. We had a few stops along the way as we were showing some friends of ours that had never been to the "City" the way we normally take down to the park and ended up getting to the park at around 11:00. We were then directed to the parking lot on the east side of the entrance road in the area of Tram Stop #5 (for those that are familiar) We were actually pretty happy with the short amount of time it took for a tram to show up to transport us to the park,actually two showed up at the same time so pretty much everyone that had been waiting got picked up and only a few stragglers were left standing at the pickup point. We arrived at the Main Gate Drop-off area and quickly regrouped and headed to the turnstiles. Again I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly the SDC employees managed to get people through the lines and into the park. We ran into our first real bottleneck promptly upon reaching the bakery area right after leaving the turnstiles, but were able to navigate through the area pretty quickly. Once through the HH we went straight to Grandfathers Mansion, and as I stated in another topic thread we found the attraction open and operating. Upon leaving GM we headed down to HDH for the kiddos and then over to the Flooded Mine. The Line for the mine was across the bridge and extended out to almost directly in front of entrance to the train ride. We went ahead and got in line and jumped out only briefly to get some pics of the kids in the stocks in front of the ride. Once again we were very happy at the way the SDC employees kept the line moving and what we thought would be at least an hour wait time ended up only being about 20 min. After the FM we headed down to the Lost River where we were told that they had a 40 min to an hour wait ahead of us as the Red Flag was out on the operator observation platform that sits down by the Rib House restaurant. We again braved the line and were on the ride within 10 to 15 minutes.
  Kids then wanted to keep with the being soaked to the bone theme and our group headed up to the River Blast ride. Line at this ride was about the same as the others and we waited only about 10 to 15 min before we were out in the shooting gallery of ground and boat based assassins. LOL . We definitely left RB totally soaked. We then headed over to the American Plunge. At the plunge, we had our first of disappointment of the day. I did not ride and stayed with a few of the children in our group that also didn't ride, and as we stood on the observation platform awaiting the opportunity to get some pics of our group screaming their heads off, we couldn't help but notice that the ride operators here were not filling the boats to capacity. Several came down with only one or two people in them. The line extended well past the entrance area where the split for wildfire and plunge happens and extended all the way out to the area with the lathe demo. I would have thought that,that would have given the ride operators a reason top fill the boats up and move more people through, safely of course, but they did not and thus we spent our longest wait here waiting over an hour.
  We then headed up Cardiac Hill and to the Mine Restaurant for some much needed sustenance. Again we had a small line to contend with but were quickly seated and eating some wonderful food.
  Took the kids down to Geyser Gulch next to let them run around a bit while the adults took a little break and sat down. Kids enjoyed themselves as the always do. Of course we had to hit the funny hat stand that sits outside the entrance to GG on our way out had way too much fun there, got a lot of great pics of the kids.
  Headed over to the Grand Exposition area next and the kids and the kids at heart all rode rides in the area. As the park started to close down for the general public at 6:00 we started to move out of the GE area and back to other parts of the park when the second of our disappointments occurred. As we were heading past the kiddie coaster one of our group saw the Icee concessions area and walked over to get his SDC refill cup filled with an Icee. Being new to the park and having misread the sign that was located behind the cashier and in a somewhat covered. our friend began to fill his cup and was promptly met with a verbal tongue lashing from the cashier in the form of" NO! NO!NO! NO! YOU CAN NOT FILL THOSE CUPS UP WITH THIS PRODUCT ONLY SOFT DRINKS". Our friend tried to reason with the employee by explaining that he must have misread the sign and made a mistake at which she retorted with " Well what ever but you must pay for what you have in your cup at the large Icee price" Which was around $5.00. Our friend ended up paying the lady so she would settle down but was visibly upset himself. My issue was in the way the employee handled the situation and then charging someone the full price of an approx 32 oz drink when the cup used only holds 24oz. We left somewhat disgusted from that area but not before hearing the same employee scolding two more customers for doing the exact same thing our friend had done. In all my years of coming to the "City" I have never come across an employee that acted as this one did.
  Our friend regained his composure after a quick smoke break and we headed out to ride the Lost River again, determined not to let the incident ruin our trip. Once we arrived at the entrance of LR we were informed that all the rides were being shut down due to in coming weather. Thinking that it would be a short wait we headed back up top the River Blast area so that our friends could allow their kids the chance to make wax impressions of their hands,when the storm hit and pretty much ended our day as we then made the decision to go ahead and call it a day and head for the Ozark Mountain Market Place and some quick shopping and out to the Tram pickup and finally our cars. Made it home after a quick stop in Branson West for a quick McDonalds Break and some gasoline at about 11:00 pm. All in all not a bad trip minus the two incidents with the second one causing us the most concern. 

KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
Thanks everyone! Yes, the pizza was good, as always. My parents introduced me to that place 3-4 years ago. The last few times we have been there, they have had 2 guys in there playing guitars, it was pretty cool. Not crowded either till we was ready to leave.

My only complaint about the entire trip, & it has nothing to do with SDC. People will not let you out in traffic anymore while in Branson. After our go-kart ride, we wanted to turn left, about 20 - 30 cars went by before a older couple finally let us out. It just really surprizes me, its not like anyone is going anywhere to fast!! Aw well, life goes on..

Great review bobber!
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
Boober, great trip!  sounds like u had your hands full.

Glad all went well.

I have no comments about rude vendor ;)

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »
I'm so freaking excited about heading down to SDC this weekend (the 27th & 28th). I haven't been since early June! This will be my 4th trip this year, though. Also went in April and May.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #394 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
Well, were all excited for you!

Be sure to come back with a trip review, and pictures if possible! ;D

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »
The train in the Marvel Cave was broken...those who wanted to do the tour would have to walk out. I may have tried it if it was just me and my wife, but with two little kids... :) no way! We'd each have to carry one of them. We just couldn't do it.

Sorry. Very tired. More tomorrow. Here's a pic, though

Me, my son Owen, and Mr. Parnell

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 29, 2011, 06:58:36 AM »
great pic, we are headed to the city in a little bit for breakfast and do a walk-a-bout..

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 29, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
Awesome picture! It's cool to see that you are continuing the family tradition. :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 30, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »
Cool man! Dig the ol'-school hat too.
Live life like it's the last day!

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
My son (in the pic -- though my two year old knows the song too) sang the Flooded Mine song to the prisoner who was guarding the railroad track. He and another employee were tickled to hear a little kid singing that song. (Aside -- didn't the prisoner who was bending the bars in the ride sing different lyrics???)

Also, my son Owen LOVES the tram. He calls it a "ram" (he's 5 -- he know's it's actually called "tram"), and he insists that we call it "ram" too. He gets mad when we don't.

Anyway, on Saturday we parked in lot 6 I think (the one right by the road there) and had to take the bus.

On Sunday, we got to take the tram, and we sat right up front. The tram driver was the spittin' image of Santa, and he and the boys had a great conversation :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
On Sunday, we got to take the tram, and we sat right up front. The tram driver was the spittin' image of Santa, and he and the boys had a great conversation :)

He has been mentioned around here a few times. Word has it, that driving the tram is his summer job, and then he dawns the red suit in the winter.  :)

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »
My wife and I went over to Branson this last weekend and definitely enjoyed ourselves. We took a very relaxed pace to everything to just try and have a refreshing weekend. We stayed at HomeStay and enjoyed ourselves there (already posted a review). We woke up late and got a late start heading to SDC Saturday, at which point we hit crazy traffic about the time we hit the Inspiration Tower entrance. I've hadn't seen it backed up like that before, but then again we always get there at park opening (and this is the first holiday weekend we visited). It was odd because it was backed up until we got to SDC entrance, and then no lines driving into parking. Weird. Still, we enjoyed our time then went back to HomeStay to watch the OU vs. Tulsa game open up the college football season, with an Andy's Custard break at half time. We tried Molly Mill's breakfast for the first time Sunday morning, definitely enjoyed that (hot SDC apple butter and biscuits - amazing). I was disappointed in the Southern Gospel fest talent, never really saw anyone we liked, so we mostly just rode rides and enjoyed the atmosphere. We did Showboat Branson Belle Sunday night which was awesome. Dinner was great, and the performers were very good. We even got to watch a fireworks show over the lake during "intermission". Overall, fun and relaxing stay in Branson. Went by too quickly.
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
Every trip I've ever taken to SDC (and the Branson area) has gone by too quickly. . . .    :-[  I wished I still lived there!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 08, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
You and me both Palallin! I wish that everyday, even though there would be challenges, and monotony just as any place, but I would love it there.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »

Got home last night from another trip to SDC.  Stayed at Homestay Inn, the kids have adopted Paige into the family. 

Visited the city on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday arrived in time for the opening ceremony, rode Thunderation (no wait), then Wildfire (no wait), Powderkeg (minimal wait) and the Giant Swing (minimal wait).  The city and the weather were beautiful.  I loved all the extra craft displays. The only bad thing about the craft festival is that all the extra booths really tend to make the park seem extra crowded.  That afternoon we went and saw “Headin' West.”  It was well produced and had some cool special effects, but it does seem to be a bit geographically challenged.  When we finished watching the show, we were going to ride FITH but the line was all the way out past the Fireman’s Cemetery.  The line for the FM was backed up pretty good by that time as well.  Stayed that night for GAC show at Echo Hollow.  It was very enjoyable two highlights of the show for us were, “Cletus, take the reel” (My oldest son is a big Tim Hawkins fan and he is not really big into Country music, so this number really pacified him for the rest of the evening); and Jae McFerron's introduction of the Gospel music segment by saying “Some people call this Gospel music. We just call it the truth.”  The Gospel music segment was pretty good...their rendition of “How Great is our God” was awesome, but the line-dancing to “Standing on the Promises” was a bit much for this Parson!

Sunday when we arrived on the park, the first thing we noticed was they had two fire engines parked by the tram unload area.  They had their ladders extended with a giant American flag hanging between the two.  We attended the church service on the park (How many theme parks have their own church services?...incredible!). The service was a little different because of the 9/11 anniversary.  The service consisted mainly of Scripture readings and special music, including a couple of really beautiful violin duets.
We were not on the square for the 9/11 ceremony, but they broadcast part of it over the loudspeakers throughout the park, this included a moment of silence, the tolling of the church bell, and the singing of the national anthem.  No shops were selling or rides running during the moment of silence.  The silence was noticeable throughout the park.
Some of the new craft exhibitions were really neat, a chalk artist drew a vibrant rendition of the SDC axe/log logo on the blacktop, and they were sculpting a giant log cabin out of sand in front of the general store.  The lumberjack show was spread throughout the park.  Pole climbing was by the Gazebo on the Square.  Axe throwing was in front of Red Gold Heritage Hall, and the Log rolling was on Lake Silver between the entrance of Lost River and the Dockside Grill.  The activity times were staggered so you could see them all if you wanted to walk around and make the circuit.
We discovered a new (for us) menu item at the Ribhouse grill.  I can't remember what it was called, but it was brisket, onions, peppers, and cole slaw wrapped up in a corn tortilla.  It was really good!

A couple other highlights:
My oldest son LOVES wildfire taffy, we went in to buy the taffy on Saturday and they were out.  They said they would be making more on Sunday.  So we went back on Sunday and go to watch them make
Wildfire.  My son was given a sample right off the roll.  They use a little over a half-cup of cinnamon oil in the batch. We left with 3 lbs of fresh Wildfire taffy.

The Sheriff, after giving the kids badges, spent about 5 minutes playing with the kids (they were trying to give him a “high five” and he kept moving his hand)--they had a blast with him.  Every time they would see him on park that day and Sunday, he would stop and raise his hand up and they'd spend another five minutes trying to slap his hand.

Hope for Tinker Fans.
I talked to Shorty and he said that they were talking about bringing Tinker back, not this Christmas but in the near future.  If there are any Tinker fans out there, keep sending in those letters and e-mails.

Only Disappointment.
Our only disappointment this trip was that we didn't get to see Terry Sanders. No trip to SDC is complete without interacting with one of Terry's characters.  We were hoping we would finally get to see him as his Scarecrow character, but he was on vacation this weekend.   And hey, everybody deserves a vacation so we don't begrudge him that.

All in all a great trip to the city.