Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159981 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2011, 06:58:35 AM »
agreed shave.  no concrete, no mortar..  NOT a foundation for building..  Possibly addition for petting zoo?  O ras you stated demonstration area.?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
No one was working on it this Sat/ Sun, but the gentleman doesn't look to be in character/ costume...unless that Basball cap came from costume and is in fact design circa 1880....

No really I don't mind that at all, I just want to know what they are building!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
Trip Report-Monday May 30th

We got to the park around 10 and left around 1:15.  We paid to park, because getting the wagon and 2 kids off or off the bus or tram is enough to make me crazy!  We got there and I realized that I had no idea where my pass was.  That's right!   One day at White Water and I had already lost my pass.  The Guest Services worker was great and they replaced my pass for free.  The lines at the front gates moved quickly.  Our only problem is that we couldn't move because people kept stopping just after the gates to decide where to go next. 

We went to the BBQ tent first and bought 4 bottles of BBQ sauce.  I love half price sales!  Then down to the leather shop.  There was only one person working and the lines were long, but the man working was great!  Bought the kids each a little coin purse.  My parents gave them each a dollar to put in it.  They were so happy!  Our next stop was the train.  My kids haven't been on it since they were 3 months old.  Every time we go, the line is sooo long.  We walked into the depot, waited 5 minutes, and then we were on a train.  They didn't seem quite comfortable with the script yet.  It appeared that maybe they have rewritten it a bit since the beginning of the year.  My kids loved it!

The Shootout was next.  This was the kids' first time.  Caleb loved "shooting the lights."  Cate has told us that it is dark and scary and she never wants to ride it again.  lol  My parents got each child an animal at the new shop.  We are now the proud parents of doggie the penguin and monkey the dinosaur.  Gotta give it up for originality!  They loved Half Dollar Hollar.  The only problem I saw is that the exit only places are not well marked.  If you aren't looking for it to say exit, you won't see it.  They rode the swings and carousel.  The carousel operator was AWESOME!  He made the kids believe they were racing around.  Each animal had a name.  Too funny!  We had to pull Caleb out of the tree house.  He had a huge meltdown because we had to move on. 

We went to the Exposition for lunch.  The BBQ lines were so long. We ended up eating at the fair food place.  It was pretty good.  The chicken strips are way better than last year.  We went to get icees, but another meltdown began so it was time to go.  We'll be back again, I think in July.  If someone will tell me how, I will get pictures posted!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
What sauce did you get Dianagail? We tried nearly all of them, I am just intereted in what others preferred!

My favorite from last year was not there- D L Jardine's Mesquite Flavor BBQ Sauce

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
ALSO I had forgotten that the *ping* of the targets in The Great Shootout at the Flooded Mine is different this season. It is a more high pitched sound. The gun I had was not new, however, the trigger mechanism seemed to be new.

When/ if I get my video from this weekend uploaded, I will post it so all can hear the new sound...it is different, but I think pretty similar to the old sound.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:12 PM »
I forgot to post during my trip review of the weekend before Memorial Day weekend that we had something happen during the train robbery I've never seen before.  When the conductor got back to find Alf and Ralph robbing the train the outhouse door flew open and a guy with a shaved head, straw hat, fancy blouse and bloomers and a gun and holster draped across his shoulder/chest came out in a hurry.  When the suprised conducter asked "What are you supposed to be?" Ralph answered "That's no what that's our Ma!"  The whole trainload busted out laughing.  The conductor was laughing so hard he couldn't finish the script and ended up shooting "Ma".  Hilarious!  That was on Saturday and we rode the train again of Sunday to see if that was a regular part of the script but it didn't happen that day.  Has anyone else had this happen during the train robbery?
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:55 PM »
have not seeen that yet.  i had noticed the outhouse, and the last time we rode there was a big bloodhound dog tied up to the tree.. that us new also.

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »
What sauce did you get Dianagail? We tried nearly all of them, I am just intereted in what others preferred!

My favorite from last year was not there- D L Jardine's Mesquite Flavor BBQ Sauce
I'm not Dianagail, but we got Corky's BBQ sauce... out of Memphis. I've only eaten there once, but it was the best Pork BBQ I've had anywhere. So I was super excited to find their sauce at SDC!
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »
I agree Rube.  The mechanism did seem to be new.  Mine stuck a lot and wasn't easy to shoot.  Oh well.  It will take awhile for them to get worn in. 

We got SDC Honey Blackberry, Dr. Pepper BBQ (I have looked everywhere for this stuff!), Bethany Blue's BBQ Pit Papaya Grillin' Sauce, and Edward's Surrey Sloppin' Sauce.  I wish I could find a watermelon BBQ.  I hear grilling chicken with watermelon is spectacular!  We tried the honey blackberry today.  It is definitely sweet. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
You did pick up some sauce! I am a fan of spicy sauces, mesquite sauces, and vinegar based sauces...don't get any of that sweet stuff near my meat! Keep that much sugar and fruit for dessert pies!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
We made it to Branson for Memorial Day weekend but we didn't go to SDC.  :( :(

It just costs too much money for us right now. However, it was great to get out of town for a couple days and just spend some time in Branson. Normally it is just SDC, SDC, hotel pool, maybe some go carts or mini golf, etc. It was actually nice to do something different for a change.

We will hopefully make it to SDC sometime this year. I'm busy all summer really, however, it is fall and Christmas whenever I really want to make it down to the park!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:22:32 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2011, 11:31:53 PM »
You bring up a good point Coaster! There is so much more to see, and do in Branson besides Silver Dollar City. A lot of people miss so much because they are so focused on Silver Dollar City.

I am glad you had a good trip, and I am sure your excitement for Silver Dollar City will be even greater next time since you didn’t get to go this trip. ;D

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
agreed shave.  no concrete, no mortar..  NOT a foundation for building..  Possibly addition for petting zoo?  O ras you stated demonstration area.?

I asked the school teacher yesterday what was being built, and she said that is going to be walls for a new log hewing area and that the gentleman building the wall is going to be doing the demonstrating. She said he was one of the same gentlemen who helped assemble the school years ago and had done lots of work for the park since the 60s.

We just retuned from our trip last night. I'll post more in a but.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
I noticed last weekend also that the stairs on the side of the barn in the animal area had been removed.  They used to lead to a break room above the barn.  I asked ablout this and was told by someone in that area they were removed because the roof in the barn had leaked so long before it was replaced that the floor was weak and they were afraid someone would fall thru.  So as he said they just removed the stairs instead of fixing the problem.  Nice.....
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
I noticed last weekend also that the stairs on the side of the barn in the animal area had been removed.  They used to lead to a break room above the barn.  I asked ablout this and was told by someone in that area they were removed because the roof in the barn had leaked so long before it was replaced that the floor was weak and they were afraid someone would fall thru.  So as he said they just removed the stairs instead of fixing the problem.  Nice.....

yet, another short cut that HFEC decided to take.  ??? ??? ::) ::)