Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 160000 times)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
Sounds like you had a good trip...back to the help at the rides...we had good experiences during our two weeks at the park...The best though is "ROACH" at the Lost River...He is hilarious, always has a smile on his face, and loves his work...He's always singing some song or cracking some joke...He even worked it out to where he rode the Lost River with us upon our request...He used to work at the Powder Keg and did a great job there...I guess he was moved to the Lost River due to his personality to sprucen things up...He told us that he worked at Celebration City before it closed...He really liked that a lot because he said it was small enough that you knew every employee that worked there and they were all like family...He said that's not the case at SDC
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:30:59 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
He really liked that a lot because he said it was small enough that you knew every employee that worked there and they were all like family...He said that's not the case at SDC

As much of a family as the Silver Dollar City employees are, there are so many varieties, and types of unique jobs there. It’s any wonder why there would be certain clics here, and there.

The ride operators work along each other all day long. The character actors work along each other all day long. The show performers work along each other all day long. The restaurant workers work along each other all day long, and so on.

So in a way, Silver Dollar City is more of a neighborhood family, rather than a household family.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
We went to SDC yesterday, July 13 for an adult trip.  Thankfully, the showers really cooled down the temperatures.  The only problem was that several rides were down due to weather related issues.  I never did see PowderKeg running, but we arrived at opening and left at about 1:30.  We did get a ride on Wildfire and FITH.  The Fireman's Cemetery was open when we were there.

We visited several shops and had a hot dog and corn dog for lunch.  I also tried a bloomin' onion.  The flavor was good, but it was difficult to eat since they don't cut all the way through the onion like at Outback.  I had to hold it on my lap at the time (avoiding a rain shower), so it was difficult.  I don't think I would get another one. 

The shows really weren't appealing.  DH doesn't really like the saloon show, and I didn't want to sit through another dog show.  The Wallendas also didn't seem worthwhile.  We did stand outside the Cajun Connection for awhile.  I guess I'm still working through the SDC humdrums, but it was relaxing and peaceful. 

We hope to make an evening visit for Moonlight Madness soon--also kid-free.  I may consider bringing the kids in October--lol.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the trip review StaceySue!

I am glad you had a good time. The regional rain has been a huge heat relief lately! Although the lower temperatures are nice, it has brought some thick humidity with it. Either way is still better than the one hundred plus degree weather!

I wonder if you had a fluke Bloomin' Onion, or if they are all made that way? If you are willing, you could always send Silver Dollar City a suggestion about how you like them made. Who knows, they may seriously consider a change.

A lot of the shows at Silver Dollar City are hit, and miss. Either they are appealing, or they are not.

We hope to make an evening visit for Moonlight Madness soon--also kid-free.  I may consider bringing the kids in October--lol.

That's pretty funny! Kids are a blast, but every now, and then we all deserve some kid free fun! :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:59:31 AM by Ozark BBQ »

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
We attended SDC this past Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  I'll have to agree on the onion as well.  Even sitting at a table by the waterfall, we had a hard time eating this thing because it is not cut through.  By the time you pull it apart, the batter is gone.  I think the big problem here is that they leave the core of the onion.  It was really a mess and I'll not be getting another one.  The temps were pretty hot but between all the shade and the shops, it was certainly do-able. 

The saloon show seemed to be shorter for some reason.  The dog show was pretty good and the kids enjoyed it.  Plus, it was a feel good moment when you learn that the stunt dogs were all rescued from shelters.  The Wallendas where alright.  (Again, the kids liked it)

All the rides were going full blast and still say they refridgerate the water on the River Blast ride!  LOL.  My goodness that water is cold when you get shot in the back!!!!  Crowd level was moderate.  We never rode Lost River because the line was so long, but lines for the other rides were pretty short and not much of a wait.

The biggest problem we had was the trams.  They really need to rethink the logistics because after a long day in the hot city, the last thing I want to do is stand in the sun waiting to board a tram!  We left aroung 4pm and the three trams they were running were in a convoy back to back.  If they would keep these things spaced out correctly, there would be much less waiting to board.  I believe it was Monday, I ended up helping the staff move the fence around to handle the amount of people waiting to leave.  Again, the trams were all in line and were loaded so we had to wait until they made the complete circuit so we could be picked up.  They REALLY need to monitor this more closely to aviod the pile ups.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM by DeweyBald »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »
You mentioned lots of interesting points Dewey. If more, and more people are not a fan of the onion preparations, perhaps Silver Dollar City will hear from those people, and consider an adjustment.

I wonder why the Saloon Show was shorter? Unless it was just such a great show that it seemed shorter. :) The other Kids Fest shows don’t do much for me either, but if the kids love them, and are happy, then that’s just fine.

I never knew that they refrigerate the water at River Blast. If that is the case, then that is probably the best way to cool off at Silver Dollar City. ;D

I hate to hear about the long wait times with the trams. Unfortunately, that is becoming a regular occurrence. In an ideal situation, management would be on top of the problem, but it could have been an oversight, or poor planning. If you are willing, you should contact Silver Dollar City, and voice your concerns. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Thanks for the trip review Dewey!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Refrigerate the water at RiverBlast? I'm sure somebody was joking. That would be huge cost. If you are hot and dry...and the water hits you in the back, I'm sure it FEELS as if they refrigerate it.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
I know this kinda late but thought I would go over my visit from last Sunday the 10th. I will say this first there have been very few times that I have been disappointed with SDC but there were something things I saw and found out that I was a disappointed.
Sunday started off good got there around ten and parked in the preferred parking and was talking with the attendant a he was saying they were not estimating alot of people at the park that day which is nice sometimes when you are there. We had breakfast at the Mill which was very good what I thought was very nice was that they had the buckets with the quotes on it turned off and my son had mentioned to me and one of the ladies heard him came over and told she would use some magic and get it turned back on. When she turned it on he was thrilled and would not stop talking about it the rest of the time we were eating. When we left I was talking to the cashier and she was saying that so for this year attendance was down and that most of the estimates that they were making each day had been off.
We did run into the sheriff who after my son asked was deputized and joked around with him from a few minutes. The time these guys spend with the kids is just great it makes for a great experience.
After that we headed over to the flooded mine all was working very well but I wish the one seen where the miner says I am getting out of here no mater what would match up with the explosion and when he presses the detonator. All the rest seemed really good.
After the flooded mine went on the train. This is where I say my first disappoint went as we were traveling through the woods somehad set up some bright yellow flood lights. Granted these maybe needed for something but at least cover them up I believe the expression is NOT IN MISS MARY'S TIME.  The hold up was good but for some reason lately the last couple of times they have cut short the entire skit. Which I do not understand since the station had not been that full when we came back anyway.
After that we had decided to get something to eat since it was so warm we headed to Big Jack's Sandwhich shop. Not it had been awhile since I had been in there but after I sat down I noticed something was different. Well before you would go up to the counter and they would make your sandwhich right there ,now I was told because people complained how slow it was(It's Silver Dollar City it suppose to be slow) they make all the sandwiches in the morning and they do not grill anything anymore also so no Philly cheese sandwiches. I was talking to one of the  workers and she was telling me how disappointed they were of the change. I am sorry but they need to change that back. If I want a premade sandwhich I will go to quicktrip.
We also visited GG which looked good but there were a couple pieces of equipment that were not working. Again I know things break and maybe it just broke that day but was kinda disappointed in seeing that.
Last we visited GM again this is one thing I did not think that I would every say much about but was disappointed with a couple of things. First when you first enter you walk through a hallway that tilts back and forth that was not working. Next I noticed that they now have security cameras set up in the rooms. I am sorry but these things stick out like a sore thumb. If you need to have them that's fine but at least do a better job of hiding them.
I will say any day that I get to visit SDC is a good day but sometimes it is disappointed to see this stuff to where you wonder who is walking the parking looking for stuff like this.
I think a good idea would be to hire a couple of up to walk the park on occasion and report back about thing that need to be fixed or at least placed better.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
One last thing in GM I am pretty sure that the pool table ball never hit anything and made it perfectly into the corner pocket. Not so much anymore.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 16, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »
all valid point jmc... I was GREATLY dissapointed with jacks shop also, will not eat there again. yes premade sandwhich... go to quick shop.... BUT I can tell you this the philly sandwich is now being made down by lake silver..... Oh man!!  I think it is the dockside grill...  great sandwich.   

hopefully your next trip will be better..

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
I am sure I will. Any day at SDC is a good day to me. Just kinda concerning at times the changes they make. They look at the big picture which I understand is important but it is the the little details that makes SDC what it is. Also when you hear the citizens unhappy with the changes you start to wonder who listens since some of these guys have been there a very long time.
Ok I will get off my soap box

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 16, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
jmc....same here.  I was there Sunday as well and noticed the same things you did.  I just thought my post was too full of "gripes" so I cut them short.  Yes GG has several items not working and I as sad to see GM's tilting room not tilting.

Folks I WAS joking about the water in RB.  I tell my kids when we are waiting in line when the boats are being filled with water from the top that the water comes from ice machines.  Then when they get hit with it on the ride they believe me!

I did forget to mention that RB was shut down Monday afternoon for a short time.  Never did hear why it was shut down, but they were running the boats several times through without any people on them.  Finally one of the operators got into a boat and made a pass, then they opened back up.

When we left Tuesday, we were in HH and I asked one of the ladies there if they sold the spread they put on Big Jacks Sandwiches and she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about.  Strange........

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 16, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
I assume you mean their specialty, the Big Jack. It is a classic New Orleans Muffuletta with salami, ham, mortadella( a cured Italian sausage/ salome), provolone cheese and a homemade olive spread.

Is this the "spread" you mean?

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
That's it.  Good stuff, but they don't see it in the HH.  They should.....

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 16, 2011, 10:41:10 PM »
I am a big fan of Italian Giardiniera , but not a big fan of green olives. That is my only reason for avoiding the Muffuletta at Big Jacks...Otherwise I'd be all over it! Dewey is it very "olivey"?