Author Topic: Operating Dates  (Read 3079 times)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Operating Dates
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
I noticed both last year and this, that SDC is closed during some of the weekdays during August. Why is this? Seems like to me that August is the month where a lot, if not most, families are able to go on vacation. Luckily my family is able to go in June/July but I would be very disappointed if I could only go in August with SDC being closed on those days...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:53:05 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Operating Dates
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
SDC will not operate when historically the crowds are not there. 
I think you are talking about the time of year that school is starting.
I have been at SDC on a Christmas evening and they closed the park up 2 hours early, I was shocked.
The shop keeper meet me at the door as I was trying to go into the Christmas store and told me as he locked the door, " They will not lose money"  Now to be fair I think there were 50 people in the park at the time, I mean it was completely dead.  THey also did not give out free vouchers to come back, that I was very suprised at.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
SDC has always, since at least the late 70s, closely monitored the crowds on park. In the years I worked there, they provided an estimated park guest count, based on figures kept from the previous last few years, and gave the list to each shop/attraction so staffing needs could be planned accordingly. In about 1979, I remember a day when over 20,000 people were on park, which was a record for that time. I worked that day and was beat to death by the number of people (guests) I had contact with. A few years ago when I visited Branson/SDC, I visited in mid-August, and was blown away by the fact that not only SDC, but several music shows and Shepherd of the Hills were closed some days! In the years I lived and worked there, that would never have happened. But, just like the ole shopkeeper said in the above posting, no one wants to loose money. In mid-August folks stay at home for a week or two as they get their kids back in school, then, back to vacations again by the end of the month. I think that is why they are closed in that period every year. We would have to get Zephon or Copper to add to this thread to get a firmer answer.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
you guys are right on the "money" about the closed dates.

EVEN though we are talking about our beloved SDC.  It is a business to run, and if they have consistent, slow days year to year. they are going to close..Because after all the "bottom line" IS the bottom line. :D

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
Interesting...I didn't realize it would be a slow time for them, but it does make sense now...I guess school starts earlier in August than it used to...Thanks for shedding light on this for me..
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
We go back August 24th next year.
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
Schools in northern AR can start as early as August 14th.