Author Topic: Bluegrass & BBQ  (Read 5703 times)

TigerGirl1226

• View Profile
Bluegrass & BBQ
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »
We are going to be at SDC in May during Bluegrass & BBQ. Please tell me your thoughts. From what I saw it is more "bluegrass" and a promo for the BBQ restaurant, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks for you input!!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Bluegrass & BBQ
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
IMHO
Bluegrass is excellent!
The BBQ is okay. 
They have a tent with like 100 different types of BBQ sauce that you can sample and buy.  That was cool.
But there is not much variety in the food itself, pretty much the same thing you can get at SDC all year long, just more places to get it.

TigerGirl1226

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the input!!

I figured the food wouldn't be too different that their usual fare.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
Each year we end up buying several bottles of BBQ sauce to take home that aren't available where we live.
Some years there are several booths in Red Gold Heritage Hall that have a variety of BBQ representing different styles of BBQ around the country. The music is always great.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
I have tried the BBQ in the House of BBQ two years in a row now and I have gotten food poisoning both times so never again.  I'll stick with Rib House down by Lost River.
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
I have eaten in the House of BBQ also.  Never gotten food poisoning nut I wouls rather eat the BBQ in the mine.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
biscuitcreek-I have found silver dollar city sauce in all the groccery stores in my town (which is like an hour an forty five minutes away) the stores include walmart price cutter and family market which is a small rink o dink kinda place with great samich meat. if you ask your local groccery for it they might carry it.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
Until I attended OTC this year, the Bluegrass and BBQ Festival was my favorite...Actually, I may even like it better than OTC...it's close...anyway, the food was ok, not the greatest, but the Bluegrass music is the best...In fact, I love the music and wish I could attend this Festival every year...I've caught it twice and loved it both times...It's hard being a principal with an extended contract living in Colorado to make it that early in the year....To sum it up, you can never go wrong attending this festival...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:29:21 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
agreed,  great food, and even better music. and with performers like Rhonda Vincent you cant go wrong.

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
biscuitcreek-I have found silver dollar city sauce in all the groccery stores in my town (which is like an hour an forty five minutes away) the stores include walmart price cutter and family market which is a small rink o dink kinda place with great samich meat. if you ask your local groccery for it they might carry it.

The SDC sauce was in one of our local(Tulsa, OK) also.  I think it was in Reasor's, maybe Wal Mart too.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
Yes, that SDC BBQ sauce is available in several flavors, and should be easy to find at many stores in the region. I have no trouble finding it around here in NW Arkansas.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
I dont usually indulge in the BBQ, as much as try to do the shows, and see the visiting performers.  But what BBQ i eat, I do eat at the SDC eateries.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
I ALWAYS eat the BBQ, but I will be avoiding the BBQ with the issues Swoosh has had. No need to be on my 4 hr drive back to StL with food poisoning!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
yea rube that would be "UGLY"!!!!!!  :o

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
I have been known, on occasion, to end up in SDC on a random unannounced day, and be back home in time for supper...Full but happy! I have thought before that I would get food poisoning and not tell the wife where I was earlier in the day...and have her find out on the news that a salmonella outbreak was at SDC...only to find out I had salmonella...hmm can you say doghouse? Luckily on my 2 BBQ excursions, I have made it home safe!