Author Topic: FLASHBACK: 1983 Season!  (Read 3005 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
FLASHBACK: 1983 Season!
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
For years, SDC had a "gentleman's agreement" with Branson businesses. SDC did the daytime entertainment, Branson had the shows at night only. Then, some of the theaters and other venues decided about 1981 or 1982 to start adding daytime shows. SDC responded by opening ECHO HOLLOW as an evening dinner show. It cost an additional admission for it that first year. Also, SDC produced a special brochure handed out to guests to promote other evening entertainment on park. A special feature that year included a hewn log cabin built over the summer and stocked with SDC craftsman produced products and furnishings. It was offered for sale to the highest bidder at the end of the year. (It did not sell, and the building currently houses apple butter.) A company newsletter from April that year told employees all the new things guests could enjoy that year, clogging took center stage at the Mountain Folks' Music Festival...and a sad note, SDC Founder Mary Herschend and legendary SDC basketweaver Leslie Jones passed away that year. It all happened in 1983. Check the Flickr site for a peek at some of the keepsakes from my personal files from 1983, plus obituaries on Miss Mary and Mr. Jones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: FLASHBACK: 1983 Season!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »
Cool stuff, Junior!
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
There was never anything contractual so I guess it just business.

I wish people would honor "gentleman's agreements" like they used to. I handshake used to be good to seal a deal. You just can't trust people anymore.  ???

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
true enough okie.. I am only 50 years old, but was brought up "handshake" is a deal..

Now you shake hands and hand them a pen to sign the contract.. :-[

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
Yeah. I tend to get myself in trouble by taking people at their word. Shoulda learned after dealing with that Army  recruiter. LOL

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
 ;D ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
My Flickr account with my SDC photos and collectable items on it is about at full capacity and I will be purging the site and clearing much of the old 2010 season stuff out. So go ahead and view the illustrations another time or two and brace yourselves...most of that stuff will vanish in about two weeks. Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"