Author Topic: FLASHBACK: 1978 Season!  (Read 2708 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
FLASHBACK: 1978 Season!
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
It only cost $7.95 for an adult admission...the Pathfinder for that season looks a whole lot different than it does today...special events included the Fall Square Dance Weekend...SDC released both a regular and "fancy" brochure, each with their own special pictures and text...the Passport tickets looked a lot different than the scanned variety we have today...and the bumper sticker sold in the Hospitality House featured the logo and slogan for our favorite theme park...the season began April 23rd, and ended October 29th. It was my FIRST year as a "citizen" and I worked at the old Vineyard Restaurant, just 15 years old on my first day of work! It all happened in 1978!!! Check out the Flickr site for pictures, brochures, special events, the pathfinder, and more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: FLASHBACK: 1978 Season!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
Man, I miss the simplicity of the pathfinders from back then.  I always liked the ones that gave the shape of all the buildings and had minimal features. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
I love the "introduction of the new craft guild" I have a few pieces from that first years craft guild-a pewterspoon, anad a plate.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
My older kids are going to Young Christians weekend this year with their youth group. I had no idea it had been going on that long.

I also never knew they used to give guided tours (Boardwalk Review). When did this stop?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »
They only gave guided tours  for a few years, maybe around 77-78 through about 81-82. They had someone dressed in the uniforms that the cave guides, turnstyle and ticket booth personnel used to wear, the "official" state park looking uniform. The groups were usually ten to twenty people, and stops were at various points along the route of the tours in the park. The tour guides told you about crafts, food, rest room locations, rides, attractions, and upcoming festivals and events, then after the tour, you were free to roam at will. I think some people took a partial tour, then took off on their own. As time passed, fewer and fewer people bothered with tours, so SDC quit doing them. As a new employee, I took one of the tours as part of a group of new employees, a part of our introductory training at SDC. It was alright, but as I had visited the park many times as a guest, I pretty much knew about everything that was pointed out on the tour. One of the stopping points on the tour was at the entry of the diving bell, and sometimes as "Junior Dugan," I would approach with some of the other guys and do silly little things to make the tour guide "mess up." It got a laugh from guests, but the tour guides sometimes got annoyed!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
nice..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
Just a quick notice to everyone...in about two weeks I plan to "purge" my Flickr account to make room for more photos and illustrations. So please take another look at everything. About the time SDC opens for the 2011 season, most of what is on my site will disappear! Thanks, all!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Hey junior, THANKS for all the pics and look forward to what you have for us this year..