Author Topic: Tornado on Indian Point.  (Read 5932 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Tornado on Indian Point.
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_930a2e7e-1852-11e0-bf33-001cc4c002e0.html

The tornado was one of three that occurred in the Table Rock Lake area late Dec. 30 and early Dec. 31. A fourth tornado occurred just before 8 a.m. Dec. 31.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Tornado on Indian Point.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
good thing, sounds like nobody was hurt. just property damage.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
Our land is on Indian Point. No structures at this point though, so as far as that goes we are safe. We haven't gotten a call yet from the neighbors...maybe we should call them! I cannot tell you how many times I have driven by the house in the article, hundreds, if not thousands of times!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
Tornados are definitely a force of nature that cannot be reckoned with. Both Northwestern Arkansas, and Southwestern Missouri were hot spots for tornado activity that morning. I am glad to hear no one was seriously hurt from the Branson areas tornados. Sunshine, snow, rain, and some clouds are always welcome in Branson, but Tornados are not. :-X

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
Just got word from some friends on Indian Point that run White Wing Resort
It hit the end of DD in Kimberling pretty hard too just before jumping the lake and hitting Indian Point. Indian Point Resorts had 3 docks turned upside down and had a small boat in the trees. They had customers coming in for NewYears so jim(owner of White Wing resort) went down there and helped clean up for about 4 hours. 12 homes were damaged too. LeEtta's house was totaled.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
rube, i am so glad no one was injured there...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
That was a big storm system that blew in from Oklahoma, swept across my corner of Arkansas, killing 6 people in Benton County...then it moved on up into Missouri to the Branson area. Scary night for all of us down this direction.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
Tornados are always expected in the Spring, but they sure have a way of popping up out of no where in the winter time too. The only tornado that is permitted in Branson is the one Jim Stafford uses (or at least previously used) in his show.  ;)

sarahdickson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
This gives me a new perspective, I was in Branson a couple years back and there was severe weather/Tornado watch for the area and a older lady in some little shop told me she lived in Branson her whole life and a tornado had never touched down there and something to do with the way the mountains are, they never would get tornadoes... does anyone know if there is any truth to that theory?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »
I'm no weatherman, but I think a tornado can happen anywhere on the globe if the conditions are right.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
Agreed, junior!

Tornado will hit anywhere it wants.. The past has proven that time and time again!

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:33 AM »
Well i know for a fact that the hills wont stop a tornado. As you drive down 65 from springfield and u start down the big hill before saddlebrook on the west side of the road all of the trees are gone off of the hill because years back a twister came through and ripped them all out. So yes a tornado can definitely hit in the "Ozark mountains" :-)
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
another "myth" is that a tornado will not hit between to close rivers, But in 1974 a tornado hit emporia,ks and took out a mall, and several homes... 

Emporia sits beteen the cottonwood river and the neosho river. the rivers are about 7-8 miles about and surround the town.    FYI

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
This gives me a new perspective, I was in Branson a couple years back and there was severe weather/Tornado watch for the area and a older lady in some little shop told me she lived in Branson her whole life and a tornado had never touched down there and something to do with the way the mountains are, they never would get tornadoes... does anyone know if there is any truth to that theory?

I remember that well. We were camping at The Wilderness and heard the tornado sirens from Indian Point. Everyone crowded in the bathrooms until it was clear. Not a pleasant evening.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett