Author Topic: What was the name of this ride? (Greedy Bros)  (Read 18100 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: What was the name of this ride? (Greedy Bros)
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
Greedy Brothers was a relatively cheap add for SDC in 1984. So was the shantytown playground and the ore carts for kids, put in place next to Greedy Brothers. I personally thought Lake Silver was getting pretty crowded in '84, and having the Greedy Bros. boats go past geysers and having the Greedy Bro. riders boo at our folks on the diving bell wharf when we booed at Eli Tolts Submersible, was quite a distraction from what we were doing at the diving bell. The folks seemed to like it, though, so there you have it!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
I guess I never paid attention before. But looking at these old photos makes me think that the large structure inthe lake with the greedy brothers was kept all these years and is the original portion of the Kids area that is adjacent to it now...geyser gulch. Duh, ummmm, I guess I done forgot! Junior is gettin' to be an old guy and is loosing some of his memory. ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
This structure Junior??? (I had to have some sort of segway to post another photo!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:34:01 AM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »
Alright now to blow your minds....we have talked about the gandy dancers, the greedy bros, the diving bell...but no one mentioned this other short lived attraction at the riverfront area...

THE SHANTY TOWN WATER MAZE

Anyone remember?

Maybe this helps....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:39:35 AM by rubedugans »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Wow, rube how do have such a vast collection? You are like a magician pulling a rabit out of a hat!

Anyway, the first picture is very reminiscent of the current four legged, wooden Geyser Gulch piece with the tube attached that sits in the water. The second picture, I am completely at a loss of words. I have never seen that before! How did it work?  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:10:44 AM by Ozark BBQ »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »
Thank you Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your servers. :D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
sweet niblets thats awesome! Great job rube!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
WHOOPS! Wait a minute Rube...Top picture of the little water spout...part of Greedy Brothers, (But just off from the tower and bucket in the lake next to diving bell) and, yeah, I know you are joking about THAT being part of what is now Geyser Gulch.   OK...now the lower shot of the minature items in the lake. I want to say that is actually the short lived remote controlled boats that were in the lake as part of the paid games area in late 1980. The remote controlled boats had little change/vending boxes with a steering wheel on em attached to the rope/net fence along the lake near the diving bell. The boats were placed in the water each morning and removed each night. They were stored in a small storage/boat repair room at the front of the diving bell building. If I am not mistaken, your photo shows the area in the lake at the end of the diving bell qeue area where the remote controlled boats could move around in. you paid your fifty cents by putting in the vending box (looked like a change box on a old soda machine or an early video game or pinball machine.) then you steered the boat with the steering wheel. Of course, people would crash the little boats into one another, which meant nightly repairs after the boats were removed from the water. The boats were dressed up to look like tugboats, old time freighters, and so on. All of the JUNIORs at the diving bell pretty much HATED the remote controlled boats. We just thought the management had gone too far off theme. In the end, I don't think the remote controlled boats made enough money and the daily repairs were very time consuming. The guy from paid games who usually oversaw the boats was Roger, and he was a nice guy. He really tried his best to keep repairs up on the little boats, but he was DAILY fixing them up with a glue gun! The boats were gone by the end of the 1980 or 1981 season. I personally loaded some of those props in the water in that shot above in the back of my dad's pick up truck the day after the 81 season ended, and carried them over to the atmosphere barn where they were put in storage. I seem to remember the PVC pipes that contained the boats in one area had gotten enough goop on 'em from being on the lake a long time that they just were thrown in the dumpster. If the picture you have is of something that was in the lake POST 1984 or 1985, they must have tried running the remote controlled boats a second time. But I honestly think your picture is from the latter half of the 1980 season, (Period of the ORIGInal remote controlled boats) because there are no other structures in the background visible in the lake, and I see the rocks on the opposite shore, which were there during the diving bell days. THANKS FOR A PHOTO LIKE THIS. I JUST WISH THE REMOTE CONTROLLED BOATS WERE IN THE WATER IN THE SHOT. If I'd known you had this shot, I would have asked to use it in the diving bell booklet! It shows something that operated at the lake at the same time of the diving bell that was very short lived. :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 04:03:38 PM »
OK! Taking a second look at the photo...I see some of the little remote controlled boats in the shot. I dimly see the Eli Tolts tower/submersibile in the background, so I'm still thinking this was a shot from 1980 of the remote controlled boats. If you have other photos of this, yes, I'd love to see them.
-
taking a second look at the first photo, yeah...the BIG structure in the lake is the one I'm talking about that must now be part of the Geyser Gulch set up.

Do you have any pictures of the paid games area across from the diving bell...it would have an area raised from the street level with additional sawdust, a "jacob's ladder" game, an elevated horizontal post that people would sit on and smack each other with a foam filled gunny sack to test their balance. Paid games was only around from 1980 through about the end of 1981 or 82. The attendants took a little money from you, and you could try the old time games...another one was "ball and jack." if you won, you got a little prize. They kept a steamer trunk full of mugs and other cheap prizes culled from the bargain bin of the hospitality house and ozark marketplace that that would give away to winners.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
those paid games sound like fun! I wanna play Jacobs Ladder! Whoo! And I like the steamer trunk full of goodies. Even if they are bargin barrel items.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
Sweet niblets.... :D.Unfortunately the number of shots from the boats(and yes all you said was spot on) are either too dark, or are already posted, I may have 1-2 more, but not anything of value. These were taken the ONLY year or so the boats were in service. Sorry I didn't think this would apply to the diving Bell project (I completely forgot about it until the Greedy Bros discussion came up) I will check my photos again tonight and see what I got..I knew however that most people forgot, or never knew this attraction even existed!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
Wow! I forgot about the RC boats! This picture resurfaced my memory. I remember WoF's boats, but this hit the spot.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 08:00:30 PM »
drawing a blank on that...  seems odd that the boats did not work at SDC,,  they tried them agaon at CC  boats? submarines?  something like that anyway. ???

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »
its times like these that I wish I wernt so young, that I coulda partakin in the shanty town r/c boats. but why would the 1800's have r/c boats? hmmmmmmm. Anyway....heres to the not so young but not quite old!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
All of the JUNIORs at the diving bell pretty much HATED the remote controlled boats. We just thought the management had
gone too far off theme.

That line made me chuckle!  :D

I find it interesting that even back in the early 1980's when I considered the theme to be very strong, there was still an uproar about staying on theme. That's just something that all generations of Silver Dollar City aficionados are passionate about. :)

So besides getting to navigate little remote control boats in the water, what was the main draw of the game? Did you win anything by completing the course, or was it more of a “pat on the back” so to speak?