Author Topic: Do you ever get nonstalgic for SDC at the oddest moments?  (Read 6757 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Do you ever get nonstalgic for SDC at the oddest moments?
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »
I went on a hay ride the past weekend and this thing was a chuggin and a pullin and a bumpin along. To my left I saw trees, to my right I saw trees. I got nonstalgic for the train. I turned to my husband and said to him that we best be watchin out for them no good bolin brothers I hear that they are branching out and robbing hay rides now. He of course just rolled his eyes at me, but I know they were there in spirit. Waitin to rob me of my salt water taffy and spare pennies!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever get nonstalgic for SDC at the oddest moments?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
funny.....  you do know what that means right?  trees on the left-  trees on the right...  thats right your in a ___________?  ???   Love the train.. ;D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
It means your in the woods! ;D Okay I'll take my A+ sticker now. ;)

As mentioned before in these parts, the one thing that really takes me back is the smell of rainsoaked asphalt. Ah, yes that's the stuff.  :)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »
It means your in the woods! ;D Okay I'll take my A+ sticker now. ;)

As mentioned before in these parts, the one thing that really takes me back is the smell of rainsoaked asphalt. Ah, yes that's the stuff.  :)

Isn't that weird how that distinct smell IS SDC?  I have a bunch of old railroad ties used as landscaping in my yard and if they get hot in the sun or rained on, it really reminds me of the park.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
totally aagree with aforementioned asphalt smell. takes ya right back to way back when!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »
ok ozark.. you win!  prize is one entry to SDC this year..  I am guessing u already have a season pass!!  lol..

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
Thats funny you ask'd -- just this weekend we burnt off alot'a wood from some of these summer storms, & i told my woman that every once in awhile i get a hint of the right smell of certain wood burning & it reminds me of SDC.

Drivin' to work there is a part on the hi-way that reminds of right before ya get to Branson on hi-way 65.
Live life like it's the last day!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
For me, it's the asphalt smell too. I also like to watch a fair share of RFD-TV and when they run their commercials....*sigh*....SDC is always prominent in the Branson commercials! I remember when I was down there a little over two years ago. We went to breakfast at Golden Corral just down from RFD-TV the Theater and drove around the scenic areas there. When I see the commercial of RFD-TV the Theater, it takes me right back to that breakfast and drive.

I dont know if I really have them at the oddest moments, it seems it's just moments period.  ;D
Andymeets1880s

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
Constantly using references from SDC.
I play the mine ride song on my mandolin, the train (last week I went through the whole ride line by line to the wife, also did this with the cave tour) I told her all about the old Carrie Nation and Mean Murphy saloon shows. Told her about the Dillards old show and Mercy Pervis. Told her about Jim Dandy playing country boy on a bunch of different instruments. I think I might be a little obsessed. SDC in 3 days and counting yeee haww

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:25:46 AM »
aww yes,  the sound of the train 2 miles away, smell of the hiway and railrtoad ties around the garden...  the sounds and smell of Fall..  ready to go back to sdc....

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
Okay, so this may be a forced perspective, but every time I turn on my bluegrass music it takes me back! :D There is a nearby road that I like to travel on which has heavy trees draping over both sides. I love putting in a bluegrass CD, rolling down the windows, and coasting down the road at a turtles pace.

I haven't tooted my car horn like the train whistle just yet, but it's crossed my mind. :P

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
Top reminders of SDC

1. Blacktop Smell
2. Bluegrass Music
3. Any Steam Train Whistle
4. Everytime my phone rings (it is a FITH scene ringtone!)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
I listen to the bluegrass channnel for about 15 minutes on DirectTV every morning before i leave for work.
Live life like it's the last day!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »
I listen to the bluegrass channnel for about 15 minutes on DirectTV every morning before i leave for work.

I agree! Nothing puts you in good mood, and gets you ready for the day better then Bluegrass Music.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
That is my driving music every morning (all 5 miles to work past the fields and farms) as well as my lunchtime relazation music.