Author Topic: Cliff Wagner  (Read 3201 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Cliff Wagner
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
Cliff performed as SDC back in the 90's. I remember him from the Starlite Theater back When Chisai Childs was running it. I knew that he had been killed in an auto accident in 2004. My grandparents knew him pretty well. Does anyone remember Cliff and the show that he was in in the gaslight theater back before listen to the river moved in back in 93?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Wagner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »
Cliff was a great guy. I never worked directly with him, but I worked with his brother, Tony Wagner, everyday at the diving bell from 81-84. Cliff was a very talented and beloved entertainer at SDC and Branson. He eventually became an emcee at Presley's show in Branson. He loved singing and performing. He died of a heart attack, very unexpectedly and suddenly. Cliff's brother, Tony is living back in their hometown of Nevada, MO, where he has been involved in local theatrical productions. If my eyes did not trick me, there are some photos of Tony at the May 50th anniversary weekend at the reunion hall that have been posted with other anniversary photos here on sdcfans.com. Cliff was a few years older than me and the rest of the goofballs at the diving bell, and we looked up to him as a big brother figure, he was well respected, and did a good job with every show he performed in at SDC.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
I had the privilege of working closely with Cliff for a number of years.  In the Saloon show, Carrie Nation version; in a show called "Down By the Riverside," a quartet singing mostly Stephen Foster music; in a Hatfields and McCoys show called "The Musical Feud," and a musical comedy called "Timothy Turnbuckle and the Amazing Traveling Time Machine," both in what is now the Riverfront Playhouse.  He was a greatly talented singer/actor and well as a genuinely nice person.  His untimely death was truly shocking.  He was a very good friend.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »
http://www.nevadadailymail.com/story/1061555.html

As I mentioned, my grandparents knew most of the branson area entertainers fairly well. I was told at the time of his passing that he was actually electrocuted in a car accident. He was always very nice to us as kids. I guess the good die young. I remember the Barry Manilow songs that he used to sing all the time. He was a really good guy.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
Thanks for posting the obit. Never knew all that about Cliff.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"