Author Topic: Washtub bass: anyone else remember it?  (Read 16563 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Washtub bass: anyone else remember it?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »
There will be 2 geared tuning pegs at the tailpiece, and one geared at the head stop/ top of the neck. 3 in total. I could put a friction peg about 1/3 down the neck for a "fifth string" type set up for the fourth string, BUt I will wait to see hoe this sound first. I am by no means expectng an orchestral sounding piece. Judging from the youtube videos, it plinks, and thats about it...I just want to see how far I can get on it before I have to actually spend anything!

Geared pegs came from a first act brand started guitar I pulled out of a trash can on my way to work last year...so far cost= $0.00!!! I will have to buy superglue here real soon. When it comes to strings...I will have to cross that path of quality vs cost. I can go with fishing line-weed whip cord, or traditional strings. I will see when I get to that point what I can do.

If I get some glue today I will post those pics tonight.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
I really like the artwork on the wind harp Rube! ;D I hope when it gets completed that it will become nice family treasure of sorts.

The banjo project seems to really be gathering steam. With the exceptions of a few hurdles here, and there, I think you will have your own musical instrument in no time. You are turning out to be quite the craftsmen.

I look forward to your updates! :)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
I played in a band here in Oklahoma City that tried out a guy with a trashcan bass. It was something else.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
Alright I located almost all of the necessary parts and hopefully after this week, I can finish this banjo up and move onto the trash can bass (which should only take an hour or two.)

My only missing pieces for the banjo are the staples, I am out of staples and I don't want to buy any! I want to do this totally with free, or with found objects...granted I paid 1$ for glue, staples wouldn't be much of an expense...

Strings are supposed to be fishing line...but my only spools are 10 and 15 lb line, where as the only example I found was using heavy gauge shark line or something (okay not quite) but I have no 30lb line laying around, nor would I want a whole spool of the stuff just for this project. I am gonna swing by bass pro next week and see what they can offer me

Tuning pegs are ready to mount. The hardest part was drilling the precise placement of the lower 2 pegs WITHOUT hitting a racquet string.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
As with other posts, I have fallen behind for a few reasons. Firstly, work has been more hectic than usual. Secondly I pretty much broke my thumb (ruptured ulnar collateral ligament-imagine blowing out your knee, in a thumb form where it meets up with your hand!)

I did get a chance to chip away at the banjo. Head is attached, tuning pegs are on, all I need is a bridge, and a nut, and I am good to go. Photos when it is done (hopefully mon or tues) Atleast it will be ready when my hand heals!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:44:44 PM by rubedugans »

sjrogers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 05:35:53 PM »
This is probably not the group you were referencing but the Blue & Gray Pickers out of Lone Jack, Missouri use a wash tub base.  This picture was taken at SDC in 2002.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:39:08 PM by sjrogers »
Steve

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
Rube-I made a shelf in shop once, had to square the wood and route it and stain it....looked mighty nice till I made it outside with it then it fell apart. Lucky it held until I got the grade!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Alright...Once my other thumb heals, I will finish the Banjo. Yes, sadly I said other thumb. Lets just say I accidentally checked the sharpness of my band saw blade with my thumb. One week later, it is butterflied shut, and is hopefully going to heal alright with limited damage. If you can imagine, it is pretty hard to have a blown out thumb, and a lacerated thumb at the same time! It'll give me time to finish reading Junior's book though!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
Well, thanks for the update Rube! I would give you a thumbs up for a job well done, but I digress.  ;)

After you have literally poured your blood, sweat, and tears into this project, I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

Aunt Mollie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
In a music Class I had at School of the Ozarks, we were required to form a group and create a musical instrument. We had an experienced musician in our group who made a washtub base with a twist.  Instead of pulling the broomstick back and forth the way George did in theBaldknobbers, he drew fret lines on it. While everyone else demonstrated plinging random notes on boxes, with rubber bands, he made that old tub base sing a rather rousing " Smoke on the Water." I suppose I still owe him for that A!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »
I am going to have to revisit this thread! I never did finish that banjo! It still sits awaiting a bridge and more appropriate strings. Thanks Aunt Mollie for helping me remember this project!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:50:09 AM by rubedugans »