Author Topic: Do you think Geyser Gulch should be removed?  (Read 15439 times)

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think Geyser Gulch should be removed?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »
"I'm sorry, but I want a new skyline on that side of the lake - something that will look great in photos".  ?????

Now thats a great reason to tear down something so popular with young and old alike.  Really?  Good pictures?  Lets not worry about if it will be an asset to the park....it's got to look good in pictures.  I dont mean to be rude, but I expect more from someone who has been here as long as you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
I don't think remove, I just think a neew paint scheme possibly...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
GG does seem to have a magical effect on kids.  They seem to look at it like a giant tree house without the tree.  I have seen kids playing for a long time just running through the little squirt of water that comes up from the ground.  It's strange how something so simple as that can keep them so interested.

OMG, when we took my then 1 1/2-year-old niece to Geyser Gulch last year, she LOVED the squirts of water near the entrance. She played in them for several minutes. When we finally decided to move on, she threw a fit when we took her away from it. :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:56:50 PM »
The surprise squirts of water are always a child favorite! I remember when I was a kid I used to get a kick out of them at any theme park that had them.  ;D

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:12 PM »
GG is certainly far from my favorite attraction in park, but it fills it's role of offering quite a bit of capacity and taking a big load off the rest of the park. Plus, it puts lots of smiles on lots of young'uns.

Yeah, it hasn't worn well. Yeah, it's not that attractive. But it fills a big need. And it's probably more theme-friendly than plenty of other things they could put in its place.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
The Water fountains that kids jump in at DW is the family favorite. Water guns are already up at RB at DW, and they have Adventure Mountain, so they decided to let it go. Dreamland Forest has alot of wear and tear. It has to have alot of upkeep. So they are putting in a Pig Pen themed water fountain area, and a barnyard themed playground, so it will be good enough. I mean there's plenty of things for kids to do. There's Country Fair, Blazing  Fury, Mountain SLidewinder, Adventure Mountain, Smoky MOuntain RIver Rampage, Daredevil Falls, River Battle and the new barnyard playgrounds coming in 2011 so it will all work out, and I personally can't wait for DW to open in 2011. SO EXCITED. Also, i'm excited to see what SDC will add in 2011! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
Please as much as I hate those dirty pourous foam balls dont get rid of GG! It actually allows me to sit and watch my kid play and I dont have to interact unless he up and decides to go to the blasted guns then well break times over! But for the most part it is something a 4 year old can do, and do by themselves for the most part. Its alot of running and crawling and touching where as other parts of the park he cant do that. Its nice to have. Plus I indulge in the spraying water that shoots from the ground. Just call me beached whale and put up a sign saying the beach is closed!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
Geyser Gulch came along at a point in my life when I was too old to appreciate it. I have been there before, but until I have children, I probably won't use it. However, the notion of taking it out would be as destructive to the children of today as closing the Treehouse or the playground at Tom Sawyer's landing would have been to me when I was young.

I was sad to see that Treehouse & playground go, so I know how the kids of today would feel about GG closing. I might not use it and I think it is "too wet" for SDC, but I think it would be a mistake to close it.
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:50 PM »
Agreed, it is the last "classic" kids play area.. Leave it be. 

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
I wish they would invest in more of an old fashioned playground. I guess there is just too much potential for lawsuit happy parents so it probably won't happen.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
I wish they would invest in more of an old fashioned playground.

Part of your wish might come true!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »
do tell more copper!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »
Hey, I'm ready for the big 2011 announcement! To anyone who is around when that announcement is made: PLEASE POST PICTURES! Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
If you go to the 2011 thread you'll see that some visible progress has been made already
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
I was very disappointed that they took most of the things out of the area for small children.  My three year old twins are very hesitant to go and play with the big kids.  They get run over and that area allowed them to play but not have to worry about the big kids.  However, the older they get, the more we will visit.