Author Topic: A Detailed Discussion: Moonlight Madness  (Read 11048 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
A Detailed Discussion: Moonlight Madness
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
Welcome to the second week of "A Detailed Discussion"! My plan is to keep the current Discussion stickied as well as its previous, so there will always be two threads of this project at the top of the thread for people to have easy access. So, basically, we'll have this one and KidsFest stickied until next Monday when KidsFest will get demoted and next week's topic is posted/stickied.

INFO ON A DETAILED DISCUSSION THREADS

I thought I might try something new on here. Once a week, I'll post a new thread where we can have detailed discussion of a specific aspect of SDC where we can give compliments, air concerns, and do comparisons to SDC's sister park Dollywood. Once all the topics on my list have been exhausted, I will be going through all the threads and putting together a "Fandom Entreaty" including direct quotes and the like (as long as you give permission). Once put together, I'll post the Entreaty to the forum for everyone to read and give ideas for changes, omissions, additions, etc. Once we have a final draft, I will be sending it to SDC.

TOPIC 2: MOONLIGHT MADNESS

So, for the second "A Detailed Discussion," I'd like to discuss Moonlight Madness. Now that it is over for the year, I thought we could talk in-depth about all aspects of Moonlight Madness: music, theming, shops/merchandise, etc.

I know we already have other threads concerning MM, but as part of this project, I think it'd be nice to have a single thread where everything can be brought together into one discussion.

To give a bit of a format to these Detailed Discussion threads, here's a list of questions to get things started:

What is your favorite fest-related show during Moonlight Madness? Least favorite?

What is your favorite fest-related activity during Moonlight Madness? Least favorite?

What is your favorite fest-related shop during Moonlight Madness? Least favorite?

What would you omit if you were in charge of Moonlight Madness?

What would you add if you were in charge of Moonlight Madness?

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?

So.... let the Detailed Discussion begin!

Joy

ednpaige

• View Profile
Re: A Detailed Discussion: Moonlight Madness
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »
ya know i don't really like alot of this music todays kids are listening to either but we keep forgetting that the moonlight madness is FOR THE YOUNGER GENERATION of SDC fans the park cant cater to one demographic so from time to time we are subject to music or festivals we may or may not like so to Tina's posts get over your self and live and let live !! just a thought

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
At 25, I just so happen to be a part of that "younger generation," and I am actually a huge fan of people like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc. But that music does NOT belong in a park themed to the 1880s.

I am also a moderator on this forum, so I recommend you find a nicer way to express your opinions. Being defensive and rude for your first post does not engender a good first impression. One of the most important aspects that we uphold in this forum is a lack of rudeness.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
I am also 25, and I consider myself still in the "younger generation" demographic as you call it. I love modern music! I love driving down the road, and cranking up the tunes. However, at Silver Dollar City I want to listen to bluegrass, and folk music. So your points 'edpnpaige' are a bit a shaky.

Let's keep Silver Dollar City as Silver Dollar City. Sorry to disappoint, but I will not sit idly by, and watch Silver Dollar City transform into Six Flags Branson.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
Being 29, and a high school/ middle school teacher/coach, I am inundated with every new "pop" song every week on our bus rides. Some of them are catchy, but my musical interests were formed before the mainstream suburban sprawl of rap/ hip-hop music came to my area. I could never get into it, I tried, but I failed. I am a HUGE bluegrass fan, somewhat of a country fan, a dawn rock and roll fan, as well as an 80s/90s rock fan. Van Halen is an all time favorite of mine, and you would think that upon hearing "Eruption" while in the park it would be like combining 2 of my favorite things..like Bert and Ernie, like peanut butter and jelly, Like Captain and Tennille...nope it didn't work. It was a total anachronism for the park. Thankfully it is not all summer, and all day, and to be honest I more than likely wouldn't have gone to the park for the sole reason of attending for the MM. I was bothered a bit, but I was prepared with the "dance party" to hear disco, and pop. I have let this one go , and don't plan on revisiting this time of the day again, not out of spite, or anger, but just because it wasn't my thing. No biggie here. If it spreads to other times...we have problems, but a confined, limited time, is alright with me.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
MM is not just about the younger generation having a good time.  That's like saying that SDC being open during the day is only for grown-ups.

People today want their stuff easy, quick and cheap.  MM is a celebration of that if you don't impart a little theme into it. 

I loved MM as a way to see the City as it was in the past...but in the dark.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
The only reason I went to MM twice this year is because I want to ride rides after dark. Not that it works all that well since they still close at only 10pm but it doesn't get truly dark 'til 9pm-ish. I didn't come for the music; I came for the rides. If the "younger generation" comes to the park outside of MM and don't complain about the music that fits the theme of the park, why have different music during MM? It's supposed to be about the rides, not the music.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
I don't believe Silver Dollar City should bend over backwards to cater to either the older, or younger generations. Silver Dollar City has been very successful with both the young, and old alike since the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's.

The irony is, Silver Dollar City has been successful for five decades without using any "modern" music until now. Perhaps Silver Dollar City is afraid that the 1880's theme isn't "cool," or "hip" with the latest digital generation.

As a child I absolutely loved the "old cowboy" theme of Silver Dollar City, and I still do today as an adult. Perhaps Silver Dollar City is just scared that the younger crowd might actually enjoy the 1880's theme if they were given the chance. It sounds counterintuitive I know. Maybe I am looking deeper into the matter than what it really is?  :P

Like others have expressed around here, I can tolerate the inappropriate music as long as it is limited strictly to Moonlight Madness, and nothing more. I just don't want the breaking of the music theme to be used as leverage to do more out-of-theme shenanigans.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:36:55 PM by Ozark BBQ »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Regarding shows during MM, I would like to see them develop some just for the festival.  I'm not sure what they would be but I am sure there are some great possibilities out there.  Are there any shows now during MM, other than the regular Echo Hollow one?  Maybe they could have some late night concerts in the hollow that stay true to theme while appealing to those most likely to attend MM.  I realize it is a rides event but a few shows here and there would help with capacity issues.  Another big thing I would like to see is the park staying open later during MM.  One hour to ride in the dark is not enough...I think to some extent that's what hampered Celebration City.  Finally, if they are going to do MM, then do it up right.  Cut Kidsfest down (which they are doing somewhat next summer) and make MM a real festival and put real effort into it. Staff it properly, have things open and stay true to yourself.  If you do it right, people will come.  I still don't understand why SDC isn't open later during the entire summer anyway. 

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »
I know my opinion is unpopular, but I like MM.  If I'm going to the park during the summer, I like going in the evening.  I do wish the park would stay open later.  I am a night person anyway.  I know lines can be long at times, but they weren't always.  If a line was too long, we had the luxury of skipping it since we are able to visit regularly and know we can catch it another time, perhaps at Christmas time if the temperature holds.  I really liked strolling around the park as the park became darker.  During my 2nd trip to MM this year, we were in GE as closing time approached.  There were few people there at this time of night.  It was a great experience watching the kids ride the elephants and the teacups at night.

I also liked the dance party.  Most of the songs they play for the dance party have specific dances to them--YMCA, Chicken Dance, etc.  These are dances almost anyone can do, and I think they would difficult to do to modern country music.    The music really doesn't bother me for MM.  In fact, unless I make an effort to listen for it, I guess I tune it out.  I'm in my own world.  I do appreciate appropriate music during regular hours--bluegrass, etc.

My only real complaint was difficulty in exiting the park on two occasions.  Apparently, this wasn't always an issue during MM. 

You know, SDC has always been a part of my life.  I love SDC, and I've had all kinds of experiences there, including my wedding in the Wilderness Church.  While I don't want the park to stray too far from the theme, I don't mind the variances the park experiences from time to time.  There are some events in the park that I couldn't care less about, like Bluegrass and BBQ or Southern Gospel Picnic.  Perhaps they fit the theme better, but I have no interest in them.

I know I'm rambling on; my brain is tired, so I'll stop.   :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:56:18 PM »
Rambling is good for your health. ;)

I am absolutely supportive of the concept of Moonlight Madness. I hope my strong viewpoints here do not delude that overall sentiment. I think experiencing Silver Dollar City after dark is fun, and exciting. My only concern is the music. If they kept the atmosphere music to bluegrass, and changed only the ride stations to "party," or "dance" music, and only during Moonlight Madness, I think I can swallow that horse pill much easier. :)

The idea of Moonlight Madness is great! I just hope Silver Dollar City doesn't forget where it came from in the process. Moonlight Madness opens the door for Silver Dollar City to come up with all sorts creative attractions, and ideas, and yet still remain within the theme.

I think Silver Dollar City has kind of taken the cheesy approach by basically pumping the soundtrack from Celebration City into the speakers. I think Silver Dollar City should use this opportunity to work smart, and play hard. Silver Dollar City should come up with something that blends the theme, and the Ozark nightlife together, and create a real Moonlight Madness. :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:57:29 PM by Ozark BBQ »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »
I agree with everything StaceySue said. I enjoy seeing the park strive to pursue a completely immersive atmosphere when they do, but you have to cut them some slack sometimes. It's 2010 and they're doing what they need to do to stay in business. There are still plenty of opportunities to see the park at it's best in the Spring, Fall and especially at Christmas time.

I feel like sometime we get ahead of ourselves with our expectations of the place. It's not an expanded living history museum experience anymore.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
Like I said in another thread, I don't think most mind if they hadn't noticed a slip in the overall theme as of late.  I also don't think they are hurting economically either. 

Thinking outside of the box is great from time to time, as long as your boxless thinking isn't really just someone else's box. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:25:01 AM by Hatfield McCoy »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
Can I just say that I looove these threads?!  Great idea!

I also just wanted to make a color commentary on the emphasis of all that has been said so far.  I have two nieces (both of which just visited the City with me) and both of which love SDC.  They also buy every gimmicky thing they see inside JJ Fiddlesticks they see, but only because it's there...and fluorescent.

That being said, they are both gearing up to visit this one room schoolhouse in a week that prides itself on being VERY 1880's.  I think they are more excited about this than they are about their next SDC visit.  I'm just saying that both climates have their place, but I'm skeptical about decisions made based on trade magazines or erroneous feedback that I'm not 100% sure represents the current popular opinion.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm kinda confused as to why I'm on the e-mail list and signed up to receive surveys, and yet I've not been sent a survey link for several surveys now... So I don't think they're getting as much feedback as they could be.