Author Topic: Huck Finn's Tree Fort  (Read 54434 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Huck Finn's Tree Fort
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Hey, this shot of the treehouse from the side and back looks to have been shot when the stagecoach depot was still in operation...If I'm not mistaken, the depot was planted in what would now be about the middle of hill street prior to the FITH addition with the saloon. So I think this photo predates 1972.
Any shots of the stage depot and some of the stagecoaches? How about shots along the old stagecoach trail that wound through the side and back of SDC? And, since you are taking requests, any shots of the old BUTTERFIELD HOTEL along the stagecoach trail? The hotel was located across the tracks from FITH, and sat in part of the Wilson's Farm area. I think that when they added FITH and the Saloon and the book and tintype shop about 72 or 73, they moved the stage depot to it's present location. Of course, it has been converted into a restaurant, and does not look very much like the stage depot now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
which restaurant junior? i dont remeber the depot..  would like to look at the building and see if i can "go back".....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »
I cannot remember the name. There used to be a restaurant called "Fried Fancies." The old depot sat next to it on the lumbercamp side. You will have to ask Rube what the restaurant is called today. To me, it is somewhat of a shame to have it turned into a restaurant. The old building was a true hewn log structure on the lower floor. The upper floor was board and batten sided. At one point in the early 80's the upper floor was an office for one of the food department managers. Lower floor was closed off. A covered area on one side still contained one of the old stagecoaches that kids used to climb all over. That's all gone now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
"Getting slightly off subject here...but Rube...is the onion patch the old Stagecoach Depot? The roofline looks familiar."

Posted by Junior on April 19th,2010 in "Where in the city"

Is that the one you're talking about?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Indeed it is! (searching for the photo)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
Yeah...the Onion Patch...that's the old stage depot!!! :D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
The one place that I intended to check out, but forgot to during my last visit was the Onion Patch! Oh, well it will have to wait till next time I suppose. :)

Taking a look at the most recent picture submitted by Rube of the tree house, there appears to be a large gray fake rock formation at the bottom of the picture. Is that still in existence today? I sure don't recognize it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:42 AM »
onion patch? ok i will chekc it out.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:05 AM »
That large grey object was the "cave" you entered upon leaving the treehouse. It featured one room that was completely dark...an infinity room. White miniature Christmas lights were strung ceiling to floor, and the walls, ceiling and floor was covered in mirrors. Weird electronic blips and beeps, a "space type music" was pumped into the room. Walking through the Infinity room was like walking across the cosmos, it appeared as if you were floating or walking through outer space. Now, I'm a real stickler for theme, and that room, my friends, was never in theme. But somehow the infinity room fit in OK...I think that was because when originially built as Herman the Hermits Treetop House, it was filled with weird and wild inventions that Herman came up with, and they all worked. You had just come through a two story treehouse with unusual inventions, had walked down a staircase, and into a cave, but somehow, you had been taken to outer space! What can I say, it worked! Remember, when the treehouse was opened in 1968 or '69, it was the peak of space exploration...MAN HAD JUST LANDED ON THE MOON. In the early to mid 60s, SDC had a Western theme, as westerns were popular, as the decade passed, theme was altered to strictly an Ozark theme. But, as theme parks do, they ride the wave of pop culture, even at SDC, and that "Infinity Room" just fit the times. One of my jobs as Junior Dugan was to clean the treehouse each morning. The infinity room looked quite different with the work lights on. I actually preferred sweeping the walkway in the dark...not because I could get away with not doing a good job...but because I loved spending a few minutes in that weird, wacky room with all the effects in full force.

pintrader

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »
If I remember correctly you would exit the infinity room by just walking out.  At one time which I think was just predating this room, you would exit via a concrete slide.  The slide ended between the treehouse and what is the Christmas Hollow store now.  I would figure they took the slide out because of safety reasons.  The slide was enclosed and if you didn't watch out it could skin the old elbows up pretty good  :).

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
I am not familiar with the concrete slide you are talking about. As a child, my first visit to SDC was in 1970, and the treehouse was only a year or two old at that time. When my family exited the treehouse, we went through the infinity room. During my years on park, '78-'84, I never heard any employee mention a concrete slide to exit the treehouse. Maybe Zephon, Copper, or some of the other current citizens can investigate this issue, and report back here in a day or two.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »
I have seen a photo with a slide, I will have to look through all my things maybe I can find it.  I know that Slantin' Sam's had a slide exit.  Jack has told the story of them shining it up so much that when he went down it he flew through the air for a while.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
Hmmmm...I'd love to see any photos you have of Slantin' Sams or the alleged treehouse slide. I've only seen a couple of postcard shots of Slantin' Sams before it was upgraded to Grandfather's Mansion.

pintrader

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
I am guessing the slide at the treehouse was there the first couple of years.  It wasn't that long of a slide, probably 20 to 25 feet.  It might not have been totally concrete, but to the best of my memory it was.  The slide started at what was later the infinity room to the best of my knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:57:48 AM by Pintrader »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:24 PM »
hm mmmmm ???