Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337274 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #345 on: August 21, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
The topography is a huge issue. Hugo's hill is enough to make most visitors gripe, and the land on the other side of WF is much steeper and goes farther down. The caves and geography of the area make things difficult too. I've been hoping they would expand on the other side of the main square by the homestead, but it sounds like much of the land there is not suitable for building. I think there's an outlet of the cave buried somewhere in those woods that a rare species of bat uses.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »
The terrain around WF and PK definitely point to the issues they face with topography. I hope the fact that they were able to make both of those rides work in those locations is indicative of their willingness to continue expanding in that direction. As far as coasters are concerned, I think hilly terrain also provides a unique opportunity to utilize what nature gave us to accentuate the ride itself. No doubt it poses some construction challenges, but they proved those could be overcome with WE, PK and even TNT.

What if a new area of the park was developed below and beyond WF and/or PK with some sort of uniquely themed lift/transport system to access that area of the park without having to scale steep hills?

Pipe dream? Maybe...Maybe not.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »
Over the years they have done innovative things as they have added to the park. I have faith they will still use their imaginations as growth continues.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
some sort of uniquely themed lift/transport system to access that area of the park without having to scale steep hills
I am gonna call in the citizen son this point.
I believe I was told that this was something they were thinking about at one time.
Some sort or people moving " contraption" I am not sure if I saw this is a survey or was told about it from a friend who was in management a few years back.
any info on this idea out there?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 21, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
It seems like it was discussed on SDCFans.com somewhere...I don't know if it was "official" or some chatter someone on the Website here came up with, but it did sound interesting. Might try looking on threads that have something to do with "lost" concepts.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »
That's cool to know it's either already been brought up here and/or at HFEC. Whether it meandered through the beautiful wooded Ozark terrain, whisked guests above the trees for a birds eye view between sections of the park, or offered a connection via some sort of themed tunnel, I think a well done people moving system could be a very cool addition in its own right. But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

It's probably safe to say an entire new section of the park won't become a reality at once. If it happens at all, I envision a new area evolving around a new major ride/attraction.

In true SDC fashion, I think the major additions to the park this decade (WF, PK, TGS, GE & RB) have all been done with impeccable attention to detail so I too am confident that whatever major addition comes next will not disappoint.

Just wish we had an inkling what the heck it's going to be, where it's going and when we can expect to start enjoying it.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
Well i am getting ready to head out to the "city" today with the family. Im gonna take lots of photos around the old WB area and maybe we will be able to fig out if they are doing anything there and if so what??
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

pintrader

« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
We went yesterday and it sure didn't look like anything at all was going on in that area.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #353 on: August 22, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »
We went yesterday and it sure didn't look like anything at all was going on in that area.

Perhaps they are saving most of their construction, and excitement for the off season months? Such a shame too. Don't they realize that we are passionate about this place, and want to watch when something new gets built?  ;)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 22, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »
Our luck we are all getting worked up and excited and then they will do nothing this off season.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #355 on: August 22, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
I'm sure there will be something added for 2011. Most years construction on any new additions won't start till later in the fall. Heck, I seem to recall it taking until November for major ground work to be visible for TGS, and that was  big attraction. Since most additions are largely pre-fabricated, they usually don't take but a few months to set up.

Still though, any time now something will start happening. By September or October we'll have a pretty good idea of what's most likely going on and where, even if the announcement isn't made until November.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:25 PM »
We have a scheduled trip to the city the first week of October. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos. Of course, let's hope there's already been an announcement well in advance so we have something confirmed to talk about and look forward to.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
Well we just back from sdc and I noticed while riding the train that there are orange marker flags in the woods where WB used to be.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #358 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Well we just back from sdc and I noticed while riding the train that there are orange marker flags in the woods where WB used to be.

Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!  ;D

Sorry, I know that they are just marker flags, but they are the start of things to come!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
I just got back as well but didnt see any flag, we didnt however ride the train.
Excitement....