Author Topic: Any Pumpkin Nights / Christmas News?  (Read 9867 times)

pintrader

Re: Any Pumpkin Nights / Christmas News?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 08:27:34 PM »
I am a little surprised that SDC is closed every Monday and Tuesday until Dec 21.  This seems like a golden opportunity to make up for some of the  revenue from missed days this year.  Of course they know a lot more than I do about the attendance and employee situation for adding extra days.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 09:47:11 PM »
I am a little surprised that SDC is closed every Monday and Tuesday until Dec 21.  This seems like a golden opportunity to make up for some of the  revenue from missed days this year.  Of course they know a lot more than I do about the attendance and employee situation for adding extra days.

Wednesday and Thursday are pretty slow all fall-Christmas, adding 2 more days would mean staffing issues. Right now all staff can work all 5 days they are open for 8 hours and not hit overtime, if they are open 7 days a week then you have to stagger days off for everyone. They seem to already be having an issue with staffing, that would just make it worse.

pintrader

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 09:29:57 AM »

Wednesday and Thursday are pretty slow all fall-Christmas, adding 2 more days would mean staffing issues. Right now all staff can work all 5 days they are open for 8 hours and not hit overtime, if they are open 7 days a week then you have to stagger days off for everyone. They seem to already be having an issue with staffing, that would just make it worse.

Your right they are fairly slow on weekdays during a NORMAL year because they can pack 20,000 to 25,000 on any given day, especially weekends.   They still have in place max attendance of around 10,000 last I heard. 

Could be a staffing problem but without indoor shows it should open up extra staff especially around the Christmas festival.  These are different festivals but they just came off Moonlight Madness where they were running 7 days a week, so not like it is a whole new situation for them.

No one has posted about attendance on here lately, so not sure what numbers they are hitting.  I am sure they are down quite a bit so maybe everyone is pretty much getting into the park that wants to without adding extra days.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:18:44 PM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 06:47:01 PM »
According to the SDC twitter feed they've been extremely busy the last 2 Saturdays. Last Saturday they posted they were at capacity and that was 20 minutes after opening!  With cool dry weather predicted for this weekend I'm sure tomorrow will be very busy as well.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
So apparently from last weekends storms Wildfire received quite a bit of damage to the station, the water tower, and to the observation platform as well, according to a ride op its been caution-taped off. Repairs should be done by this weekend or next week.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:54:37 PM by sdcfan88 »

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »
Was there on Saturday the 21st, and Wildfire was running fine. Didn't notice any damage but then again I wasn't looking for it haha

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
we were there yesterday and last night (Sunday) and didn't notice any Wildfire damage but I wasn't looking for any.  What I did notice was a handful of people who don't know that the nose is a part of the respiratory system and people who couldn't figure out Silver Dollar City's well-thought out social distancing set-up for viewing the parade.  Even without Covid, I appreciate and observe a phenomena known as 'personal space'.  Evidently, I'm in the minority.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
we were there yesterday and last night (Sunday) and didn't notice any Wildfire damage but I wasn't looking for any.  What I did notice was a handful of people who don't know that the nose is a part of the respiratory system and people who couldn't figure out Silver Dollar City's well-thought out social distancing set-up for viewing the parade.  Even without Covid, I appreciate and observe a phenomena known as 'personal space'.  Evidently, I'm in the minority.

The ONLY thing I like about all this is the distancing.  When we were there the opening day of OTC I noticed the blocked off spots along the parade route.  The wife and I were looking at these and laughing about how nobody will follow them.  Right about then a worker was walking by and commented all they can do is mark the spots and hope people follow them.  That night when we were watching the parade right by the train depot area, we were in our spot and toward the end of course a big group of people walked up and thought the needed to stand right on top of us in the spot next to ours that was x'ed off.  Whatever.