Author Topic: Any Pumpkin Nights / Christmas News?  (Read 9864 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Any Pumpkin Nights / Christmas News?
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
I have seen very little on line from SDC this year.   I was wondering about Pumpkin nights and Christmas.  Have they made any information available or hinted at what the offerings will be?  Are the shows gone ? I assume they will try to provide some consolation for what will not be possible do to current c-19 precautions / fears. Has information been released and I have not seen it?

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Any Pumpkin Nights / Christmas News?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 06:33:26 PM »
What I read on the website made it seem as though there would not be any indoor shows this fall or for Christmas.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »
I suspect they will try to make up for this great loss by offering something new.  I am not sure what that could be with the following the shows at Christmas had.  Maybe the street dance at PN will keep them coming in.  I am interested in what the offerings for Christmas will be. If we have a cold winter the loss of the shows will be a killer.  Might be a good time to do a food festival. Winter is a good time to eat!

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 03:12:46 PM »
I would say they are pretty limited at this point on ways to recoup for this year.  Their best festivals are coming up but with no shows and possibly no Christmas parade, and I presume a limit on how many they will allow into the park....just doesn't look too good.   I thought possibly they would be open more days between now and the end of the year but their schedule doesn't show that at this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:43:48 AM by Pintrader »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »
I was on FB this morning and a employee stated they would be holding a new show in the
"plaza" old employee parking lot they are using for Pumpkin nights.  She had mentioned there would be a stage and seating I assume they will be installing a tree there in that area that looked suspiciously like it was fashioned for that last season.  Possibly the old tree?  It almost seemed like the new tree was overwhelming on the square, I wonder if they would move it down there and create more of a "show".  It seems like less obstacles to creating a light show down there as opposed to the square with trees and unmovable structures in the way.  Interesting to ponder

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »
Pumpkin Nights is coming back bigger and better than ever according to the park's social media. We know that the square area that was built last year was just the beginning, and there were obvious signs that they would continue adding onto this festival. As of this weekend, many pumpkins are already in place throughout the park and along the trail.

As for Christmas, I've heard that the usual big shows are cancelled. I'm sure there will be some stuff going on in the open air theaters. Will be a zoo trying to figure out the reservation system... can you even imagine? They should announce that Christmas will go through January this year so everyone gets a chance to see the lights at least.

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »
Pumpkin Nights has great potential and I would expect them to expand some, but this year looks like they will be hampered in that expansion (attendance).   It would be counterproductive to expand too much with limited guests allowed in.

The Christmas reservation system is going to be interesting to say the least.  I would think they would try to snub the season pass holder since they already have received that money.  Let's face it season pass holder is old money and wouldn't be like the vacationers and people that just come to the park once a year for this event.   It's also possible attendance is knocked down enough this year with everything going on that it won't be a big problem and few would be turned away.

Taking it into January might work but not sure how many people will have the Christmas spirit in the middle of January.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
The Christmas reservation system is going to be interesting to say the least.

I am not placing my money on crowds this year.  Not because of Cvd but the lack of shows and inside activities.  If weather is cross the rides will not operate and without the shows there is not a whole lot left.  They have reduced the shopping in the city over the past years.  The other parks are having issues with sparse crowds.  It seems that even if people are willing to wear a mask to be safe they are not willing to do this as often.  In other words the number of trips has reduced.  I will be watching for the craft offerings during PN, on one hand booths outside can be something that is safe but with the lack of crowds is it profitable for the crafters?  It will be an interesting fall/winter season.  I really don't envy SDC challenges this season.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »
Went this last weekend on Sunday, crowds were a little bigger than I experienced in August but still not very large. I didn't go last year but I was a little underwhelmed by the pumpkin path, however the GE and pathway was done very nicely. I absolutely loved the chicken cashew waffle. They need to add this as a staple in the park.

The plaza area was filled with many people and dancers - but not packed. It was about to rain, so I think a lot of people were headed out to avoid the rain.

Overall, had a great time and we're looking forward to going back at Christmas.

Jay

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »
Are they still limiting attendance numbers each day?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
I know I did get a message saying this weekend "come after 5"  On Screamscape they reported Dollywood hit max two times both Thursday and Friday, I assume Saturday as well but no reports yet.  On a side note Disney just greatly increased the hours for the upcoming months after  dialing them way back just recently.  Maybe people are getting tired of C-19 and the fear being petaled.  ( Dont wish to start a convo about C-19)  but at some point people will begin to venture out and we may be seeing that time at the parks

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 06:19:10 PM »
I think this weekend as SDC was less about people getting tired of it as it was the temperatures were mid to high 80's all weekend. In October. And a weekend. So everyone decided to go rather than like this coming weekend where it is supposed to to be high 60's and windy

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »
You may be on to something but was the weather like this in Pigeon Forge as well?  Time will tell.  We may be seeing the public become restless enough ( softening or whatever reason) that they are starting to get out more.  After a spring and summer that slipped by maybe folks are trying to take advantage of some nice weather before winter sets in.  I will be watching the crowd levels at SDC and the other parks to see if this is a trend.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »
I know I did get a message saying this weekend "come after 5"  On Screamscape they reported Dollywood hit max two times both Thursday and Friday, I assume Saturday as well but no reports yet.  On a side note Disney just greatly increased the hours for the upcoming months after  dialing them way back just recently.  Maybe people are getting tired of C-19 and the fear being petaled.  ( Dont wish to start a convo about C-19)  but at some point people will begin to venture out and we may be seeing that time at the parks

I just returned from Yellowstone, comment overheard by a store clerk, "It's as busy as July." So much for shoulder season,lol. Still had a blast.

We should have Swedened it from the get go but that is where we are headed

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:36:05 PM »
It was also Columbus Day weekend, which certainly wouldn't have helped the crowd levels.