Author Topic: someone needs to call the plumber because the plunger is broken  (Read 6093 times)

trainrobber

• View Profile
You enter the park. It's a blistering hot sunny day in the Ozarks. The smell of funnel cake is enticing. You see a sign. Quite an impressive sign, in fact. Big and grand and painted bright red white and blue. The American Plunge. You wait in line for half an hour to board. You settle awkwardly snug inside the little old boat and off you go! The excitement doesn't last long, however, as you sit in a dark tunnel, looking at literally nothing but glowing exit signs, for just long enough to be a little uncomfortable and dare I say... bored. At long last, you see the literal light at the end of the tunnel. Woo hoo! A tinkle of water greets you as you enter daylight. Looking around, the antiquated props have lost more than just their charm. Despite his best efforts, it appears the dog never did save that man from drowning as his head has literally been missing for years. Surely someone would have fixed that by now? As your little old boat climbs higher and higher into the sky, you start to wonder what other missing parts the park has neglected to repair on this ride. Gulp!

Seriously. It's old and dilapidated, ugly and boring. Only a shadow of its former glory. The park has neglected this summer classic for far too long. Somebody call in the Fab Five and give this ride a makeover. MTV please pimp this ride.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: someone needs to call the plumber because the plunger is broken
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
You enter the park. It's a blistering hot sunny day in the Ozarks. The smell of funnel cake is enticing. You see a sign. Quite an impressive sign, in fact. Big and grand and painted bright red white and blue. The American Plunge. You wait in line for half an hour to board. You settle awkwardly snug inside the little old boat and off you go! The excitement doesn't last long, however, as you sit in a dark tunnel, looking at literally nothing but glowing exit signs, for just long enough to be a little uncomfortable and dare I say... bored. At long last, you see the literal light at the end of the tunnel. Woo hoo! A tinkle of water greets you as you enter daylight. Looking around, the antiquated props have lost more than just their charm. Despite his best efforts, it appears the dog never did save that man from drowning as his head has literally been missing for years. Surely someone would have fixed that by now? As your little old boat climbs higher and higher into the sky, you start to wonder what other missing parts the park has neglected to repair on this ride. Gulp!

Seriously. It's old and dilapidated, ugly and boring. Only a shadow of its former glory. The park has neglected this summer classic for far too long. Somebody call in the Fab Five and give this ride a makeover. MTV please pimp this ride.

The goal may be to cause people to lose interest in it so much that they beg for it to be replaced.  It is definitely an embarrassment.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
The loss of the original tunnel has been complained about ad-nauseum around here. It was sad, but at this point it happened ~15 years ago and the ride is still chugging along. Considering that both FITH and FM are apparently on the chopping block for replacements, and the current fiasco is going to slow things down for a couple years at least, it could be 8-10 years before they replace AP even if it is on their list to replace.

For now, at least the kids like it. It's still a fun splashdown, and I do like the classic log flume feel.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
The loss of the original tunnel has been complained about ad-nauseum around here. It was sad, but at this point it happened ~15 years ago and the ride is still chugging along. Considering that both FITH and FM are apparently on the chopping block for replacements, and the current fiasco is going to slow things down for a couple years at least, it could be 8-10 years before they replace AP even if it is on their list to replace.

For now, at least the kids like it. It's still a fun splashdown, and I do like the classic log flume feel.

It is a classic ride, the logs themselves, the downhill slide, the Classic splash on the bridge..

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
Yeah I still think an AP replacement should come before FM or FITH. Though as some speculated MRF could be that replacement killing two birds with one stone.

pintrader

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »

It is a classic ride, the logs themselves, the downhill slide, the Classic splash on the bridge..

LoL.....I know your talking about the all around classic feel of the ride, but those boats are sometimes murder.  I have rode this probably a couple of hundred times over the years in all types of conditions and capacity.  It's always a pretty good ride when you can spread out with leg room, but a full boat gets a little uncomfortable. 

I don't care much for that feeling of someone sitting right on your lap with your legs pinned to the side of the boat either.  That 2 minute ride seems to turn into 30 minutes.

Yeah, let's talk about that fun splashdown when someone in front of you jerks their head back into your chest or face (ouch).  I will admit it's usually a younger person that likes to jerk their head back, but not always.  I have learned to watch for this over time.

It is a good classic ride thou with mostly good memories  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »

I don't care much for that feeling of someone sitting right on your lap with your legs pinned to the side of the boat either.  That 2 minute ride seems to turn into 30 minutes.

LOL!!!
Just out of curiosity.....     

Are we still talking about the American Plunge?? :o :o

pintrader

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 04:48:49 PM »

LOL!!!
Just out of curiosity.....     

Are we still talking about the American Plunge?? :o :o

I was definitely took out of context   ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
I submit this as a possibility for an American Plunge replacement.  It’s almost like if BuzzSaw Falls and PowderKeg has a child. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=b-uWWmLwzyc
SWOOSH

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 02:53:31 PM »
Not sure if I am digging the water roller coaster deal. I was not a fan of Buzzsaw Falls either. I would hope that if anything were to happen they would update this ride either by replacing it with something like but greater or taking it out entirely. No more roller coasters! I know I wont see the last of roller coaster building but yall, I am personally over it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 06:06:00 PM »
Not sure if I am digging the water roller coaster deal. I was not a fan of Buzzsaw Falls either. I would hope that if anything were to happen they would update this ride either by replacing it with something like but greater or taking it out entirely. No more roller coasters! I know I wont see the last of roller coaster building but yall, I am personally over it.

It obviously wont happen for a while now anyway...  I am sure a coaster will go into that spot, just line them up on the west side of the park..

I for 1 always like Buzzsaw Falls.. 

Time for a Corona.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »

When you get down to it, is it really that different than most new age flumes?  The only difference is the launches which is something marketable (and we know how SDC loves to have “firsts” to market)

It obviously wont happen for a while now anyway...  I am sure a coaster will go into that spot, just line them up on the west side of the park.

We have the FITH replacement on deck.   We’ll see if it gets bumped back a year but I foresee them spreading the cost over two years again
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:54 PM »

It obviously wont happen for a while now anyway...  I am sure a coaster will go into that spot, just line them up on the west side of the park..

I for 1 always like Buzzsaw Falls.. 

Time for a Corona.

I know it had it's share of jokes: "Buzzsaw falls down" or "buzz faux pas"  but I also loved Buzzsaw Falls.  I thought the design and theme was great- too bad it had so many issues. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 10:29:05 PM »
If you look at the boats in the video I linked they really look like the next generation of BSF boats
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
No thank you. I would just prefer a nice highly themed log flume. Compete with splash mountain and leave the coaster part out of it.