Author Topic: SDC postpones opening!!  (Read 24383 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC postpones opening!!
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »
That is unfortunate. May is my favorite time to be at the park.
EDIT: So much for the MRF opening/media day that was supposed to be set around that time.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 11:38:38 PM »
I guess I picked the right year to skip the season pass.

I'm back BTW (again)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »
If they extended midnight sadness through the whole season, employees would die, unless there is a whole lot more of them than normal. Those two weeks made for some very long days.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
^ they'd have to hold it to weekends- which is pretty much what they do for Pumpkin Nights anyway
I'm Your Huckleberry

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2020, 12:19:55 PM »
Here is a thought, probs crazy, but if and when this beautiful place opens again........I (IMHO) feel the crowds will be full on week of Christmas levels for a good portion of the time. I think I am going to scrap any plans to visit this year and try again 2021.

pintrader

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2020, 01:30:21 PM »
The way things are looking it's not really that hard to imagine SDC not opening at all this year, or at least not until late in the year.  They just would not be considered as essential, and with the large accumulation of people in close proximity is not favorable. 

If they can open say in 2 or 3 months and people feel safe, then I would expect crowds to be much larger than usual.  But that being said there will still be a large number of people that will still be cautious and not want to be in close quarters with a lot of people.

I still think if they can open this year they would have a lot of days with extended hours, and even extend the days they are open to possibly 6 or 7 days a week when they are usually cutting days down (say August).  Over the years the main complaint I heard by employees was not getting enough hours in, not too many.  A simple solution to that is just hire more people.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:47:18 PM by Pintrader »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »
Not to put more pressure on SDC... but WOF just made their 2020 passes good through the end of 2021 (including add-one like dining, drink and FastLane). 
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2020, 05:56:58 PM »
Not to put more pressure on SDC... but WOF just made their 2020 passes good through the end of 2021 (including add-one like dining, drink and FastLane).

And that is exactly what SDC needs to do.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2020, 06:32:36 PM »
This feels like the thing to do but boy will that HURT financially. Think of all that income lost to 2021 if SPs become usable in 2021 as well. I dont think there is a right answer in any of this anyways.  :-[ :-\ :o

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
This feels like the thing to do but boy will that HURT financially. Think of all that income lost to 2021 if SPs become usable in 2021 as well. I dont think there is a right answer in any of this anyways.  :-[ :-\ :o

There’s two schools of thought here.

1. Lost income from SP sales
2. Amazing PR which will generate guaranteed return visitors over two years
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »

There’s two schools of thought here.

1. Lost income from SP sales
2. Amazing PR which will generate guaranteed return visitors over two years

Agreed with both points. There is always a chance it could go either way, but I think SP sales aren't necessarily the entire bulk of their income but it does make an impact. What is important is getting people to actually come out to the park. They still have plenty of non season ticket sales from people walking on to purchase tickets the day of. You also have to take into account all the purchases that guests make in the park itself (food, souvenirs, drink cups, wheelchairs/carts, trailblazers and then they have lodging/sales at the attached properties such as the campground, White Water, and the Branson Belle which I am sure they will promote hard to encourage people to do alongside SDC.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:30:08 PM by sdcfan88 »

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »

I sure hope SDC does this.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 04:54:57 PM »
I posted this on another page earlier today.....

""""
I would just like this "virus" to be over!!

Get the park open, get the rest of the world open.!

Some of us dont expect a thing, just want the park open,
others want/expect a whole load of freebies and bonuses for some reason?.

Bottom line, relax, wait, SDC and the PTB will take care of the SP holders, and I expect to see them run "daily specials" to get the general public to attend also.

The money is NOT in the SP, but people in the gate, inside the park buying drinks, concessions, trinkets, crafts,souvenirs and the other goodies that the tourists buy.
""""

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »
The way they are describing the move as going into "hibernation mode" doesn't sound very promising.  Sounds like they are expecting a fairly long wait.