Author Topic: Six Flags in a bid to merge with Cedar Fair  (Read 10563 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Six Flags in a bid to merge with Cedar Fair
« on: October 02, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »
A story is being reported that Six Flags Entertainment Corp. has approached Cedar Fair LP. with a merger offer, pursuing a combination that would unite two of the largest U.S. amusement park operators. The move shows how Six Flags, already the world’s largest regional theme park operator, wants to expand its footprint so it can increase ticketing pricing power, even as Chief Executive James Reid-Anderson is preparing to retire by the end of February.

While SDC and related properties obviously won't be affected, this to me sounds like terrible news for the general consumer and for theme park enthusiasts. For selfish reasons I'd rather have Hershend buy all or part of Cedar Fair's assets.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cedar-fair-m-a-sixflags-exclusive/exclusive-six-flags-in-bid-to-acquire-cedar-fair-sources-idUSKBN1WH1ZA

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Six Flags in a bid to merge with Cedar Fair
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
Yeah, it's hard to wrap me head around this one. Enthusiasts aren't good at truly understanding the business side of things. These are huge publicly traded companies, and the motivations for these kinds of M&A offers are often pretty complex. The people at the top are almost always out for a quick buck so they can move on and do their next thing.

Obviously few park enthusiasts want to see this happen. The benefits from having more parks on a single membership plan are probably outweighed by the massive loss of competition among the industry, leading to fewer and less interesting major new rides. No reason to build big expensive B&M hypers when you are only competing with yourself. SF is already playing it pretty tight with their pocketbook when it comes to new rides. The bottom line is all they care about.

Many have speculated that this is only an opening offer that may lead to a different final deal however. Perhaps CF will sell off some of their smaller properties. SF seems hungry to gobble up whatever they can get to spread their footprint again. They are even talking about building FEC's around the country.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
Glad thats over. It died a quick death. The offer was rejected.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »
Glad thats over. It died a quick death. The offer was rejected.

We hope it's over, but don't count it out yet.  It's very possible that was just an initial salvo in a line of negotiations.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:54:22 PM »
I remember when Premier parks was going to purchase SFOT, but then that fell through....

A few weeks later, it's announced they were purchasing the whole SF chain.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. They'll come back eventually with another offer more than likely.

I'd like for them to just scoop up a couple of the smaller parks and be happy with that. Leave the good CF parks alone!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. They'll come back eventually with another offer more than likely.

I'd like for them to just scoop up a couple of the smaller parks and be happy with that. Leave the good CF parks alone!

The actual business sites that would know have stated that SF will NOT be making another additional offer.
And shame on you for wanting the smaller CF parks to be picked up by SF. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
The actual business sites that would know have stated that SF will NOT be making another additional offer.

Shame on him?  Might actually be better for some of those parks the way CF has ignored them.  Worlds of Fun, Michigan Adventures and a couple of the others could really use some love.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

Shame on him?  Might actually be better for some of those parks the way CF has ignored them.  Worlds of Fun, Michigan Adventures and a couple of the others could really use some love.

Yeah no.  WOF hasn’t been ignored.  Please don’t speak on a topic you have little to no knowledge on.  WOF to SF would be a death blow to the park.   
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
^If WOF were to be sold off from Cedar Fair I would definitely rather have Hershend buy it over Six Flags.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:33:24 AM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »

Yeah no.  WOF hasn’t been ignored.  Please don’t speak on a topic you have little to no knowledge on.  WOF to SF would be a death blow to the park.   

Ok Oh great know it all who's knowledge far surpasses all others, what improvements has WoF made in the last several years outside of a few flats that rarely open?

This year was a retheme of a restuarant and a pitiful attempt at a festival with a few booths and a small parade.
2018- one small flat and a replacement of a helix on Timber Wolf, which half fixed the ride.
2017- 2 flats- an old recycled troika and an old recycled Condor that rarely runs and was down most of 2017 and 2018
2016- a few kiddie rides
2015- nothing
2014- Windseeker, ok, a decent addition this year
2013- nothing (joining the 2 parks together is not an addition)
2012- nothing- oh, except adding Fast Lane
2011- Planet Snoopy- adding a kids area and a carousel.  Not bad.
2010- "Hot Summer Lights" and a Subway sandwich shop.  whoopee

Really, a couple of moderate additions in the Windseeker and Planet Snoopy.  But otherwise their last major addition was 10 years ago in Prowler.

Sure that's more than Michigan's Adventure.  But not by much.  and on a par with what Six Flags St. Louis has added.  And compared to many parks, it's pretty pitiful.  And don't get me started on the constant issues the last 3 years with basic things like air conditioning in stores and restaurants, fans and cooling systems in queues, some of the just plain ugly looking areas in the water park and other issues.  Oh, and killing their one and only steam engine leaving them with no train ride.

But sure.  Rather than actually contribute to the conversation or do something that might refute me, you just keep responding with rude, dismissive and insulting comments.  Very fitting and typical of you Swoosh.  Maybe one of these years you'll grow up and act like an adult, but I keep waiting...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »
Ok Oh great know it all who's knowledge far surpasses all others, what improvements has WoF made in the last several years outside of a few flats that............................

Rather than actually contribute to the conversation or do something that might refute me, you just keep responding with rude, dismissive and insulting comments.  Very fitting and typical of you Swoosh.  Maybe one of these years you'll grow up and act like an adult, but I keep waiting...

There is a whole lot of truth here and I have a whole lot of respect for you for sticking up for yourself.  This has been going on way too long.  One thing I completely get is why Swoosh site has no feedback or forums.   You dont have to be a genius to know people dont like to be treated badly and spoken to like they are less than, not intelligent and their opinion does not count.  This is a friendly online community not a place where bullies should find refuge. 

Much respect Sir Willow, I will indulge in your You Tube Disneyland trip tonight if its posted.  Class response!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:37:07 PM by mhguy77 »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »

Ok Oh great know it all who's knowledge far surpasses all others, what improvements has WoF made in the last several years outside of a few flats that rarely open?

This year was a retheme of a restuarant and a pitiful attempt at a festival with a few booths and a small parade.
2018- one small flat and a replacement of a helix on Timber Wolf, which half fixed the ride.
2017- 2 flats- an old recycled troika and an old recycled Condor that rarely runs and was down most of 2017 and 2018
2016- a few kiddie rides
2015- nothing

Plus the new entrance and addition of Winterfest in 2017 and Dinosaurs Alive in 2013. Also new slides in 2013 and a new kids water park area in 2015. Also, I would say joining the two parks together was a big deal. They added new slides in the process and I’m sure both parks saw an increase in attendance since they only had to pay for one ticket.

I don’t think the park would be any better off today if Six Flags had owned the park over the last 10 years. With Six Flags St. Louis being so close also, decreased competition likely would cause both parks to not add as much.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna say... The redo of the entrance of WoF was a HUUUUUGE update for that park. And since then, they've been adding little landscaping embellishments and what-not. And the restaurant this year is not a "re-theme" - it's an all new restaurant built from the bottom up. Not every year has to be a "ride year", just like SDC and Dollywood don't always have a "ride year".

Personally, I think WoF is best owned by Cedar Fair. Having Six Flags (or Herschend) buy it would, as Tmboote pointed out, result in a lessening of competition in Missouri, and I don't think that would help any of our three parks. I think things are fine just as they are.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 08:39:55 PM »

2016- a few kiddie rides
2015- nothing

Really, a couple of moderate additions in the Windseeker and Planet Snoopy.  But otherwise their last major addition was 10 years ago in Prowler.

Sure that's more than Michigan's Adventure.  But not by much.  and on a par with what Six Flags St. Louis has added.  And compared to many parks, it's pretty pitiful.  And don't get me started on the constant issues the last 3 years with basic things like air conditioning in stores and restaurants, fans and cooling systems in queues, some of the just plain ugly looking areas in the water park and other issues.  Oh, and killing their one and only steam engine leaving them with no train ride.

But sure.  Rather than actually contribute to the conversation or do something that might refute me, you just keep responding with rude, dismissive and insulting comments.  Very fitting and typical of you Swoosh.  Maybe one of these years you'll grow up and act like an adult, but I keep waiting...

Just go here.  This has the basic things that the General Public would see
http://www.worldsoffun.org/timeline.html

There’s more that’s happening/happened in BOH but I’ll spare you those boring details. Mainly they’ve been beefing up infrastructure for several years now. 

In addition, Eli (our train engine) is being completely rebuilt with a new boiler.  The park has bought a second engine which they’ve named Levi and he’ll debut next Spring.

I’m sorry you felt the need to resort to name calling.  I honestly felt it was uncalled for and added nothing to the conversation.  However, besides Jennifer and Jeff Mast, who run the unofficial WOF site, there aren’t too many others out there besides myself that know WOF history like we do and you’ll have to forgive us for how aggressively we’ll defend our home park when we feel its honor is threatened like you what did in your OP.

SWOOSH