Author Topic: Question about Powder Keg  (Read 3221 times)

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Question about Powder Keg
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
So I was watching a video about someone’s trip to SDC (specifically this https://youtu.be/Rnm956g2Gzg)

I was scrolling through the comments and saw one of the comments was about the broken track part of Powder Keg, and it said as follows

“The backwards track section on Powder Keg is there because the coaster doesn’t have any brake fins on the launch, so if a rollback on the top hat occurs, the train will roll back onto that section of track, until it eventually valleys. It is there simply for safety reasons :)

Is this true?? I’ve never heard anything about this before

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Question about Powder Keg
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »
It is for a potential roll-back.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

JustGoHogs

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »
are you sure they're not referring to what looks like a section of broken track near the entrance to the ride?  it's there for display and effect.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »
While it’s there for a potential rollback, there are definitely brakes on the switch track also, though I don’t know if they would do anything if there was a rollback. Does anyone know if there’s actually ever been a rollback?

msu24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:42:51 AM »
The section of track that  moves you up to the launch is also meant for rollbacks. If the coaster does happen to roll back it will go back though the launch track and onto the price of “broken” track. This is so if there was a rollback the train wouldn’t go back into the station.