Author Topic: 2018 Branson Attendance.  (Read 6119 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
2018 Branson Attendance.
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »
http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_621346a0-4753-11e9-9b51-cb308e66c8a5.html

Saw this on another site.   Interesting numbers.. 

SDC is the 2 main reason for people coming to town.

Here was my response.:
Perfect example of why the Shows and Venues in town need to improve yearly, and be supported by the city government. I was surprised to see that visitors avereage 3.4 shows per visit.. Another solid number.

SDC number came in 2nd, great number for them. Probably IF they had not had the new Time Traveler their number would not have been quite as high. I find it interesting they are a strong 2nd..

I would like to know where "attractions" such as the go-carts, mine golf, shot towers and the ferris wheel came in on the poll...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Branson Attendance.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
DC is the 2 main reason for people coming to town.

Here was my response.:
Perfect example of why the Shows and Venues in town need to improve yearly, and be supported by the city government. I was surprised to see that visitors avereage 3.4 shows per visit.. Another solid number.

I would like to know WHO they are asking and where they are asking them.  If SDC has 12000 on a median day.  They are second behind shows, but there are not 10000 seats in theaters in Branson that are filled daily.  I think they are wanting to assist the theaters with these numbers.  Lots of theaters 20% full.  How are they getting a larger response than the big buy pulling in 10000?  The numbers dont add up to me.  Not reflecting on show quality in any way but lots of shows struggle in todays changing environment.  Am I off base for questioning this or does this make sense?  Nut-shelling, do you think more people are seeing shows than going to SDC on a daily bases?  I think in the 80's 90's but lots of theaters have closed.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:36:17 PM »

Here was my response.:

I would like to know WHO they are asking and where they are asking them.  If SDC has 12000 on a median day.  They are second behind shows, but there are not 10000 seats in theaters in Branson that are filled daily.  I think they are wanting to assist the theaters with these numbers.

Because a large percentage of visitors to SDC aren't "visitors" to Branson.  Many are locals from within an hour or two driving who may not even drive through Branson on the way to the park, let alone actually visit.  So they wouldn't be counted as Branson visitors in that case.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:42:17 PM »
That’s the case with our family.  We rarely go into town.  We take the Highroad out to the park and back. 
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
I would think the same as you all regarding the shows. Not doing any high level research just a quick count on a ticket sale site. There are about 30 theaters in Branson with each doing 3 to 4 shows daily - everything from pets, tributes, country, etc. -  now if they averaged only 100 people in attendance at each show you would get a number that was quite a bit more than I expected:

30 Theaters
4 shows
100 people
265 days (not counting 100 days for January, February, March)

= 3,180,000 tickets

And we know some shows get quite a bit more than 100 people, some quite a few less, etc. But Dolly's Stampede, Sight and Sound, etc. get a lot more than 100 people to their multiple shows.

I personally have only seen two shows in the 41 years of going to Branson, so these numbers don't apply to me either.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
I would think the same as you all regarding the shows. Not doing any high level research just a quick count on a ticket sale site. There are about 30 theaters in Branson with each doing 3 to 4 shows daily - everything from pets, tributes, country, etc. -  now if they averaged only 100 people in attendance at each show you would get a number that was quite a bit more than I expected:

30 Theaters
4 shows
100 people
265 days (not counting 100 days for January, February, March)

= 3,180,000 tickets

And we know some shows get quite a bit more than 100 people, some quite a few less, etc. But Dolly's Stampede, Sight and Sound, etc. get a lot more than 100 people to their multiple shows.

I personally have only seen two shows in the 41 years of going to Branson, so these numbers don't apply to me either.

Jay

Good math, numbers all look right..    That doesnt allow for the several shows, i would guess 20-30 shows that average 500 people or more.

Lots of tickets..!!    LOL

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:57:50 AM »
Because a large percentage of visitors to SDC aren't "visitors" to Branson.  Many are locals from within an hour or two driving who may not even drive through Branson on the way to the park, let alone actually visit.  So they wouldn't be counted as Branson visitors in that case.

Exactly the point.  We are all aware you can greatly affect the outcome of a poll if you control (who, Where and when) they are asked.  I guess the theater numbers are more than you would think it first blush.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »

Here was my response.:

I would like to know WHO they are asking and where they are asking them.  If SDC has 12000 on a median day.  They are second behind shows, but there are not 10000 seats in theaters in Branson that are filled daily.  I think they are wanting to assist the theaters with these numbers.  Lots of theaters 20% full.  How are they getting a larger response than the big buy pulling in 10000?  The numbers dont add up to me.  Not reflecting on show quality in any way but lots of shows struggle in todays changing environment.  Am I off base for questioning this or does this make sense?  Nut-shelling, do you think more people are seeing shows than going to SDC on a daily bases?  I think in the 80's 90's but lots of theaters have closed.

I question there numbers, also.  The only full show I've been to in a year was the Grand Jubilee.  Most days at SDC have been full!!!  I've said for a few years that many visitors are migrating to lake activities.  Seldom do we ever find a cove without other boats anchored any more.  Try finding a slip without making reservations months in advance.  We used to make last minute trips and call for a slip at the last minute without and problems. And, talking to a lot of these boaters - they aren't going to shows, and when they come into town to eat - they do a couple activities with the family, and head back to the hotel for boating the next day.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »
I question these numbers but maybe I am in the minority. Have not been to a Branson show in over 5 years except SOTH. Just not my cup of tea or my families either. That is why I am glad to see new attractions on the strip and in adjacent towns. ZipLines, Mountain Coasters , At 59 years old I still like go carts. Could care less about giant ferris wheels. Looking forward to trying the escape room. We also prefer a nice dinner at a local dining establishment over one that packages a pre prepared meal with a show. Branson has some hidden gems for dining.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Branson has some hidden gems for dining.

That sounds like a great thread!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
Unless something changes, the theater business in Branson is doomed. The relatively well-known performers are quickly being replaced by tribute artists. As this continues to happen and as theaters continue to sit empty, this aspect of Branson is going to start to become less important to the city's success.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
All week has been a mad house where I work in Branson. The season seems to be off to a pretty good start. Between spring break and the archery competition this week the town has been buzzing. Had to fight some traffic getting to work today actually. Shows seem to be drawing some good crowds from what I've seen thus far. Even without the NAIA tournament, which I wish hadn't been forced to leave, its off to a good start

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Unless something changes, the theater business in Branson is doomed. The relatively well-known performers are quickly being replaced by tribute artists. As this continues to happen and as theaters continue to sit empty, this aspect of Branson is going to start to become less important to the city's success.

I disagree.  Mostly.

I think there are going to be theaters and live performances for decades to come in Branson.  However, it's going to narrow down as far as how many theaters and shows.  Without trying to insulting to any, the "lower quality" shows and theaters are going to gradually disappear, but i think the more popular ones aren't going to do anywhere, especially those that have done well in establishing themselves in other ways.

I'd imagine shows like SIX, Hughes Brothers, Presleys, Haygoods, Sight and Sound and ones like that aren't going to go anywhere.  They're all doing well, routinely drawing large crowds.  Others are going to struggle.  I don't see having two Chinese acrobat troupes survive long in Branson, but I'm sure one will.  Theaters like the White House and Mansion just seem "quiet" and I think we'll have a number of those gradually close up and disappear.

So there will be fewer theaters and shows.  But there's always going to be a number of them- and the better quality and the better publicity they have, the more likely they are to not just survive, but thrive.

Remember, just because YOU aren't seeing shows doesn't mean there aren't a ton of other people seeing them.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »
What Branson needs is an injection of newer famous performers. I'd love to see someone like Garth Brooks take up residency there, similar to how Vegas gets huge people like Britney Spears and Celine Dion and stuff.

I do like that the Welk Resort is bringing in Shrek the Musical for three months this year. Broadway shows could be another great staple in Branson.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
What Branson needs is an injection of newer famous performers. I'd love to see someone like Garth Brooks take up residency there, similar to how Vegas gets huge people like Britney Spears and Celine Dion and stuff.

I do like that the Welk Resort is bringing in Shrek the Musical for three months this year. Broadway shows could be another great staple in Branson.

I saw that Shrek was coming, I actually got excited. The traveling Broadway shows are a big draw here in Tulsa and they are very, very good!

I would think a theater in Branson could host some of these traveling tours and start bringing that style of entertainment to the area. Sampson proves this could be done well. I'm not sure "Book of Mormon" would do well in Branson, but Newsies, Aladdin, Jersey Boys, Les Miserables, Wicked, etc. could do very well. I'd buy tickets to multiple shows.

Also, if Branson keeps adding the other attractions: Mountain Coasters, Ferris Wheel, Wonder Works, Aquarium, etc. - those are things my family likes to do in addition to SDC. I could see Branson really starting to appeal more to the Young family.

Jay