Author Topic: 2019 Trip Reports  (Read 76594 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Trip Reports
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2019, 11:48:59 AM »
For those of you have seen the new tree, I am curious about what type of music they are using this year. If memory serves me correctly, the old tree featured instrumentals. The tree lighting on Facebook live featured some new music with vocals. Do they still use the old classics like David Foster's Carol of the Bells and the Polar Express music?

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2019, 07:16:49 AM »
I have a plan to be at the city the 20th and will have one spare ticket if someone needs it. I wont be there until 3 or so though. Will anyone else be there and need it?

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
For those of you have seen the new tree, I am curious about what type of music they are using this year. If memory serves me correctly, the old tree featured instrumentals. The tree lighting on Facebook live featured some new music with vocals. Do they still use the old classics like David Foster's Carol of the Bells and the Polar Express music?

Yes, they still have the iconic Carol of the Bells... not sure about Polar Express.
When we saw it, it was one song with vocals and one song without. The song without was Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Truthfully, it was kind of a letdown as the last song of the night. They should really end on Carol of the Bells each night.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »

Yes, they still have the iconic Carol of the Bells... not sure about Polar Express.
When we saw it, it was one song with vocals and one song without. The song without was Walking in a Winter Wonderland. Truthfully, it was kind of a letdown as the last song of the night. They should really end on Carol of the Bells each night.

Maybe it's because I bring my kids to SDC for Christmas each year and have since they were literally in the womb, and maybe its because they grew up watching the Polar Express, but when that tree starts playing the Polar Express music, it hits me in the feels.

And yes, I understand the irony in the fact that I'm the guy who always complains about modern music in the City. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.  ;D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »
^ You're no hypocrite Doc- I mean Pudgy- you just like to sound like one  :)
I'm Your Huckleberry

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
We were among the 2000 there on Thursday 11/7. Able to walk into first showing of Christmas Carol without waiting in line. Theater was full at show time, probably because everyone wanted to get out of the cold. There was a Marley that flew in. Only technical glitch was a singer's mike went out during 1 song.

After show we went to Chester's Chips before the second saloon show of the day. We got free chips because the registers were down. They thought it better to give away food than throw it away. Went to saloon show, many of the same gags as previous Christmas shows but could be better.

From there went to Living Nativity, small crowd. Fog machine used at beginning when narrator walked in produced a cloud that floated out into the theater and made it hard to see what was going on for a few minutes.

Walked around the park and went to get our season passes. Couldn't get passes because the computers were down and couldn't process the info, computers had been down all day so no passes sold. Somehow they could check attendance info for ornaments so we did pick those up.

Saw the 5:20 tree lighting. Some guy stood on the gazebo stage and talked a long time and then sang 2 songs. Was about 5:30 before the tree was lighted. The tree played 2 songs and then shut down. According to what I read, every 15 minutes the tree plays 2 songs. There are 6 songs this year.

We were back in our vehicle and out of the park shortly after 6.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2019, 11:51:37 AM »
There are actually 8 songs this year according to Brad Thomas
SWOOSH

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
Haven't posted in a while.  But still lurking.  Changing economics and family dynamics limit my visits to SDC to just once a year.  Just got home from ACE's Coaster Christmas at SDC.  It's such a well done event.  At any rate, I wanted to post the songs the new tree plays.
Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride are the only holdovers from the old tree that I can remember.  The other six songs are (in no particular order):
O Come All Ye Faithful
Joy to the World (different version)
Christmas Bells (Michael W. Smith)
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Rejoice with Exceeding Great Joy (Gaithers)
Hallelujah Chorus

The new tree is very impressive. And I don't mind the modern music with the tree.  But hearing Dan Fogelberg singing "Same Auld Lang Syne" back in the Grand Exposition was downright jarring. If the PTB read this, please note, I will hear that song on the radio 20 -30 times over the next to months.  You know what I won't hear.....Christmas Bluegrass music.  That's what I want to hear when I'm at SDC.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
There are actually 8 songs this year according to Brad Thomas

I just looked again at the SDC Pathfinder for the week of November 2 - 10. The article on the front page says the tree plays a total of 6 different songs, 2 per show, for a total of 3 different and unique shows.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
I counted 8 songs when I was there.  See my post above.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2019, 05:35:52 AM »
For what it is worth, in this making of video on YouTube released by SDC they say 8 songs at around the 5 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/RUel2E9iE_E

I counted 8 songs when I was there.  See my post above.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Haven't posted in a while.  But still lurking.  Changing economics and family dynamics limit my visits to SDC to just once a year.  Just got home from ACE's Coaster Christmas at SDC.  It's such a well done event.  At any rate, I wanted to post the songs the new tree plays.
Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride are the only holdovers from the old tree that I can remember.  The other six songs are (in no particular order):
O Come All Ye Faithful
Joy to the World (different version)
Christmas Bells (Michael W. Smith)
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Rejoice with Exceeding Great Joy (Gaithers)
Hallelujah Chorus

The new tree is very impressive. And I don't mind the modern music with the tree.  But hearing Dan Fogelberg singing "Same Auld Lang Syne" back in the Grand Exposition was downright jarring. If the PTB read this, please note, I will hear that song on the radio 20 -30 times over the next to months.  You know what I won't hear.....Christmas Bluegrass music.  That's what I want to hear when I'm at SDC.

Of the songs that we saw/heard, Christmas Bells gets my vote for best use of the new video/animation capabilities of the new tree. Matched the lyrics of the song very well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
Today was a great day to be at the park! Hubs and I got there about 1:30, and attendance was moderate even with several buses lined up to unload.  Park looked great, temps were mild, and we walked in to the shows we wanted to see (Scrooge and Wonder Life).  Both of them were nearly full by the time they started. At 6:30 a call came in to the Candle Shop while we there warning that the rain/lightning coming in was expected until 2 am.  It was picking up steadily, so we decided to leave.  As we walked to the Main Square, lights were being shut down including the tree.  It was weird seeing them turned off, but I assume that was the right decision.  I can't imagine the cost (and work) of replacing them after a lightning strike. 

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »