Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2019)  (Read 36868 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Your Travels Thread (2019)
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:27 PM »
Much like the 2018 edition of this thread, this will be the place to let everyone know where you are going / have gone during the 2019 calendar year.  To help others find information, we will make these threads last only one calendar year and then we will create another.

Adventure is Still Out There!  Cannot wait to see where everyone is going during 2019.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2019)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:03:49 AM »
I've rambled about it forever but its less than 6 months away
I see maybe a weekend trip to Dallas for Spring Break as 99.% of all resources till rhe minute we leave are going into Europe 2019.

May 25 - Flight booked XNA-ORD-LHR, Long layover(13hrs) in Chicago, Navy Pier or Field Museum, Pizza for Lunch, 1:20 Game at Wrigley Cubs vs. Reds. 5 to 6 pm back to ORD.

May 26 - Arrive in London at 11:20am. Plans in flux, depends on the jet lag and how much sleep we could get on the Red Eye. Staying Marlin Waterloo,  very near the London Eye.

May 27 to 28 - London! (Objectives are British Museum, Tower of London tour, Changing of Guards, Churchill War Rooms, possible Globe theater tour and/or show, couple of Markets, other activities/sightseeing).

May 29 - leave Central London for Oxford area

May 30 - Bath/Salisbury, Stonhenge Inner Circle Tour at 8pm(sunset).

May 31- Cotswold Drive  to Statford upon Avon

June 1- Warwick Castle for the day, then to Alton Towers.

June 2 - Alton Towers

June 3 - flight to Madrid from an area airport (Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, East Midlands) Tapas tour and possible Flamenco Show in evening.

June 4- Madrid/Toledo

June 5 - drive to Terragona see Consuegra Castle and Windmills of Quijote fame along the way

June 6- Port Aventura/Farrari Land

June 7 -Barcelona,  visit La Segrada Familia and Park Guell during Day, Tibidabo park at Sunset.

June 8- Begin Disney Cruise

June 9 - Port in Cannes, take train to Eze and work back to port or trip to St. Paul de Vence and back.

June 10 - train to Cinque Terre villages, go to farthest and work back accorring to time, take at least one water taxi between two of them.

June 11 - Port at Liverno. Tower of Pisa first thing, then a visit to a Tuscan Village like Lucca or San Gimignano.

June 12 - day at sea.

June 13 - port in Naples. Pompeii tour, back to Naples for pizza, Archiogical Museum and to view The Vieled Christ

June 14 - Cruise Ends in Rome

June 15 - Rome

Working on the rest but dates at Puy du Fou are firm for June 22 and 23.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
Maui, DC, and Yellowstone (hopefully Yellowstone!)

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »

The shutdown may stretch on for a bit. We may find iut how useleas some gov't agenciea really are. LOL

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »

I hope they will just shut the gates on the parks soon. It is terrible how irresponsible visitors are. I have seen some videos of trash in Yosemite and Yellowstone. People are pigs.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »

I hope they will just shut the gates on the parks soon. It is terrible how irresponsible visitors are. I have seen some videos of trash in Yosemite and Yellowstone. People are pigs.

I've been to Yellowstone four times but not in the last 15 yrs.  I can honestly say that I didn't see much trash at all, and we always camped.  The only dishonorable thing I saw was the Chinese guy that blew everyone off and walked across Old Faithful to look in the geyser.  Sadly, no park rangers around at that moment, but an angry crowd that I was sure held a few people that wanted to go after him.

A continued shutdown could hamper a lot of folk's vacation plans.  I've seen all the monuments and most of the main museums in DC and loved them! If I can't get into them this trip, I'm okay with it.  My goal is a trip to the WH, and I have an "in" that can make that possible regardless of shutdown.

Maui is the problem this year.  We should've made reservations long before now, but got busy building and moving. Trying to find a condo during whale season now is like "a needle in a haystack, so we may have to plan that later this year.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:54:54 PM by Gilligan »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »

I've been to Yellowstone four times but not in the last 15 yrs.  I can honestly say that I didn't see much trash at all, and we always camped.  The only dishonorable thing I saw was the Chinese guy that blew everyone off and walked across Old Faithful to look in the geyser.  Sadly, no park rangers around at that moment, but an angry crowd that I was sure held a few people that wanted to go after him.

A continued shutdown could hamper a lot of folk's vacation plans.  I've seen all the monuments and most of the main museums in DC and loved them! If I can't get into them this trip, I'm okay with it.  My goal is a trip to the WH, and I have an "in" that can make that possible regardless of shutdown.

Maui is the problem this year.  We should've made reservations long before now, but got busy building and moving. Trying to find a condo during whale season now is like "a needle in a haystack, so we may have to plan that later this year.

Gilligan, I was in yellowstone last fall and it was immaculate.  I was referring to some photos I have seen recently. Even with the park in winter mode the trash is piling up. I just cannot believe people cannot carry out what they carry in. I belong to a group called Yellowstone forever which supports the park.

BTW, If you go this year plan to spend some extra time in Norris Geyser basin. It is seeing increased thermal activity and Steamboat has been erupting this year which has not happened since 2014.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »

Gilligan, I was in yellowstone last fall and it was immaculate.  I was referring to some photos I have seen recently. Even with the park in winter mode the trash is piling up. I just cannot believe people cannot carry out what they carry in. I belong to a group called Yellowstone forever which supports the park.

BTW, If you go this year plan to spend some extra time in Norris Geyser basin. It is seeing increased thermal activity and Steamboat has been erupting this year which has not happened since 2014.

I totally get what you're saying now! lol! I misread that one! I agree with you on all accounts about Yellowstone.  I've always wanted to see the park during Winter.  Hopefully, that will happen one day.  The hubs has been following the volcanic activity in the park.  You're right - the changes could make for a very interesting year!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
JANUARY
1 - Silver Dollar City - New Year's Celebration

FEBRUARY
25 - Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium
26 - Wonders of Wildlife Museum

MARCH
20 - Anakeesta
20 - Rail Runner
20 - Rowdy Bear Gravity Coaster
20 - Rowdy Bear Mountain Glider
21 - Dollywood - Festival of Nations
22 - Dollywood - Festival of Nations
23 - Smoky Mountain Park
23 - Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
31 - Silver Dollar City - Spring Break Days

APRIL
6 - Six Flags St. Louis
12 - Worlds of Fun Opening Day
TBD - Silver Dollar City - Festival of Wonder

JUNE
24 - Six Flags Great America
25 - Toronto
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Niagara Falls
27 - Darien Lake
28 - Kennywood
29 - Cedar Point

NOVEMBER
24 - Universal Studios Florida
25 - Islands of Adventure
26 - Daytona Beach
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
29 - Animal Kingdom

Silver Dollar City - New Year's Celebration
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:40:18 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 09:49:27 AM »
@ Chittlins...  that will be quite a trip, hope all goes as planned.  !!  and you have a great trip.~

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
@ Chittlins...  that will be quite a trip, hope all goes as planned.  !!  and you have a great trip.~

Thanks, I'm waiting on a  couple of things to get clearer to firm up the schedule between Rome and getting to Puy du Fou. Wanting to try for a Collossium at Night tour and a late afternoon Doge's Palace and evening St. Mark's Tour with a day in Florence in between. Florence can't be on Monday as Accademia is closed. If I can get the Collosium tour on a Fri or Sat night, we'll do Florence on Sun, leave Florence late morning on Monday and roll into Venice early Monday Afternoon, Tuesday drive thru Italian Alps to Fussen, spend the night and then get to Europa Park and fly to Nantes for Puy du Fou. We eant to squeeze in Rhine Falls from Fussen to Europe and squeeze in Lictenstein as well just say we have been there.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
A quiet year for me this year. Maybe a trip to Yellowstone again in the summer. I will decide last minute depending on the thermal activity.  Then a Mule deer and antelope hunting trip to Wyoming in October.

2020 will be back to Russia.
St. Petersburg instead of Moscow this time, Czech Republic.  then Bavarian Germany again. Then it will be on to the scandinavian countries.

Norway,Finland and Sweden. Probably will hike in Switzerland again for a few days.
 I will not plan ahead but just play it by ear. Buy a Eurorail pass and play it a day at a time. When I go to Europe I have found it is better to just stay away from the tourists traps and find the hidden things that are gems.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
A few things on the calendar at this point:

Feb 19-26 Walt Disney World with my daughter, including a day at Universal Orlando

May 20-24 approx Kentucky, including the Ark, Creation museum, and a day at the St Louis Zoo on the way home

July 22-Aug 5 Orlando, including Disney and hopefully Sea World, Busch, and maybe Legoland if we can work those in.  We'll have business meetings the last 5 days of that or so.

Oct 1-7 Disneyland in CA  First time back there in 15 years so really excited about that.

Who knows what else will pop up, but if it's like the last couple of years we'll likely have a couple of other things added to it as well.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
JANUARY
1 - Silver Dollar City - New Year's Celebration
15 - Sea Life Kansas City

MARCH
TBD - Silver Dollar City - Spring Break Days
20 - Dollywood - Festival of Nations
21 - Dollywood - Festival of Nations
22 - Anakeesta
22 - Rail Runner at Anakeesta
22 - Rowdy Bear Mountain Coaster
22 - Mountain Glider at Rowdy Bear
22 - Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster
23 - Smoky Mountain Park

APRIL
TBD - Worlds of Fun Opening Day
TBD - Six Flags St. Louis Opening Day
TBD - Silver Dollar City - Festival of Wonder

JUNE
24 - Six Flags Great America
25 - Toronto
26 - Canada's Wonderland
27 - Niagara Falls
27 - Darien Lake
28 - Kennywood
29 - Cedar Point

NOVEMBER
24 - Universal Studios Florida
25 - Islands of Adventure
26 - Daytona Beach
27 - Magic Kingdom
28 - Disney's Hollywood Studios
29 - Animal Kingdom

Sea Life Kansas City
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:56:53 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »
Swoosh.. that looks great.  I iwll have to go to KC and check that out,,

What was the comment about the "silly" rules?