Author Topic: Christmas 2018 attendance projections  (Read 4020 times)

Silverfan

• View Profile
Christmas 2018 attendance projections
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
I really want to take my family to SDC to see all the lights but I am afraid of the crowds. I am thinking of visiting on Thursday, November 8th because I have read Thursdays are best but I wasn’t sure if that held true with Veteams’s day being that weekend. Anyone have advice?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Christmas 2018 attendance projections
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
I really want to take my family to SDC to see all the lights but I am afraid of the crowds. I am thinking of visiting on Thursday, November 8th because I have read Thursdays are best but I wasn’t sure if that held true with Veteams’s day being that weekend. Anyone have advice?

Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the best day to go
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Veterans Day weekend is a frenzy!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 06:01:37 PM »
I'll correct that - The entire week is a frenzy!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
I'll correct that - The entire week is a frenzy!

Yes, it is..  Stay away if you can. the week following would be much "friendlier"... :D

Silverfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 04:08:28 AM »
What about the Sunday prior to  Vetrans weekend?  Theose are our only two options but if both are bad times to go,  we’ll skip it and try again next year. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
I would "guess" Sunday would be a safer day..   

There will be people coming to town all week, to stay through weekend..

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
We went Veterans Day weekend last year and New Years weekend.  Veterans Day weekend was very busy as expected, but I knew that ahead of time and it didn't keep us from going.  We bought Show Lovers passes for Dickens and IAWL and enjoyed the rest.  Typically the only ride we do during Christmas is the train, so we weren't concerned about any lines on them.  The train line is long, but if they're operating all trains it'll be about an hour at worst. 

New Years weekend was great and we were able to do all shows without Show Lovers and had a great time.

Our family has started doing Sundays when at all possible.  If we come to Branson Friday night or early Saturday morning, it gives us the day Saturday to do what we want and then we go to park on Sunday where crowds have been lighter and we will leave around 5 for the 4 hour ride home.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
I think that would be your best day (Sun. before).  Many people in town, especially families, leave on Sunday for the drive home.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »

So I'm reading your post and everyone's response, and I have to admit, I'm a bit confused.
You're wanting to come on Thursday, Nov 8th.

Veterans Day is technically Sunday, Nov 11th, and will be observed on Monday the 12th, which is AFTER you would visit.  It really shouldn't affect the day you would want to visit at all.  If you were talking about the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of that weekend, then yes, I would expect it to be packed busy on all of those days.  But on Thursday?  It should be pretty light crowds I would think.

Unless they are doing the Thursday cheap tickets still at that point in time.  Then it can be pretty busy.

So if there are no Thursday cheap tickets, then your Thursday before Veterans Days should be a great time to visit, as I would think the crowds wouldn't hit until the day after.  But if they still have the Thursday specials, then yes, the Sunday previous to that would be better.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »

Frankly speaking, you are going the only time I am willing to go at Christmas.  Before Thanksgiving, almost any days are acceptable however a Thursday should be especially light.  I think you have a great plan.  From Thanksgiving through to the end the season weekends can be really challenging.

Silverfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
Thank you all for responding!  One more question.  This might be crazy talk since it's so expensive, but...has anyone done the VIP tour and would that be a big help with the crowds during Christmas?