Author Topic: Last Season for Cedric and Cajun Connection  (Read 7591 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Last Season for Cedric and Cajun Connection
« on: June 09, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
Terry Sanders posted a statement on FB written by Cedric Benoit to let everyone know that a meeting took place two weeks ago informing him that this would be their last year at the City.  While I don't usually stop and listen to a full set, I always enjoy the familiarity of walking by and hearing them play.  They will be missed.  I hope this doesn't mean Danny Eaken and the Pickers are next. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:31:33 PM by Gilligan »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Cedric and Cajun Connection
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
All I will say is that there’s a lot of changes going on right now.  If they’ll be for the better remains to be seen. 
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Last Season for Cedric and Cajun Connection
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
The Pickers are on my 3 Favorite List in the City:  Pickers, train, FM.

But I have to admit I've never heard of Cedric.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
While I hate to see the "changing of the guard" and I really hate to see someone forced out of their position, I really feel it was time to go a new direction. I like all kinds of music and will often go from a metal show to a bluegrass show in the same night, I just could not get into his music. I tried for years... but I had trouble with the cajun and honestly most of the songs were very similar. It actually used to be a running joke between me and my daughter about that show...

I think that music ties to a different time... I am 46 but all of my friends are 26-30 and they detest cajun music. And I think that sometimes you just have to move on.

Quite honestly, I miss John Corbin immensely. I think he was forced out too with a change in direction. Things change. I get it. And I know many people really enjoyed Cedric... I was just not one of them

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
While I hate to see the "changing of the guard" and I really hate to see someone forced out of their position, I really feel it was time to go a new direction. I like all kinds of music and will often go from a metal show to a bluegrass show in the same night, I just could not get into his music. I tried for years... but I had trouble with the cajun and honestly most of the songs were very similar. It actually used to be a running joke between me and my daughter about that show...

I think that music ties to a different time... I am 46 but all of my friends are 26-30 and they detest cajun music. And I think that sometimes you just have to move on.

They have their own following like the Pickers do.  For me (personally) the only time I enjoy Cajun music is during Mardi Gras season.  They ought to see if Six Flags would like to hire them for their festival that runs in July
SWOOSH

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 10:54:02 PM »
While I feel do feel bad for Cedric and the other musicians, I think this is the right move for the park. I certainly want the park to retain the talented musicians that give so much character to the park; however, I have always found Cajun Connection to be tired. I tried several times and maybe it was the music they were singing and playing, but more than any other group they always felt to me like they were coasting, as if their heyday was long behind them. I just hope that the park will make an effort to replace them; I would hate for them to be replaced with no one at all.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
Well... the park still hasn’t replaced Pure Heart so I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much. 
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
I myself have always liked the Cajun Connection and tried to catch a set everytime I was there.   But...I have to admit it is probably time for a change to be made.   Yes, Pure Heart moved on (or pushed on) and also Frisco Jack & John the second string band disappeared a couple of years ago.  Not sure what happend there,  it could have been just a retirement thing.  They would play in place of the Pickers when they were gone.  I also enjoy the Sons Of The Silver Dollar but the way its going they just might be next.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
  I also enjoy the Sons Of The Silver Dollar but the way its going they just might be next.

The wife enjoys The Sons,  But have had group member changes for the last 2 or 3 years.    LOL,  thats hard to do when there are on 3 to begin with.. ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:27:43 AM »
Yeah, just like everything else... new corporate mindset + oldtimers getting old and leaving with no one to replace them. Sons of Silver Dollar will be next, and eventually the homestead pickers will age out as well.

I'm wondering when the first Six Flags style show will come in. You know, the ones where they dance around and lip-sync to recorded country/pop covers.

The bluegrass bands still bring people in. Last time I was there it was raining on a Sunday evening, but the dockside theatre was packed for the last set of one of the bluegrass family bands. They just don't seem to want to pay enough to keep some of these types in residence anymore.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
  I also enjoy the Sons Of The Silver Dollar but the way its going they just might be next.

The wife enjoys The Sons,  But have had group member changes for the last 2 or 3 years.    LOL,  thats hard to do when there are on 3 to begin with.. ;D

Hoss retired.  The lead tenor decided to go back home.  The group is actually better this year.  If you haven’t had a chance to see them this year definitely do so.  Tom is the only remaining original member and he’s not going anywhere
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »

Hoss retired.  The lead tenor decided to go back home.  The group is actually better this year.  If you haven’t had a chance to see them this year definitely do so.  Tom is the only remaining original member and he’s not going anywhere

thats correct and the tenor (jim ellis) that replaced the other tenor, is not with them this year...  LOL.  that like 3 in 3 years..!!   almost like open season..... ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »
I myself have always liked the Cajun Connection and tried to catch a set everytime I was there.   But...I have to admit it is probably time for a change to be made.   Yes, Pure Heart moved on (or pushed on) and also Frisco Jack & John the second string band disappeared a couple of years ago.  Not sure what happend there,  it could have been just a retirement thing.  They would play in place of the Pickers when they were gone.  I also enjoy the Sons Of The Silver Dollar but the way its going they just might be next.

Pure Heart is still doing a lot of singing and shows around the area, but not as much as they used to, even when they worked at SDC.  But you can catch them here and there.

Frisco Jack retired about a year back.  I haven't seen John in quite a while though.  Not sure what happened to him or if he's even at SDC anymore.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:47:14 AM »
We talked to Tom last month when we were there.

Jim wanted more time with his family--who can blame him?

Rich is really grown into his role, and I think he'll be around a while.

We miss Jim, but Michael is *really* good, and I think he'll fit in well.

As long as the City puts on shows, they'll need guys like these, so I am very optimistic about the future of the Sons.