Author Topic: 2018 Trip Reports  (Read 22148 times)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
Re: 2018 Trip Reports
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2019, 03:38:26 PM »
The younger son was disappointed to see that the figures were lit throughout Grandma's Christmas story (and that it wasn't grandpa).  I can only guess them timer was not working right, and they didn't bother to fix it so late in the season.

Grandma?  Wonder what prompted that.  They must have had some grandpas call out and didn't have fill ins.

BTW, the lights are not on a timer.  There's 2 "grandpas" out there at a time- while one is telling the story the other is sitting in the shack listening on a monitor and keying the lights on and off as well as starting and stopping the music to go along with the granpa telling the story.  If it was a "grandma" telling the story (already unusual) it's possible that there was another sub in the cabin running the lights/ music and maybe rather than miss a cue decided to just leave them on.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
Kathy was out there a few times this season doing the spiel.  The lights had some issues after a storm blew through and since some became inoperable they just left them on the remainder of the season... well the ones that still worked
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »
When I rode the train on the 22nd, grandma did the story and the lights appeared to be working correctly.

palallin

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys!

It wasn't Kathy--she was at the depot; we didn't recognize this Grandma.

Interesting that the lights are manual!  That actually makes a great deal of sense.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
Kathy was out there a few times this season doing the spiel.  The lights had some issues after a storm blew through and since some became inoperable they just left them on the remainder of the season... well the ones that still worked

We were there sunday, and all of the lights were working then..

They had a lot of rain/moisture over the weekend, so water may have soaked into electical connection..

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
We went for a brief last fling on Sunday.  We drove down after church and got to the city about 3:30.  We were surprised but gratified to see spots available in Lot 2 (though we parked in 3 to avoid the crowding).  The temps hovered in the lower '40s and we got a few sprinkles but no real rain to speak of.

We saw a handful of middle-aged ladies go through the baggage check and have 7 small bottles of booze confiscated.  They took it in good enough humor that I suspect they had already been imbibing.   ::)

We were sorry to see that the stores were essentially sold out of lye soap.  We stood in line a long time of Dickens and rode the train.  The younger son was disappointed to see that the figures were lit throughout Grandma's Christmas story (and that it wasn't grandpa).  I can only guess them timer was not working right, and they didn't bother to fix it so late in the season.

We left about 8:30 to avoid the late rush. 

The city was not really crowded, especially after the second parade.

I suppose the employees are forbidden to say "Merry Christmas" after the 25th?  Everyone said "Happy New Year," even in response to "Merry Christmas."  But, gosh! Sunday was only the 6th Day of Christmas!

There was a grandpa but most of the lights on the figures were not working correctly when we rode the train on 12/6. Some stayed lit the entire time, some never came on.

We bought lye soap in the Ozark Marketplace on the way out -- just happened to see it on a display table.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
Very interesting reading.  We were there on the 22nd and it was a grandpa- one I knew well in fact- and all the lights worked just fine.  I was very pleased since I was video taping it.  I honestly didn't have a clue they were using grandmas this year as anything more than an emergency measure.

The lights not turning on and off during the show is concerning, as that's run by a person and a light board during it.  That really makes me wonder what was going on with the person in the shack who was supposed to be doing that part.  Especially since it seems it was happening on much more than a rare occasion.

Really makes me wonder.  But almost everyone I knew and worked with on the train is gone now, and the ones that are left...  Still close with a couple engineers, but even there has been a bunch of turnover in the last year to year and a half.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

palallin

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »

We bought lye soap in the Ozark Marketplace on the way out -- just happened to see it on a display table.

Alas, none left by the end of the month.

palallin

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2019, 06:32:08 PM »
But almost everyone I knew and worked with on the train is gone now, and the ones that are left...  Still close with a couple engineers, but even there has been a bunch of turnover in the last year to year and a half.

Very true, and I miss them.  Some of the newer ones are very good--like Chris and Kathy--but many of the older ones, like Rick and Ben, had become good friends.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »
When we rode the train on the Sunday before Christmas we had a grandpa; however, his microphone quit working so we didn't get to hear his story. Very disappointing after waiting in a long line.